Where To Buy High Ratio Shortening In Nebraska Or Chicago

Decorating By kmallen Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm by leily

kmallen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmallen Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #1 of 6

I live in Omaha and can't seem to find anywhere locally to buy high ratio shortening. We are going to Chicago this weekend and I was trying to find a place there that I could by it. The only place that I found is going to be closed that weekend. Any ideas?

Thanks

5 replies
shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #2 of 6

I am in Omaha and haven't found it either. Sorry no help. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:08am
post #3 of 6

Here's a list of all the GFS stores in IL. They'll order Sweetex hi-ratio shortening for you, if you speak with the manager. I'd advise calling in advance as it took about 7 days for mine to come in.

http://gfs.know-where.com/gfs/cgi/region?country=US®ion=IL&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

Ordering online might be another option. Here's the info on ordering Sweetex, Alpine and CK brand (with the most reasonable shipping):

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-400943-.html

HTH

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 6

I spoke to the owner of Omaha Bakery Supply this morning. He said they have the shortening ... 50# for $35. They are located at 4224 S 133rd
731- 5572 the hours are 8-4:30 The ad says they deliver as well. I will have to check this out, I live right around there but have never noticed this store.

kmallen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmallen Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't need 50# worth. Did they have any smaller amounts? Maybe we could somehow split it up if you don't need all 50# either. I have never tried it with frosting and I was curious how well it works. Let me know if you find anything else out. Thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 6

well I don't know about omaha or chicago, but about 15 miles south of I-80 on the east side of Iowa (since your on your way to Chicago) There is a store in my town that carries smaller 5# tubs last I checked.

I dont' know if there is any other place around here but maybe someone else in the are will know.

I don't know if this would be to far out of the way for your but it takes about 20-25 mins straight south of I-80 to get here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%