Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake Mix/ Mocha

Baking By dolphindreamers Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 12:46am by RaquelB

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 11

I have to doctor up a duncan hines chocolate cake mix so that it has a mocha flavor. I figured I would replace the water with coffee. But how strong would you make it? Have any of you done this before?

10 replies
kiki36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki36 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 11

what size of cake are you making depends on the amount to use.

dolphindreamers Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 11

I'm making a two layer 12" round. It's the middle of a stacked wedding cake. Would you think using regular coffee would be enough? Or would you make it extra strong?

kiki36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki36 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 11

regular is find instant.

i found this for you:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2392-chocolate-mocha-cake.html

I hope this help

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 11

If you are using the cake mix extender recipe here on CC for box mixes, I have used coffee flavored yogurt (instead of the sour cream) and it had a nice mocha flavor.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 11

In my personal experience, when I mixed instant coffee (only for baking) with a small amount of diluted hot water the taste was more intense then when I just sprinkled the instant coffee in my dry ingredients. I think diluting it in hot water brings out the coffee taste. For my personal taste, I like diluting the coffee.

darkchocolate

dolphindreamers Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 11

Thanks for your responses!!! I will see what I can come up with and post what I did incase someone else needs the same info.

dolphindreamers Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 11

Ok, found out that no matter how strong I make the coffee, you can't taste it after it's baked! (at least in the chocolate cake mix)I even went over board and nearly used a cup of instant coffee granuals in one mix. Still didn't taste coffee! At that point it started to bake up weird. So, I put 5 Tbs. of instant coffee in a yellow cake mix and it was perfect! All of this experimenting sure does make a house smell good! The coffee flavor comes through well with the yellow and I'm sure the white would do well too. I always liked the yellow for bigger layers. Seems to be moister than the white.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 11

A lot of bakers substitute brewed coffee for water in their chocolate cakes because it really brings out the chocolate flavor without adding coffee flavor - as you now know! I substitute 1/4 to 1/3 of the liquid with dissolved instant espresso or Kahlua. Yummy!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindreamers

I have to doctor up a duncan hines chocolate cake mix so that it has a mocha flavor. I figured I would replace the water with coffee. But how strong would you make it? Have any of you done this before?

This is a favorite cake of mine.. use DH Swiss chocolate cake mix and add a box of chocolate instant pudding (4-serving size), 2 Tbls powdered instant coffee (my preference is tasters choice, hazelnut; roll the granuales till powder, then measure), 4 eggs, 1 1/3 cups water, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Mix on medium for 2 mins and bake at 325°. For filling, I also use a chocolate buttercream with more of the same powder (1 Tbls.) to really give it flavor. This will definately wake you up... yum yum...

RaquelB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelB Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 12:46am
post #11 of 11

Your cake recipe looks amazing! I'm wanting to try it out this weekend with a hazelnut buttercream. How long should it be baked for at 325? And do you think it will be strong enough to support fondant? 

Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%