Dilema!! Bake From Home Business-Nj??

Business By glor08 Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm by beccakelly

glor08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glor08 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any info on home businesses in NJ or any other state that really don't allow you to work other than at a store front. Do people still do it? How much trouble can you get in if you do? Can you be arrested? Sued? I sometimes make cakes for people and they do pay me, but i've recently found out that it is not regulated in NJ. Do I need to stop? I personally cant afford to have a storefront, but don't want to stop making cakes either. What about advertising? should I take down my website and stop putting brouchures around town? Any info/help or experiences anyone could share would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS ALL!!! usaribbon.gif

2 replies
cakesuzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesuzette Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 3

NJ is not a state that allows home bakeries. Many of us still do it, though.
As for being sued, I think that would depend on if a customer got really ill, or if they were dis-satisfird and are the "suing type."

JUst let your customer know you are a home baker.

Good luck!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 3

well, not knowing how strict NJ is i would still be very careful. advertising in any way is greatly increasing your risk of getting caught, and the consequences prolly involve fines and a stop and desist notice. 1 angry legal baker, 1 angry customer, or just chance could be enough to turn you in. as stated, many people still do it, but that doesn't make it any less illegal or risky. is there any way you could just rent kitchen space from a bread baker, a church, a caterer, or someone? i think most legal business do it this way, its how im doing it. it really lowers the cost and investment for you, and alllows you the freedom to advertise freely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%