Total Disaster After Years Of Practice

Decorating By sparklineagle Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm by sparklineagle

sparklineagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklineagle Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:18am
post #1 of 7

Just wanted to add yet another cake disaster story to the mix here...I have been decorating cakes since 1985 and really and truly thought my cake disasters and flops were all but done...Well back in May I was asked to make a Dora cake for my DHs neice...It was supposed to be a double layer 8", 6" and then 3 cupcakes on top all doweled together then all iced to resemble a mountain etc. Well this cake shifted,slid and everything that could possibly go wrong did big time. I really didnt think it would make it to there house...But it did! I was very disappointed in it...But it humbled me after not having a cake disaster for many years. The main lesson I learned is not to follow someone elses instructions if I know in my gutt they are not right...the instructions (in my opinion) did not tell u to use enough support...The next time i will dowel all the way through the board like I was taught in cake decorating classes. Just another lesson learned I guess and at least in this art u can eat ur mistakes and by the way the cake was very good...this was one cake I could not wait to be cut...It was ugly....LOL

6 replies
valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:51am
post #2 of 7

So sorry you had a bad experience! It happens to all of us (I know, I seem to have more than my fair share, lol).
Better luck next time, hopefully it was just one of those days : )

sparklineagle Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #3 of 7

Yeah...Just another one to chalk up experience on....live and learn i guess....lol

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:50am
post #4 of 7

This is a new category of cake disasters: Cakes that frighten small children!
You could have found a Diego figure and had him surfing down the mudslide!

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 11:59am
post #5 of 7

so I guess what your trying to tell us is it never really gets better....us newbies will always be making mistakes LOL

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 7

Welcome to CC sparklineagle!!!

And you make an excellent point-always follow your gut and what experience has taught you!

My disasters have been when I ignored the above and I ended up icon_cry.gif over ruined cake!

icon_smile.gifd

sparklineagle Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 7

LOL @ the mudslide comment...it did kind of resemble just that since the cake was chocolate...I am just thankful this cake was for family and this disaster didnt happen at work where time is money..like i originally posted...this cake definitely humbled me even if it scared the kids.....lmao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%