New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By melissa1 Updated 22 Jan 2005 , 10:22pm by MariaLove

melissa1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa1 Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to decorating and have never taken any classes. I need a recipe for a really good decorating frosting that is easy to work with. I make simple cakes for my children's birthdays and taught myself how to use some of the piping tips. My frosting is always too sweet for my taste. Also, what is a good class to take to get the basics of decorating.

4 replies
heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1

My frosting is always too sweet for my taste. Also, what is a good class to take to get the basics of decorating.

All my frostings are sweet, but here's the recipe I use. I got it from my husband's grandmother.

2/3 cup water
4 TBSP Meringue powder
1 1/4 cup Shortening
11 1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp almond flavoring
1/2 tsp clear vanilla

Beat the water and powder together first. Add 4 cups of sugar and mix, then alternate the sugar and shortening until smooth. I hope that helps.

Happy Decorating,
Michelle

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 21 Jan 2005 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 5

welcome to the world of cake decorating.........you wil love it..........
I wanted to let you know that if you add a little salt to your icing recipe you will cut down on the sweetness......... icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa1

Also, what is a good class to take to get the basics of decorating.

Wilton is a great place to start for the basics! Happy baking, Missey

MariaLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLove Posted 22 Jan 2005 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 5

If you haven't taken the Wilton courses yet, here's a money saving tip. If you have a JoAnn's Fabrics nearby get on their mailing list (you can also do it on line) and watch for the 50% off coupons in the mailers they'll send you. You can use the discount to purchase the required kits for each class and they even run specials for either a free gift from Wilton or a discount on the registration fee on varying months. Have fun!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%