Help!!!! 1St Time Edible Image Transfer

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 14 May 2008 , 2:12pm by SugarMama602

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 6

Okay I know the image needs to be put on immediately after the frosting has been put on.

Will it be okay for me to put a final coat on the cake, let it crust over (so I can smooth it) and then lightly spritz the frosting w/ water and wait a minute or so before putting the image on, or would it be ruined (in process of frosting the cake right now)

Thanks in advance for the help

5 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 6

You can ice it, let it crust, then smooth it. Then you can put on your image by lightly spritzing water where you want it or Lisa has suggested putting a damp paper towel on the spot where you want it to go for a few seconds or so and them put the image down. Should have no problems.

SherriSenger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherriSenger Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

After the icing has crusted, I take out my image from the freezer and place it directly on the cake. No water needed. I have never had a problem with one moving or shifting by doing it this way.

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 6

Is this also the case for fondant covered cakes? I have one to do for my son's birthday next week, but I plan to cover the cake with fondant first. Do I need to spritz with water before applying the image??

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilers

Is this also the case for fondant covered cakes? I have one to do for my son's birthday next week, but I plan to cover the cake with fondant first. Do I need to spritz with water before applying the image??

Yup, or as Lisa does, lay the damp cloth down to moisten the area just a tad and then add the image. Some people use piping gel, but that gets messy--at least for me. icon_redface.gif

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 6

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I had a question on this since it's my first time using an edible image transfer, too....

If you lay it on colored BC, won't the color show through? I'm doing a hot pink Hannah Montana guitar cake and I don't want the image to get lost in the hot pink background.

Should I do a small layer of white bc to lay the transfer on? Or can I cover the back of it with BC and then lay it directly on the cake like that?

I'd appreciate any knowledge on the subject!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%