Cakes Not Getting Done????

Decorating By Teresa1976 Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm by katwomen1up

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #1 of 9

I am having problems when baking cakes (doctored mix-DH 1 extra egg and 1 box pudding mix). My cakes are never done in the time frame I think they should be. I found on this site somewhere, someone posted a list of pan sizes, cups of batter for that pan size and baking times for each pan using DH mix. I have had two 8" and one 6" pan in the oven for 55 min now and the centers are still jiggley (is that a word?) and a toothpick inserted comes out with batter on it. Can any one tell me what I'm doing wrong? Do I have to many pans in the oven? I have had the same thing happen before with only two 9" pans in the oven-so I don't think that is it. I bake cookies with no problems at all, I don't even have to rotate the pan, it is just cakes.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions

Teresa

8 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #2 of 9

Is your oven actually heating to the correct temperature? I had that happen with ours - the heating element wasn't working as well, and I noticed everything took longer than I thought. We checked it out by putting one of those hanging thermometers in the oven, and sure enough, that was it. It happens, so you might check that out.

I've also found that the colder I start with my ingredients, the longer it takes - but it's not a significant difference, just a few minutes.

I think jiggly is a word - at least it is now. icon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:20am
post #3 of 9

Have you checked your oven temp? What temp are you baking at? I make dr'ed mixes like this quite often and usually bake at 325 F for about 30-35 minutes for 8 x 2 inches.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #4 of 9

I just tried this "mix doctoring" for the first time this afternoon. I had the same problem!! I baked for nearly 20 extra minutes and still it felt a little underdone. I wondered if it was normal to have to cook that much longer. Maybe we can get someone with experience to give some good advice--I hope!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #5 of 9

If you put more than one pan in the oven the cooking time is much much longer. I dont have exact times... but I do know that when I stick a toothpick and it comes out with crumbs its ready. For me when I am cooking two cakes at once.. .I rotate them half way through... the one in back moves to the front so they bake evenly... most ovens have hot spots.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

I have made a few doctored DH mixes in the past and they all had taken quite a bit of time to bake despite the fact that my oven thermometer was at the correct temp. I just assumed that it was all the extra ingredients in the cake. They did take an hour or so but still came out tender and moist. Just make sure you are using bake-even or magi strips to keep the sides from drying out. I just checked my notes...yes I keep a notebook!! 2-2" x 8" pans take 55 min at 325F here in PA. HTH

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 3:34am
post #7 of 9

I did use cold eggs right from the fridge. The DH box says 350 so that's what I did-I am a freak at following directions, maybe a little OCD. I think you may be right about the temp thing. My 6" is finally done and I going now to check on the 8"ers.

Thank you all for the quick responses and help-I am crazy about this site!!!

nickir0108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickir0108 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:58am
post #8 of 9

I had this same problem when adding liquid coffee creamer. Still can't figure out why it happened. the only difference was the creamer. Would that cause it to take longer to cook?

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 9

I also us Dh doctored mixes, and they alway's take forever. One problem I figured out the other day is I was filling them too full 2/3's. Now I go between 1/2 & 2/3 and for 2 8' it took about an hr.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%