Three Strikes---And I Am Out!!!!

Decorating By jlewis888 Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm by Cyndi1207

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #1 of 13

If it weren't for bad luck, well you know the saying. Today, I was working on a three tiered cake for a reception at my church that will take place directly after services tomorrow morning. It is for the "True-Love Waits" commitment ceremony. From the jump, things didn't exactly go well. When I baked, things cracked or were unlevel. My first batch of icing was runny--and I couldn't seem to fix it. (strange, I know--but I live in Alabama and the heat index has been 105!) Anyway, I took it to the church at about 4:00 to stack it--I was planning to put the flowers on it tomorrow morning before services. There wouldn't be time to do both without skipping worship. Once it was stacked, I noticed a buckle in the middle tier. It made the cake lean a little. It bothered me, but I didn't know what to do. At six, I went back to the church to drop off flowers and the "emergency kit"--and the top layer of the cake was in the floor--and the bottom two were smooshed on the entire front side. I sat in the floor and cried---then I called my DH--and he came with the mixer in tow--and we pieced together what we could from the bottom two layers. I used a diamond impression mat and some scrollwork to try to mask the warps and waves. odd thing is, it probably looks better now than before--but it is not a great cake to write home about--I will post a pic tomorrow when I get the flowers on it--but be kind. I am going to go now--I need some medication!

12 replies
okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 1:49am
post #2 of 13

Oh you poor dear. That stinks! I can't imagine how terrible it was to walk in and see that cake on the floor!

Glad you were able to save some of it and I am sure it looks great. : )

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #3 of 13

Pat yourself on the back because you made it through and fixed it. Lots of people wouldn't have even tried. good job.

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:27am
post #4 of 13

good for you for fixing that cake! It sounds like it all worked out in the end, which is what counts!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 13

I was told by my first Wilton teacher who was great that most of cake decorating is all about fixing up mistakes..and that is what a good decorator does...so here's to you thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #6 of 13

OH my goodness! That must have been horrible! But at least you made the save!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:41am
post #7 of 13

Give yourself a big hug for making it through surgery!! I'm a newbie and have had four cakes either fall, tumble or ruined during transportation. It is so painful when you see your work all messed up and you have to icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif because getting icon_mad.gif would take up too much time away from repairs.

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 13

The cake was served today--and thanks to a lot of flowers, it was presentable. The upside is--everyone said it was delicious. I still just want to cry! I am trying to get my pic to upload--but for some reason it isn't working. I will work on it some more later. Thanks for all of the kind words.

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 13

Did you use dowels in your layers? Congratulations to you for a successful emergency repair!

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 13

I am so sorry - sounds like you made a great save!!

I can relate! I'm in TN and our heat and heat index is about the same. I had a huge order yesterday for a reception. I made 400 Buckeye candies (not a small feat,especially in the heat), 124 cupcakes (1/2 peanut butter and 1/2 chocolate) and a 6" chocolate cake covered in fondant. I was worried about the Buckeyes, but they did fine. The 6" cake was horrible!! It was DGCC, which is usually pretty sturdy. It started leaning and just kept getting worse - by the time I got to the reception, it looked like a blob of cake instead of a 2 layer cake!! The customer was happy and it all tasted good. I offered to knock $50 off and make them an anniversary cake. It was a wedding reception - but the wedding was 4 mos ago - I guess the people out of town couldn't come until now. The bride was very gracious and paid me full price (1/2 the balance left) and said I could make them an anniversary cake. It's in May, so maybe the heat will be kind. I've never had that to happen before!

Sorry - didn't mean to steal your thread - no more cakes till it cools off for me!!!

novacaine24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novacaine24 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 13

It sounds like you got everything fixed, I can't wait to see the pics. You know we are our own worst enemy, we never like what we do. I'm sure everyone at the ceremony appreciated your efforts AND your cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 13

As the others have said, you can pat yourself on the back for a great saveicon_smile.gif
It does sound like you did not properly support the upper tiers by putting some kind of dowling in it.
Looking forward to seeing a pic of your final creationicon_smile.gif

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:49pm
post #13 of 13

I am terrified of that one moment. I don't think I would have gone into repair mode like you did. I would have thrown everything away and ran off fantically crying waving my hands in the air (if you can imagine that). In fact, if you ever see someone doing that...........it's probably me you're seeing and I just had a cake collapse.

Congrats on your quick thinking because not everyone is capable of doing that. I'm extremely impressed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%