Roasted Or Basted Turkey

Decorating By MrsMissey Updated 16 Oct 2012 , 4:01pm by patticake1951

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 114

It is that time of year again and I am getting quite a few requests for the directions for my roasted turkey. I had posted the instructions in an earlier thread but will repost them here in case anyone is having trouble locating that thread:

Here we go! If it seems that I have left something out by accident or if you have any questions just let me know..I'll be happy to help! I wish I had written everything down when I was making my turkey cake but I didn't!

I baked the following:
1 9x13 cake
1 half egg (the large one) cake
8 mini egg half cakes

I started out by putting the 9 x 13 on a regular turkey serving plate for effect but you don't have to! Place your large egg shaped cake (round side up) and put on top of the 9 x 13 cake, with icing in between to hold in place. I didn't use any dowels or any support. Carve the 9 x 13 to match the shape of the large egg cake...save the scrap cake pieces. On the pointy end of the large egg cake, I sort of hollowed that end out to resemble the cavity of the turkey. On the opposite end a carved in a slight vertical indentation to resemble the other end!

Attach two of the mini egg cakes together with icing to make an egg shape and repeat this with the remaining egg cakes; these will be the drumsticks/wings. Attach these to the body, with icing. You'll need to cut away one side of each of these mini eggs to get them nice and close. For the wings I attached ice cream cones with icing..you may need to break away pieces of the ice cream cone to get it to sit right. For the drumsticks I inserted the hollow plastic dowels on an angle.

Once all is in place cover the cake with a thick crumb coat and add extra icing to build up where necessary and to get the desired shape. Let it crust over. Then with tan/brown icing go over the cake with a nice thick layer of icing. Let it crust over, pat with a textured paper towel to get that "skin" look.

Airbrush the cake with brown coloring OR if you don't have an airbrush, just mix color with water and use a spray bottle. Let this dry really good before the next step or you will have a mess!

In a spray bottle mix warm water, Karo syrup and brown coloring and spray the turkey cake lightly!!!!! This gives the wet look. I don't have a ratio of water, syrup and color. It just has to be thin enough to pass thru the spray bottle.

Cut your cake scraps into squares and attach to the cavity with icing to resemlbe the stuffing/dressing. I made the paper frills out of regular paper and slid those on the ends of the drumsticks. Add lettuce leaves around the base if you choose and that's it!

I think that about covers it! Again, if you have any questions, just let me know! Enjoy!
LL

113 replies
jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 114

Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:44am
post #3 of 114

thank you soooo much, sounds like a lot of work is involved~you did such an awesome job..... don't think i'll be able to do such a great job, but i think i will try next year!!!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 114

thank you!!!!! You explain well!!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 114

Thank you so much for the instructions! I may try one of these this year. Good reason to get my airbrush!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 114

This is awesome - thanks!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 114

This cake looks too real!! thanks for the instructions.
I would love to give this cake a try and make it. but i don't have any type of sprayer. Any suggestions?

thanks!
Kat

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 114

Kat, it says if you don't have an airbrush you can just mix the brown color with water and spray it on.......(wishing I had an airbrush too).....but may have to try it anyhow...what the heck?? it's too cool of a cake not to try.....I can see it now....Fri. Nov. 24......723 turkey cakes uploaded!!!!!!! LOL

MrsMissey Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 114

You could try using colors gels, thinned with a little water and put in a spray bottle OR start with tan/brown icing and then once it has crusted over, put some brown color gel on a paper towel and "dab" it on the icing...just some ideas to try..

MrsMissey Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

.....I can see it now....Fri. Nov. 24......723 turkey cakes uploaded!!!!!!! LOL

...lol.. that's funny!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 114

oops, i guess i went over the post too fast!! thanks.
If i give it a try i'll have to start a wk early and freeze the cakes.

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 114

What a great cake, it looks so real. I just may have to try that. Thanks for the instructions.

~*~Casey

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 114

If I get extremely nervy in the next month, I may have to give this a try.
Looks complicated, but you gave very good directions! Thanks!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:11am
post #14 of 114

Thanks! I have been prepping myself to do this cake, kind of as a gift to my hubby. He ALWAYS has to make the turkey for Thanksgiving. Now I will have a turkey to make!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:27am
post #15 of 114

I read these instructions in your previous thread and really want to try it, but I have been looking for two weeks and can't find the 'egg' pans you refer to. Are they Wilton brand? Any idea where to get them? Thanks!

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:49am
post #16 of 114

thank you SO much for the detailed instructions! I SOO wanna try this!!!!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:37am
post #17 of 114

Would anyone know what else to use besides the egg pans? I don't have them and our Thanksgiving is this weekend so no time to buy one off of ebay.......I'm racking my brain and am coming up empty (this is not unusual!)

MrsMissey Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:11pm
post #18 of 114

The egg pan is from Wilton but I'm sure a football pan would work too. Honestly, even just a round pan would work, you would just have to do more "carving" to get that domed shape.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:09pm
post #19 of 114

I bought the footbal pan earlier this week because I couldn't find the egg pan, but what about the mini eggs. I haven't figured out what I will use there. Cupcakes, maybe.

MrsMissey Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:41pm
post #20 of 114

Cupcakes would work or even a regular cake just cut down to the shape you need.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:51pm
post #21 of 114

You have done a beautiful work of art! Thank you for the instructions on how to duplicate your amazing work. I'm sure that eventhough I would follow your instructions to a tee, my cake will never look as great as yours.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 4:55pm
post #22 of 114

Oh, by the way, MrsMissey, I noticed that your birthday is tomorrow. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

lilica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilica Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 114

dang!! i saw the egg pan at a garage sale but thought I would never use it so didn't buy it icon_cry.gif

Your cake is awsome. Thanks so much for the instructions thumbs_up.gif

gatorbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorbear Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:33pm
post #24 of 114

That is great! Thanks for sharing!!!!

MrsMissey Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:55pm
post #25 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShields

Oh, by the way, MrsMissey, I noticed that your birthday is tomorrow. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:00am
post #26 of 114

That is awesome! How do we save the picture on here? I didn't see it in your photos.

MrsMissey Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:06am
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofjakeandjosh

That is awesome! How do we save the picture on here? I didn't see it in your photos.

Thanks! It is on page 2 of my photos, here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=MrsMissey&cat=0&pos=50

kakeladee54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee54 Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 1:36am
post #28 of 114

New to this site and could not have found it at a bettertime. Someone is asking me to make a turkey cake for her brothers bd. Your instructions were great. I just hope I can pull it off.
Great job and thank you.

kakeladee

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 4:10am
post #29 of 114

I would love to practice this cake before Thanksgiving. But I want it be a smaller one. How can I do that? Maybe use part cake dummy or something? I am stumped.

Thanks,
Cecilia

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 14 Oct 2006 , 1:43am
post #30 of 114

thanks for posting this

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%