Pumpkin Cake

Decorating By Missyleigh Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 3:47am by imakecakes

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a pumpkin cake for halloween. I was going to use the super enhanced cake recipie from this site and make two batches in bundt pans stacking them on top of each other.Do you think that I need a cake board between them... I was going to use mmf to frost I am afraid it will weigh a ton and collapse in on it's self HELP pleasee

6 replies
kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 7

I have made cakes like this before and didnt use a cake board, and I had no problem. But... if you are using MMF I would use one just to be on the safe side.

Christy icon_smile.gif

kraftychristy Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

Also, if you think it's going to be super heavy, you might try dowel rods. Drinking straws would probably work really well. Have you used them before?

born2bake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake4u Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 7

drinking straws might be too flimsy, when i add pumpkin to my cake it makes it really heavy. have you thought of making the pumpking cake usuing a bundt cake and decorating it to look like a pumpkin.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 7

yeah that is what I had planned I was going to use a choclate cake and then a orange cake to be choclate and orange for halloween.just a pumpkin shape no actual pumpkin.... how do you use the straws?

kraftychristy Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 7

Missyleigh,
Here is a link to the tutorial on CC for stacking cakes and doweling them. It has step by step instructions. Just substitute sturdy drinking straws for the wooden dowel rods. I have used straws in stacked cakes before with no problem. Someone on CC mentioned that McDonalds has very sturdy straws. Straws are also easier to cut than wooden dowels.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

I hope this helps!
Christy

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 3:47am
post #7 of 7

I have made the pumpkin cake using the 2 bundt pans a dozen times and have never used a board or straws or dowels- I also have never done it with fondant, but I don't see how that would matter. Then again, I have limited experience with fondant, too. I just put the bottom bundt upside down on the tray, put a layer of filling then put the other on top and frosted all around. No problems-ever.

Ps, I have used straws a lot on other stacked/3D cakes and they worked beautifully! A hint I'm sure I picked up here on CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%