Second Paid Cake So Needing Your Help (Again)

Decorating By katharry Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 6:31pm by katharry

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 7:56am
post #1 of 13

Ive been asked to do a rugby league jersey (sort of like American football but without the padded uniforms ouch!) . The picture below is the badge on the teams jersey. I need advice on how you think I should do this. The rest of the jersey will be star piped (smooth BC and I dont get on) and the emblem will have to sit on the breast of the jersey. (I will be using the Wilton t-shirt/jersey pan) I am in no way artistic, so this may help you with what advice you give me icon_redface.gif

I was thinking I'll do the red emblem but put the boys name where the 'vodafone' is?

Looking for your wisdom, ideas and help on this one please! icon_wink.gif
LL
LL

12 replies
auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:09am
post #2 of 13

I'm fairly new at this but just thinking that you may want to consider doing the emblem in a frozen buttercream transfer. I did my first one yesterday (I haven't posted a picture of the cake yet but will do so today). The transfer was very easy to do (time consuming but easy) and there is a tutorial on here about how to do it (under the articles and how to section).

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:21am
post #3 of 13

I did a badge on a cake for my hubbys bowls club. It was Captains Day and they wanted a cake with the badge on! I took a picture of the badge, put it on my computer, printed it off, then traced it onto some rolled fondant, cut out the shape then carefully painted the colours and detail on then I lifted the badge onto the cake. They were thrilled and thought the badge was real!! My cake was fondant though, but as the badge would be smooth, you could still do a fondant badge on the buttercream t shirt.

You can see my cake in my photos.

post a pic when you have done. I'm sure you'll do ok.

cheers
Jan x

katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:23am
post #4 of 13

Yes a FBCT I had certainly considered but they have always scared me! (No I havent actually attempted one), great to know you found it easy.. do you think it will be a simple one to try? I guess only having two colours will be a bonus?

I also thought about an edible image, but I dont have a printer set up. But I am guessing there are places you can get them done?

Thanks for your input. This cake isnt due till the 27th October, but me being me I will probably attempt it a dozen times before the day. Ill never actually make any money in this cake decorating lark. I spend 10 times as much on the practice cakes that I could ever hope to recoup!

katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:27am
post #5 of 13

janbabe that is so cool! Did you use... just regular icing colours?

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:41am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

The rest of the jersey will be star piped (smooth BC and I dont get on) and the emblem will have to sit on the breast of the jersey.

Kath
Have you considered using fondant? It will save your wrists from piping all those stars ; )
Cheers
Nati

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 8:51am
post #7 of 13

I used edible dusting powders mixed with a little alcohol like vodka. I put the dusting powders in a little dish added a teeny drop of vodka just to get a watery paste mixture, then with a fine brush, painted on the colours and details. Add more powder or liquid if needed.

I had a pic of the badge next to me while i was doing it just to get the colours right. I did have a practice go a few weeks before the cake was due as it gives a chance to see if any problems occur but it was ok

Don't forget to let us know what you choose and post a pic!

cheers
Jan x

katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 9:17am
post #8 of 13

Thanks janbabe I'll give this ago.... will be sure to post a pic

boonenati, you might be right about the fondant too thumbs_up.gif

boonenati Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 9:21am
post #9 of 13
Quote:

boonenati, you might be right about the fondant too thumbs_up.gif

Kath
I just did a football cake for the grand final this past w/end.
To do the picture i suggest using a piece of black fondant, this is how i did the eagle on my cake. I printed the picture, then cut it out, i used this to cut out the fondant, then i cut out the next outline inside this, and used this to cut out the next colour. For yours you'll only need to do it with the black first, then cut out all the white parts and use that to cut bits of white fondant or gumpaste and stick them in the correct spots on the black fondant/gumpaste. It's relatively easy and quick to do.
here is the footy cake i did this w/end.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=boonenati&cat=0&pos=0
cheers
Nati

katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 9:39am
post #10 of 13

boonenati, your cakes are sooooo cool! I might just give that a try! How do you find fondant covered cakes go in Australia? Most people I know hate it and pick it off. I prefer working with fondant as I am hopeless with BC and I prefer the look of it better too (well I mean to my lumpy bumpy BC icon_redface.gif ).

I'd be really interested in your opinion/experience

PS: I am loving your website too!

boonenati Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:13am
post #11 of 13
Quote:

boonenati, your cakes are sooooo cool! I might just give that a try! How do you find fondant covered cakes go in Australia? Most people I know hate it and pick it off. I prefer working with fondant as I am hopeless with BC and I prefer the look of it better too (well I mean to my lumpy bumpy BC icon_redface.gif ).

I'd be really interested in your opinion/experience

PS: I am loving your website too!

Kath
I find that people are split. Fondant cakes are much more popular here than buttercream, but when i make cakes and i've seen people eat them, i find that some people rip off the fondant and some people scrape off the buttercream, and some people eat both ; )
I just made some cupcakes with a thin layer of fondant on top, i used FondX and they were soo good, fondX tastes yummy.
Nati

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:17am
post #12 of 13

if u have a printer, use a frosting sheet..thats pretty much how i do all of my pics...well good luck and post a pic when u finished

katharry Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:31pm
post #13 of 13

trent.... is a frosting sheet the same as 'ediable wafer paper'? And you can put this straight in your printer?

Knew you guys would come up with cool ideas thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%