How To Avoid The Bulge?

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 2 Oct 2006 , 12:07pm by Cake4ever

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 7

The torte bulge, that is!

I recently made a torted BC all choc. cake torted with vanilla caramel BC. I piped it out in a circle and then filled it in. It seemed to stack well. This was an 8 inch stacked by a 6 inch. I iced it and then placed my chocolate BC roses on top and then a few hours later I know it settled and bulged out a bit.

What did I do wrong? How do you avoid a bulge from torting. Did I use too much BC. I think I put about a half inch. I'm thinking I may have put the first ring around too close to the edge. Are you supposed to move it in an inch for settling purposes??

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. Thank you!

6 replies
RobLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobLee Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 7

I move my icing ring in a little, and then I push down on the top layer of the cake as much as possible when it is stacked. If the icing or filling oozes over the edge then, it is much easier to it up and then ice the cake instead of getting that icing bulge at the end!

Also make sure the icing you are using to make the ring isn't too thin of a consistency. I find it works better when the ring is of medium or thick consistency.

Hope that helps!

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 7

I was told that once you tort and fill, let the cake settle for about an hour before frosting.

I guess gravity needs to have a say icon_smile.gif

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 7

Ooo... that's good info. I noticed on my wedding cake I made it ended up having a very slight bulge... I should have waitied before fosting. Now I know! Thanks!

melissa

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah, move your ring in about 1/2 inch because the top layer will push the icing down. Also make sure it's not too hot when you're decorating. I did a cake once with raspberry filling adn it was so hot the icing was getting soft the *red* filling was starting to show through the *white* (of course!) icing. I had to refigerate between every step adn it took forever!

Cakelady232 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady232 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 7

You must pipe a rather thick ring of stiff consistency frosting around the perimeter before add'd filling. Stack the layer on top and give is a good push. I have never had to "let it settle" because the stiff consistency frosting contains whatever I have fill with and prevents it from sliding.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much for your responses. Sometimes I just need to say duh, why didn't I think of that?! LOL. Makes so much sense hearing what you're doing to avoid the bulge.

I knew I could depend on you gals. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%