What Type Of Cake For A Swiss (Jelly) Roll Cake?!

Decorating By girlfrosting Updated 30 Sep 2006 , 1:50pm by edencakes

girlfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlfrosting Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make a cake tonight (yes, I know.. people love to spring these things on me last minute) and I need to use a swiss (jelly) roll for the form. I've read HOW to roll the cake, but I don't know what type of recipe to use. Will my normal chocolate cake recipe work?

TIA!!!

5 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 6

I will have to look for my book.. But one of the wilton books have that recipe.. It's a sponge like cake.. And you have to bake it on a sheet pan.. BRB let me look for the book...

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

Here it is:
1/3 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoon of clear vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 greas or spray jelly roll pan with vegetable pan spray. Sprinkle well with cake flour. Stift together flour and sugar, set aside. in large bowl beat egg yolks with mixer until light and fluffy about 3 mins. in separate bowl combine egg whites and salt. Beat with electric mixer until whites begin to foam: add cream of tartar and continue to beat until whites are stiff but moist. fold 1/3 white mixture into yolk mixture just until blended; spoon yolks over remaining whites. Spoon flour mixture over egg yolks, gently fold together just until there are no streaks of egg white or flour. Spread into prepared pan. bake 10 to12 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. makes 5 cups of batter..
Good Luck!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 6

Here's a chocolate jelly roll recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Line one 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and grease and flour lightly.

Separate the eggs. Beat the whites with the cream of tartar until stiff. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the sugar.

Sift the remaining sugar, cocoa, and flour together. Beat the egg yolks until thick and fold the flour mixture into them. Stir in vanilla. (The egg yolk mixture will be very stiff).

Carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. Evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Let cake cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a towel sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, peel off parchment paper and roll cake up with the towel. Let cake cool completely. Unroll cake and spread with filling.

girlfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlfrosting Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you both so much!! I'm off to bake (I have some extra time!) so I'll let you know how it turns out icon_biggrin.gif

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 6

Awesome - can't wait to see and hear how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%