What Would You Charge?

Decorating By Sherry0565 Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm by berryblondeboys

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 10

I made this cake for my Daughter's Bridal Shower, and one of the guests wanted a price, because she wants the same cake for her wedding. (different colors though).
The cakes are all 2-layer, and they are 14in, 10in, and 6in. All are iced with White Choc. raspberry buttercream. The flowers were all made with Royal Icing. I really hadn't given any thought to what I would charge for it, because I made it for my Daughter. It took alot of time.

Thanks,

Sherry

9 replies
Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 10

Ok...I'm gonna try to add the pic again! IF it doesn't come through, the cake is the last pic added to my gallery. Basketweave heart cake.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 10

icon_eek.gif Oh my heavens your cake is wondeful!!! I wish I could help with a price, but I am finding I underprice something terrible!!!

I know someone will be able to help, but I just had to tell you how beautiful that cake is!!! Super job! thumbs_up.gif

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 10

What do decorators charge in your area? I would say about $3 per serving. My best advise is: make sure after you have factored in the cost associated with making the cake that you are happy with what you are making per hour for the labor involved. icon_smile.gif

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 10

The only wedding cake I have ever made was for free and was considered a wedding gift to my sister....however if I had an individual ask me to make the lovey buttercream cake that you did for their wedding I would charge $1.75/serving. The bottom two tiers serves 110. I would give her the top tier (anniversary cake) for free. So that would be $192.50. If she wants to do taste testing then you will have to charge more for that and I would charge a $25 set up and delivery fee for a total of $217.50. If she wants you to stay and help serve it then you will have to charge for that too. If you start your prices too low then people are going to expect you to keep them that way. It doesn't matter who's friend she is she is paying for services of a talented professional. Good Luck.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 10

I would say $3.00 a serving, if it's all buttercream, more if those flowers are fondant or gumpaste! Also, if they are getting the top cake (anniversary tier), then they should pay for it. Why should my labor and ingredients be given away free? If they want three tiers, they pay for three tiers at the same per serving price.

Kathi

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 10

I would say $2-2.50 per serving. I also would charge for the top tier.

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 10

I would want to get at least $500 for that cake. It looks like a lot of work. $500 or $3 a serving which ever is greater. If you price too high and they dont want it then you have lost nothing because you weren't planning on selling the cake anyway.

good Luck.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 10

your cake is very pretty. if it were me, and i was doing scratch recipes, i would charge $3 per serving. while i dont find butercream to be of top notch excitement or expense for a cake, i do find that basketweave is a ton of piping and your labor aspect has significantly increased. i wouldnt do it for less than $3 per serving.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

The only wedding cake I have ever made was for free and was considered a wedding gift to my sister....however if I had an individual ask me to make the lovey buttercream cake that you did for their wedding I would charge $1.75/serving. The bottom two tiers serves 110. I would give her the top tier (anniversary cake) for free. So that would be $192.50. If she wants to do taste testing then you will have to charge more for that and I would charge a $25 set up and delivery fee for a total of $217.50. If she wants you to stay and help serve it then you will have to charge for that too. If you start your prices too low then people are going to expect you to keep them that way. It doesn't matter who's friend she is she is paying for services of a talented professional. Good Luck.

No WAY!!! That barely covers the cost of making the cake when you count in all that you would need to transport it and assemble it. If it costs me $15 for a n 8" two layer cake, that serves 20, that means just the COST of making it is $1.33 a slice. You HAVE to factor in electricity, gas to get supplies, gas to deliver, food coloring, vanilla, EVERYTHING. So, if I were to charge only $1.95 and then only get 62 cents a serving, that means that I am earning a total of $68.20 if I give away the top tier (NEVER would I do that). I'm going to "guess" that this cake too more than ten hours, but let's say you were able to make this cake in ten hours including delivery and set up... then I'm paying myself $6.80 an hour... I'll guess however that this too closer to 15 hours with the flowers and basket weave (I have not idea since I do neither) and delivery and set upand then you have me making only a little over $4.50 an hour. How is that "paying for expertise"?

DON'T UNDERSELL YOURSELF!!!

I realize I live in an expensive area, but I would charge probably $3.50 a serving if made from scratch and with top ingredients and I would definitely charge for the top tier if they wanted it to save. These are a lot of work to make and take a lot of organization...

Melissa

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%