I Was Wondering

Decorating By shrek Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm by Hollyanna70

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:10am
post #1 of 16

will the tub of icing that wilton sells work with the upside down method. i also wanted to know if anyone knows how it tastes.

15 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:27am
post #2 of 16

I've tasted the Wilton premade icing and I have to say I really don't care for the taste. I've spoiled myself with my homemade... icon_razz.gif

Sandy

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #3 of 16

It will work okay for the upside down method, but as for the flavor tapedshut.gif , homemade is best!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #4 of 16

What is upside down method please?

Lu

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:39am
post #5 of 16

I don't know if it'll work for that as I've never even done the upside down method yet lol... but am having hubby taste it right now as I have some in the fridge for practicing roses lol

And hubby says.... it tastes like store bought icing.... which in this house is a sin! so we don't eat it we just practice with it lmao

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #6 of 16

It's gross.. it tastes fake and leaves a film in your mouth. It's great for practice though.. icon_wink.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:16am
post #7 of 16

It's too sweet if you ask me. And it has no flavoring, unless metal can be considered a flavor.

Home made is best.

C.C.C.

lu9129 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 16

Again, what is the upside down method???

Lu

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 16

Here is the article on the upside down method icon_smile.gif Hope this helps and is useful for you icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

lu9129 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:07am
post #10 of 16

Thank you ohmygoodies!!!!

Lu

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:37am
post #11 of 16

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've said or written this.
In almost every situation Wilton = crap.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 9:04am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've said or written this.
In almost every situation Wilton = crap.

Oh, come on. Not everything! Just everything edible. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:07pm
post #13 of 16

No, their pans are crap too.

True story. I once had a pooh bear character pan, the 3-d type, collapse in my oven. Of course it was full of chocolate batter. The metal "stand" part that was supposed to hold it up physically gave way.

I cleaned up the mess and put more batter into the pan, propped it up good on both sides with other pans and put the whole contraption back into the oven.

Really, I've found three things made by Wilton that I like. The divider mat, although the edges do curl in storage, the ribbon cutter which works most of the time and the sparkling sugar.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 16

Oh Leahs---You only wish for a nickel. I agree with you about wilton but I'm somewhat new to the buis. and Just started looking for anything different, products, what would you consider the best?

CCC

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:37pm
post #15 of 16

I used the wilton chocolate icing one time because I was in a time crunch and everyone loved it! It's not bad.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

No, their pans are crap too.

True story. I once had a pooh bear character pan, the 3-d type, collapse in my oven. Of course it was full of chocolate batter. The metal "stand" part that was supposed to hold it up physically gave way.

I cleaned up the mess and put more batter into the pan, propped it up good on both sides with other pans and put the whole contraption back into the oven.

Really, I've found three things made by Wilton that I like. The divider mat, although the edges do curl in storage, the ribbon cutter which works most of the time and the sparkling sugar.

I'm sorry for your bad experience. I haven't done a cake using their 3-d pans, so I didn't know that was an issue. I've always been disappointed by their edible products, and their disposable bags. They always seem to burst, especially if I'm using a stiff icing for roses or something. Other than that, most things I have from them are ok, but recently I've found so much more by other companies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%