Transporting A Tiered Cake. Help!

Decorating By krissy_kze Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 8:27pm by aslate

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a 3 tiered hula cake for my niece's 5th birthday this weekend and I need to figure out how to transport this thing over an hour and a half on bumpy back country roads. I can do cake boxes but how do I keep them from sliding around in the boxes themselves? What do you all do?

Thanks for any ideas!

-Krissy

9 replies
mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 10

Well...You could use electrical tape to secure your cakeboard & Cake to the box. Loop the tape upon itself, adhere it to the middle of your cake box, and then sit the cake on top of that. I hope I explained it well.

Mochaboi

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 10

when I transport cakes I either use towels to set the cake on or that rubbery stuff that you use as a jar gripper. I'm not sure what it is called, but you can buy it by the roll. Sorry I can't explain it better! icon_redface.gif

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

Melodyangel

It has several names..LOL I just bought some this past weekend at Home Depot, and it was called Sur-Grip.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

That stuff works great. I use it all the time!

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 1:32am
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much! I didn't even think about using that. You've all been a huge help!

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks mochaboi, my mind went totally blank on that one! thumbs_up.gif

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 10

I'm not sure if this is more cost effective... but there is similar stuff like the Sur-Grip for protecting your car's seats from infant/toddler carseats. We bought ours at The Right Start for about $12 but it's atleast 4 feet long by 2 feet wide....

just found it...

http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product_detail~Site~baby~rs_section~Car%20Seats~category~Car%20Seat%20Toys%20%26%20Accessories~GroupID~2365888~GroupTP~Model.htm

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 10

I always use the rubber stuff you see sometimes in cabinets.....it's great!!!!!!! I've never had a problem............plus........I get the same color as the interior of my car........looks like it belongs in there!!!!!! Ha!

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 10

I usually transport my tiered cakes on top of the grippy shelf liner stuff in a box. I use foam sheets to line the back of my SUV and put the boxes on top of the foam. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%