The Redneck In You

Lounge By Katie-Bug Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 3:34am by Ladyofcake

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:13am
post #1 of 52

Okay, I am beleiver that we all have some red neck in us it's just a matter of how much and how often you let it show.
I have been thinking about this for a while, what or how do you show your redneck side?
Me, well there is quite a list but a few....Well I just got home from the Demolation (sp?) Deby! It is a huge deal, sat in line for 30minutes to get in, plan for it for at least two weeks. We yell, scream, and get such a kick out of watching old cars hit wach other. I had so much fun!! My favorite won!!! I yelled and cheered! I never do stuff like that!

And, well this is actually embrassing. icon_redface.gif Every 4th of July we met on the farm, in a barn for lunch. Everyone brings side dishes and the host kills and roast at least two pigs. We eat, listen to live bluegrass, and then...go on a hay ride. We take small fireworks with us on the ride. They shoot smoke bombs and bottle rockets from the hay ride and place firecrackers under the wagons! Stupid, yes..very. We always do this though and actually have a ball. icon_redface.gif

So, I have shared my embrassing red neck moments, anyone else willing to share? icon_biggrin.gif

51 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 52

ummm, I am from the north but my family is from the south so I have plenty. I absolutely LOVE mudding. I love going into the woods and taking the trails to find huge amounts of mud to go riding through on a dirt bike or 4-wheeler. To the point where you have to get sprayed off with a house before you can even attempt to step foot in the house.
I like the demolition cars too.
my grandma even did snuff from the box and had the spit cans hid everywhere in the house and on the ironing board.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 52

Having a pig roast and a hay ride isn't red neck!

My kids make fun of me because I pee'd in the yard. We were in the pool and I had to go! I didn't want to traipse thru the house all dripping wet and peel off a wet bathing suit, so I got out of the pool, stood in the yard, pee'd, then got back in the pool. (what? what? icon_confused.gif ) Geesh, they didn't want me to pee in the pool, did they?

Since I had foot surgery, I can't go barefooted (grass feels like needles), so I have to wear at least a sock on my left foot. They hate it when I go to the mailbox wearing one house slipper or one sock. ("The other foot is fine .... what? what?") Besides, my socks last twice as long since I only wear them one at a time! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 52

icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif indydebi......I am rolling here laughing at you with your one socked self! thumbs_up.gif Yes, I am from the South...and yes, you can call us rednecks......one of my favorites is to run get the paper in my pajamas ( and my pj's are decent ones! icon_rolleyes.gif ).......and I do mean RUN. icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif Well, it's not like I am nekkid out there.....rofl! icon_razz.gificon_smile.gif It drives my dks insane....we live in the country, and the traffic on our road early in the morning is next to nothing.......

Katie-Bug Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 52

I don't think the hay ride and pig roast makes us a redneck, but the combinatins of the two mixed with the fireworks just might.

I thank it was good of you to step outisde of the pool! Nice of you!

Okay let's see what else I can bare to tell. Well...when I was little my grandmother kept me and my sister, who is six yers older then me. When I was four my grandmother taped up playing outside after a rain. We made mud pies, I was a baker from the begging! icon_biggrin.gif After we made the pies we sat them up and then my sister told me it was time to eat them.....and I DID!! icon_redface.gificon_razz.gificon_redface.gif Yes, the camera was rolling the entire time! icon_cry.gif

Anyone else want to share a funny?? thumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 52

Is it a little redneck when you're children are under 10 and both have guns? icon_lol.gif And then shoot them in the yard (under heavy supervision)?

I'm also so far from good shopping that going to Walmart can be exciting. icon_redface.gif

It's nothing compared with my in-laws. They save all their old vehicles in case they might need a part off them 5 years from now. icon_confused.gif And you should have heard them last week when they went to Fargo, the traffic is horrible according to them, this was in the middle of the day on a week day. icon_confused.gif I think it wouldn't have been so bad if they weren't both sure that they knew which way they were going (both having different ideas) and my MIL wasn't such a bad back seat driver. And it's Fargo, North Dakota.

Katie-Bug Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 52

Oh, yay! My in-laws to be save all the old vehicles! They are hide all over the farm "just in case".

My sister's in laws save ALL vehicles, I mean even the totaled ones! icon_confused.gif My brother-in-law was in a accident when he was 16, almost killed him, broke every bone from collar bone down! They kept the car!! Last Thanksgiving his grandfarther and uncle were killed in a acciden the day before Thanksgiving. The women went to make the arrangements and the men went and got the car!! icon_confused.gif

I have always been around with guns. My farther would give me and my sister one for every Christmas. We were very supervised!! thumbs_up.gif When my nephew came along, the first grandchild, 16 days before Christmas, he got a gun too!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

I have always been around with guns. My farther would give me and my sister one for every Christmas. We were very supervised!! thumbs_up.gif When my nephew came along, the first grandchild, 16 days before Christmas, he got a gun too!!

