Buttercream Made With Egg Whites

Baking By MariaLovesCakes Updated 7 Jul 2005 , 7:56pm by SquirrellyCakes

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 6

I have this recipe and wonder if anyone has ever done it. It is a recipe from Puerto Rico. I posted a message on the Spanish board but didn't get any replies so I am going to try it here..

FYI: I buy the pre-packaged egg whites at the supermarket. So I don't use egg whites from fresh eggs due to salmonela issues.

Buttercream (With Egg Whites)

1 lb of Crisco (2 cups)
1 cup of egg whites
1 tsp. of vanilla
2 lbs of confectioners sugar (10x)

This recipe has the egg whites added to the shortening directly, without being whipped to meringue consistency before. Then you add the sugar and continue mixing until it is soft.

I am just concerned of adding egg whites, even the ones prepackaged, in this way. I am used to incorporating egg whites in meringue than directly like this... icon_cool.gif

I mean, the recipe reads like this on this book I have and the book is from 1999, so it is not extremely old..

What do you all think? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 6

I think that it's okay. I saw on one of the cooking shows that the pre-packaged ones don't have the samonella issue. You can also use merigue powder

MariaLovesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchelle

I think that it's okay. I saw on one of the cooking shows that the pre-packaged ones don't have the samonella issue. You can also use merigue powder

Oh, cool, that's good to know. I was wondering on some icings I have tried done by some Puerto Rican bakers because the consistency is different and it tastes really good...

I will try it.

Thanks.

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 6

The Wilton Class tells you to put Merinque Powder in your BC. Also was told to put it in my cake mix to make the cakes rise higher. I do it but I am not sure if it really helps that much.

bj icon_wink.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfranco

The Wilton Class tells you to put Merinque Powder in your BC. Also was told to put it in my cake mix to make the cakes rise higher. I do it but I am not sure if it really helps that much.

bj icon_wink.gif

Yes, I was told that the Meringue Powder does that the egg whites are supposed to do... But I am looking for a change in the consistency of the icing...

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 6

This information is taken from the Egg Beater's site.
Do you have to be careful handling and cooking Egg Beaters?
Unlike traditional whole eggs, all egg alternative products are pasteurized, eliminating the threat of serious illness or death by salmonella poisoning.
Just wanted to add, they still suggest that once defrosted Egg Beaters have a 7 day shelf life in the refridgerator.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%