I Need To Know How To Make A Plumeria

Decorating By Pitchers_Bakery Updated 27 May 2008 , 5:24pm by cupcakemkr

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:40am
post #1 of 5

I am trying to make a cake, and dont know what icing to use, or even how to make a plumeria.... can anyone help. I really want to make the plumerias out of icing or whatever else, but I am very very new at this and need step by step help.... can anyone give me some ideas... or links please... pictures always are helpfull!!!

thanks

4 replies
OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:26am
post #2 of 5

They are actually quite easy to make out of gumpaste, or 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. My scanner isn't working, or I'd send you the instructions, but if you can imagine it, the petal is a very elongated rose petal/teardrop shape. Roll out your gumpaste quite thickly - this is a fleshy flower - and with a small balling tool, run just inside the edge of the cut petal, to give it that distinctive curl. Arrange the petals in a fan shape, then roll and twist the bottom. I sit mine in a liqueur glass lined with foil to dry, so that I can control how "open" they'll be. These flowers are best coloured with a soft brush and petal dust after they dry - it looks more natural.
If you google using images, check both plumeria and frangipani - lots of lovely examples!
HTH - Let us know how you get on!

BlackBoxBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackBoxBakery Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much for your instructions. This walk thru was invaluable for a tropical cake I just did.
Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

Great Directions OzCookie. I'm sure these are very life like. If you want to do them a little faster, all I do is roll my fondant (mixed with Tylose) about the thickness of a tortilla then I cut them with a petal cutter and flatten one of the sides with my thumb. That way there is a little "ridge" on one edge. You should have 5 petals per flower and you want to attach them together with each petal facing the same direction. I have a couple plumeria cakes in my gallery - take a look. Good Luck, they really are one of the easier flowers.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 5

Here is a tutorial I just found today - Hope it helps!

http://www.fira.com.au/Frangipani.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%