My oldest got his first gun when he wasn't quite 2, he didn't use it for a few more years but my FIL couldn't wait. The youngest is 4 and he has that one now. They've also seen what guns can do to a living creature, my FIL raises some animals for butcher and they've watched him (my youngest likes to talk about eating the dead cow).

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:32am
post #9 of 52

My parents used to have a gun rack over their bed, to try and 'pretty' it up, my mom wrapped plastic vines and flowers around it. Very romantic!
Hubby always is teasing me about my rednick-isms-he's a yankee and I just poke fun right back.
Let's see, mine shows when I want to eat a potted meat sammich, or have some corned beef hash out of the can. And guess who got hubby hooked on SPAM?

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:39am
post #10 of 52

I would win this one HANDS DOWN, so much, I won't tell you the REALLY redneck stuff about growing up. I'm talking, sheets for curtains, cars on blocks, hotel soap for the guests. I literally made a swimming pool when I was little out of our new gravel pile and a piece of plastic!! Now that I think about it, we were just really poor!!! icon_lol.gif

I think that the best thing is my father-in-law. He literally now owns and runs a multi-million dollar company but is a redneck at heart. He drives a truck to work, has DUCT TAPE on his shoes, only wears plaid and jeans, and even today asked me to get the biggest "cotton-pickin plate" I could find to put the BBQ chicken on that he grilled after church icon_smile.gif I love that man!!

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:41am
post #11 of 52

sarahkate, he sounds like an incredible, down to earth guy! I'd luv to meet him someday!

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #12 of 52

He really is. He is the closest thing to Christ I will encounter in my lifetime icon_smile.gif

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:07am
post #13 of 52

Where to begin... my son was not even born before he got his first camo. My
FIL is already planning for his first hunting trip!

My FIL is a hunter and he had many mounts (deer, pheasant and more) he wanted to actually put them in the living room! When my MIL objected he put them in their bedroom! Can you imagine getting up to pee in the middle of the night and having to stare at Bambi!?! About 10 years ago he donated them to
a local outfitters store but he still goes to visit!

icon_rolleyes.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:15am
post #14 of 52

Ok, here's one of my many: The only way to eat watermelon in my family is outside, cut it into wedges, juice dripping down to your elbows, spitting the seeds in the yard (you know, just the ones that didn't go down smoothly) and how do you discard the rinds? Oh yeah, by seeing who can throw them the farthest past the fence, of course!!

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

Ok, here's one of my many: The only way to eat watermelon in my family is outside, cut it into wedges, juice dripping down to your elbows, spitting the seeds in the yard (you know, just the ones that didn't go down smoothly) and how do you discard the rinds? Oh yeah, by seeing who can throw them the farthest past the fence, of course!!

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't do it that way?? icon_surprised.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:06am
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdutcher

You mean EVERYBODY doesn't do it that way?? icon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Apparantly not!!! My DH was floored when he saw us eat watermelon for the first time. He didn't know people actually ate "room temperature" watermelon!! His family cuts it up into squares (while removing the seeds!!!!) and puts it in the fridge to chill before serving!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Here's a couple more: I walk all up and down my street barefoot (and yes if it's cold, I do have socks on) I drive my kids to school in my pjs quite often (yes, sometimes in my socks, too). When we get together for the holidays we compare gross talents(moving each eyeball independantly, double jointed elbow and finger tricks, joint popping, etc.)
Oh, and my dh learned the hard way 2 years into our marriage that you don't mess with the mama of the family. If her kids don't take you down first, she will. Us siblings were in a snowball fight and she was laughing and carrying on and my dh decides to hit her with a snowball!! It hit her in the head and we all knew he was toast!! She got a big fist full of snow and rubbed it in his face, ended up popping the lense out of his glasses and everything!!.............ahhhh, good times!! There's a saying in our family: siblings are fare game, moms are off limits!! oh yeah, and moms ALWAYS win!! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:12am
post #17 of 52

OK here is my redneck side. Aside from the accent that comes out when I talk to my Grandmother who lives down south, we also just went to the Demolition Derby. It's the big thing to do here. Plus my DH used to drive derby cars. Now as for the car situation, we have a horrible looking green rock climber that hasn't had an engine in it for 4 years now, we also have a car in the garage that doesn't run, we had a VW rabbit that didn't run, (we just got rid of it), we have a 1942 2 ton truck that sort of runs, plus my DH drives a s-10 truck and did I mention that I drive a truck too. Mine is at least a nice f-150 supercrew 4x4. I will not drive a mini van!!! Anyways, we have quite a bit of crap in the back yard. (DH's doing) There's a bunch of rolled up chain link fencing that one day we will put up...maybe. Also there is steal support beams laying on the side of my house for no reason in particular and here's the kicker....our house is green and blue. The reason being is we have been scraping and painting it since May. It got hot and we quit so there it stands our green and blue partially scraped house. Our neighbors think we are so trashy. Now the inside of my house is nice. We just remodeled the bathroom and the office. So I guess I'm realizing that my DH is WAY more redneck than I am. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #18 of 52

Ok...I'll admit these things..but then you must all forget immediately and never speak of it again! icon_redface.gif

My dad bought my mom a new toilet for their 44th anniversary
( well..they DID need a new one) and was PROUD of it!
And... I have burping contests with my son...and I WIN!!

icon_surprised.gif
Directions to my house go something like this.. turn right at the *only* intersection ( we have no stop lights) ...then off the paved road..past the sand pit ( where everyone rides atvs) .....

