Can I Make 100 Royal Iced Cookies And Freeze Ahead?

Decorating By Susan94 Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm by SugarMoonCakeCo

Susan94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan94 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:52am
post #1 of 9

I might be making part of the party favors for my 20th High School Reunion and wanted to know if I should lessen my overwhelmnes by making the cookies and decorating them and then freezing? Will they thaw well and be able to put in the clear plastic favor bags? Or could I bake and freeze the cookies plain without icing and then pull out to frost them over a few days? I just want to do as much as I can ahead of time since I still have a house, two kids and a husband to take care of!

Thanks in advance for your replies. The reunion is in October.

8 replies
bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 9

I have heard that you can freeze decorated cookies, but have never done so, myself. I can tell you, though that undecorated cookies freeze fabulously and don't take that long to thaw to work with. And, they still taste nice and fresh! I hope this helps and good luck with all of those cookies!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 9

I've frozen and thawed a decorated cookie and it worked. I did a zebra because I figured that if it was going to bleed that would be the worst.

I'm now making jungle animals for favors and freezing them, they're favors for a baby shower we're throwing. What I've been doing is putting them in their own sandwich bags and then into a freezer bag together. When I thaw them I'll take them out and put them in treat bags after they've come to room temp.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 9

I always freeze my iced cookies. I only make them for personal consumption or sharing with my family, but I like them fresh so whatever doesn't get eaten for the function that I'm baking for goes into the freezer. I lay them in large flat rubbermaid containers with a layer of aluminum foil between layers. The foil helps prevent breakage. The defrost great, though...I prefer them frozen icon_rolleyes.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 9

I freeze decorated cookies all the time. There is so little condensation, it's a non-issue. That is, of course, as long as you let them defrost in an air-conditioned room!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

I make about 30 diff kinds of Xmas cookies for family/friends each year and I freeze all of them ( I would never get it done otherwise icon_biggrin.gif ).
They freeze very well and taste as fresh as the day they went in; we've been known to eat em frozen too... thumbs_up.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 9

I've wondered the same thing myself as my daughter and I love making cookies. I'm glad to know they freeze well. Here in So Fla icon_cool.gif humidity is such a factor regarding condensation while bringing to room temp.

Sandy

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

I've wondered the same thing myself as my daughter and I love making cookies. I'm glad to know they freeze well. Here in So Fla icon_cool.gif humidity is such a factor regarding condensation while bringing to room temp.

Sandy

We've had record rain here in Texas this year, hence high humidity. Still, my cookies thawed beautifully. I hope you have the same luck!

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 9

i just did table cookie and favour cookies for my brother's wedding in july...

i baked and decorated them, then put them in the clear plastic gift bags BEFORE freezing them. that way if there is any condensation from thawing, it forms on the plastic rather than the cookie

they were pink and black and nothing ran into the other

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%