Sponge Cakes - Large Recipe - How Long To Bake For

Baking By MariaLovesCakes Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 4:54pm by unforgetable2u

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 2

How do you adjust the temperature when you are going to bake a large batch of Sponge Cake?

For example: I have this large batch that is divided into different size pans and the instructions say to bake it at 375 Farenheit.

If I was to put this batch into a larger pan, lets say a 12 x 3 inch round, could I bake it at the same temperature, or do I adjust it.

Sponge cake tend to be different than other yellow cakes, so I don't want to bake at the wrong temperature and mess up the cake.

Any ideas?

1 reply
unforgetable2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unforgetable2u Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 2

i found this article ..its called tips and trouble shooting.. as for what temp i dont think i would change the temp just let it bake longer?

Make sure your oven temperature is correct and has had time to fully preheat. It's a good idea to invest in a separate oven thermometer - the dials aren't always that accurate.
Prepare the tin by coating with a thin layer of oil and lining the base with a circle of greaseproof paper or baking parchment. This stops the cake from sticking on the sides and bottom. If using butter or margarine, it should be soft but not melted or oily. The eggs should also be at room temperature, and not straight out of the fridge, if possible. Beat them lightly in a small bowl before adding them gradually to the cake mixture.
If the mixture begins to curdle while adding the eggs, add a teaspoon of the flour - a curdled mixture will still taste fine, just be slightly denser than one that hasn't.
The mixture should be of 'dropping consistency' which means it will fall reluctantly off a spoon when given a light jerk. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water, milk or lemon juice, whichever is appropriate Be gentle - the idea is to keep air bubbles inside the cake, so use a light hand when folding and spooning into the tin. Try not to open and shut the oven door too much as a rush of cold air can inhibit the rising process.
If the cake is rising unevenly, it means one side of your oven is hotter than the other. Simply give it a half turn, making sure the tin is in the centre of the rack.
If the top of the cake is browning too fast, lay a piece of tin foil over the top and double check your temperature.
To check for doneness, lightly press the top - it should spring back. Or insert a skewer or cocktail stick in the centre - it should come out clean. Also, the cake will continue cooking in the tin for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.When cool enough to handle, turn the cake out upside down, peel off the paper and turn right side up onto a rack. This allows steam to escape and the cake to cool quickly.
And don't forget - even if your effort doesn't look like it came out of a packet (so much the better), it's going to taste great ...

i hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%