I'm an hour and a half from the mall and 45 mins from Walmart!!
Geez.. I miss living in Tampa sometimes..

Btw, we won't EVEN get into the boat that sits right beside my house
( nope - couldn't find SOMEWHERE in the back yard to put it) that my hubby is going to "fix up" one of these days..

Ok erasing from your memory now! tapedshut.gif

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:22am
post #19 of 52

lol some of these things are pretty funny ... I am a southern transplant so I don't have a lot of redneck things I do but BOY my husband and his family are major redneck! its a hosepipe not a garden hose, wire plyers not needle nose plyers, buggie not shopping cart, Thee-A-tur not _thee-uh-tur, yonder, oh and all guys are called "son" even if they are older than you lol

I have my things, like I let my little boy run around with missmatched clothes on, he has been known to strip down naked ... we have all been known to pee outside from time to time when a bathroom is nowhere to be seen LOL oh and we love mudpits!

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #20 of 52

You know you are redneck when...I met my DH at my great uncle and his mother's wedding. My great grandmother tried for 6 months to get us together after the wedding. My kids called my father-in-law "great, great, uncle grandpa"! icon_lol.gif

As far as watermellon - the only way to eat it is with the juice running down your arms!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 52

I will admit mine. icon_redface.gif My youngest dd makes fun of me all the time, telling me that it is my fault that she got in trouble at school for mispelling wash. She spelled it the way she heard me pronounce it. icon_redface.gif She said I didn't know it doesn't have an "r" in it.I have always pronounced it "warsh",LOL!!!!!It is my TN accent coming out.When my DH was in the Army we went to MO and this woman lived next door to us and she heard me talk and said: Well we got another Loretta Lynn, here don't we"

Katie-Bug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:45pm
post #22 of 52

I have a friend who says "torlet" instead of toilet. icon_redface.gif

calley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calley Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #23 of 52

Let me put it this way, my front porch is a gooseneck trailer!

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #24 of 52

My best friend Ben had a toyota pick-up that had a drivers seat but the passengers sat on milk crates and to top it all off had no gas tank he ran a hose from a gallon milk jug which held the gas. Now that's redneck...or maybe just STUPID!

indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:03am
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele_belle

My best friend Ben had a toyota pick-up that had a drivers seat but the passengers sat on milk crates and to top it all off had no gas tank he ran a hose from a gallon milk jug which held the gas. Now that's redneck...or maybe just STUPID!

Oh man that beats my peeing in the yard by a LONG shot! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:18am
post #26 of 52

Callry, do you the gooseneck porch by choice or is it there for another purpose?

I have seen some rough toyota's but none that bad.

After all the talk about Watermelon, I went and got one and am fixing to eat some! icon_smile.gif

I'm loving the stories!! icon_biggrin.gif

calley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calley Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:29am
post #27 of 52

Yup, the gooseneck is there for the sole purpose of being the front porch. It just happened to be the right height where it is even with the front door. I guess another one would be that we own three one-ton Dodge diesels. But, then again, I am from South Texas so that alone would probably qualify me!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:30am
post #28 of 52

OK I might be redneck or at least living in red neck country--For one, I live in way rural Oklahoma right next to a huge building full of pigs--they're our nearest neighbors!! We once took a vacation with my son's show calf loaded up in the calf trailer behind us. I've made a few redneck groom's cakes--one a Copenhagen can, one a picture of the groom's show calf and another a deer head. Really--they're in my photos!! I've even made a redneck wedding cake--their colors were --you guessed it John Deere green and yellow.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:42am
post #29 of 52

not sure I'm a red-neck but I do live in a barn.
Not one of those cute little barn- like houses but an honest to goodness barn that my dh and BIL converted in to a home.

We had to evict the fruit bat and squirrel first. icon_redface.gif

It turned out very nice but the lady who assessed it marked us down for no hallways. Duh, lady we did that on purpose....hallways are wasted space!

DH sat on the porch shooting squirrels for the first month just to "thin out the herd".

And my children's favorite past time is playing in the huge hole they dug in the front.

mommachris

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 10:19am
post #30 of 52

Ok I gotta post to this one. But I am so tired from baking cake that I have to do this with a clear mind. I got alot of redneck issues so just wait and you will get a good laugh or 2 or 3 or 4 LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%