Is It Bad Etiquite? I'm Confused!

Decorating By melysa Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm by melysa

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:34pm
post #181 of 273

Good luck on your cakes! I can't wait to see the results.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:42pm
post #182 of 273

OK I just read this entire thread (all 12 pages....) Cakes of our lives RULES!!! LOL (this is better than Bo and Hope's wedding....)
Keep us posted on the progress - cakes baking yet? How about those strawberries? You go girl!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

PS:randipanda - how are things in Happy Valley? It is nice to see someone else from Utah hangin around icon_smile.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:51pm
post #183 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySue

OK I just read this entire thread (all 12 pages....) Cakes of our lives RULES!!! LOL (this is better than Bo and Hope's wedding....)
Keep us posted on the progress - cakes baking yet? How about those strawberries? You go girl!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

PS:randipanda - how are things in Happy Valley? It is nice to see someone else from Utah hangin around icon_smile.gif

"cakes of our lives"-- Too funny!!
I hope everyone has a great day!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #184 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshia

Well, she picks out this design from wilton (the bear that looks like he's in the crib) and then proceeds to tell me that NO ONE else can have this cake?! Keyshia

Uh....did she NOT notice that the cake she picked out was in a nationally (internationally?) published magz that is seen by millions of people? Does she really think that SHE is the only one who has seen and will want this cake?

Some people have a high level of self-importance, dont' they?

penguinprincess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:05pm
post #185 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshia

Well, she picks out this design from wilton (the bear that looks like he's in the crib) and then proceeds to tell me that NO ONE else can have this cake?! Keyshia

Uh....did she NOT notice that the cake she picked out was in a nationally (internationally?) published magz that is seen by millions of people? Does she really think that SHE is the only one who has seen and will want this cake?

Some people have a high level of self-importance, dont' they?

I may need to run out and make that cake just because!! hehe!

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:06pm
post #186 of 273

whew! I was supposed to be folding laundry, but this was so much better! Every time I had to click onto the next page, I was hearing in my head the "bum bum" sound from Law & Order shows!

There was a post somewhere earlier in this thread suggesting not backing out on the shower since it was such short notice. I was agreeing with that opinion. Not because of the bride, but I was thinking, but now what are the poor hostesses of the shower supposed to do? I was going to suggest that Melyssa still make the shower cake, but in the "bride-designated exclusive" flavor of the wedding cake, kinda like a "See what you will be missing out on?' type thing. icon_twisted.gif

But then the bride said she was paying for the shower cake? And if the hostesses were OK with no cake, maybe they were hoping that the bride would freak out about the shower not being special and call it off too? What a crazy ordeal.

thumbs_up.gif Good job for standing up for yourself and giving her a very important life lesson. Now I HAVE to get the laundry folded and I hope you baking and not reading CC right now.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:17pm
post #187 of 273

OMG! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif LMAO!!! You guys are all great!

"Cakes of our Lives"...and on the next page...LOL!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I can't believe you actually stuck it out! I love that twist! I thought you were sooo done with her! But it looks like she took her foot out of her mouth for just a moment to make it up to you!

You still have CBS in my book! And you deserve a luster dust tiara for sure! I just hope that when I am having bridezilla issues that I can come to you for advice! LOL icon_rolleyes.gif

Didn't you already say you had the check back to her in the mail??

Why is she paying for her own shower!!??

I can't wait to see how many pages this thread gets too! tee hee

StephyG

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:23pm
post #188 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I can't wait to see how many pages this thread gets too!

That's why I'm SO glad I stumbled onto this one at the very beginning! I'd hate to miss it and I'd hate to try to play catch-up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:29pm
post #189 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I can't wait to see how many pages this thread gets too!

That's why I'm SO glad I stumbled onto this one at the very beginning! I'd hate to miss it and I'd hate to try to play catch-up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I know what you mean! I started back at page four and I didn't have much to catch up on. But, now we're on 13 and I wouldn't blame anyone for reading through the whole thing! This has been such great entertainment!

Miked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miked Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:29pm
post #190 of 273

OMG! You are such an awesome woman! thumbs_up.gif I fear I would've stuck to my spoons (er guns) and sweetly suggested that perhaps the local Publix or the grocery store down the street could help her with that super special "original" design with the time frame & all? icon_evil.gif To be a fly on that bakery wall if she actually had to go there and order whatever she could get from the sticky stock book would've been the icing on the cake icon_twisted.gif (and would've no doubt landed me on an episode of Dr. Phil).But alas, I would've felt like crap later after I came down from the sugar high. You done good...good luck and may there be a special blessing in that cake for both of ya'll!

step0nmi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #191 of 273

Welcome Miked!

I use to live in Fort Benning, GA! Which side of town are you from?

beckyatkinson1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyatkinson1964 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:45pm
post #192 of 273

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I'm not worthy icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I sat here and read the entire string, and I must say, I discovered I had a few things to learn about myself. I am new to CC and have noticed that everyone has such a good sense of humor, will boost you up when you need it and, yes, kick you in the behind when you need it and all meant with the best intentions. My mother always said that if I took the time I would discover that I really did learn something new every day. Thanks for my lesson of the day. I would also like to add that when someone offers an opinion that my not agree with ours, I have noticed that it is valued and respected here, thanks for allowing me to be apart of such an amazing group of people.

step0nmi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #193 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyatkinson1964

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I'm not worthy icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I sat here and read the entire string, and I must say, I discovered I had a few things to learn about myself. I am new to CC and have noticed that everyone has such a good sense of humor, will boost you up when you need it and, yes, kick you in the behind when you need it and all meant with the best intentions. My mother always said that if I took the time I would discover that I really did learn something new every day. Thanks for my lesson of the day. I would also like to add that when someone offers an opinion that my not agree with ours, I have noticed that it is valued and respected here, thanks for allowing me to be apart of such an amazing group of people.

Welcome to CC! Glad you like it here on first glance. We are a really special group here and I think you put it in the best words!
Thanks for sayin' so!

Melysa...I hope your still workin' on that cake! LOL

penguinprincess Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:55pm
post #194 of 273

I think I joined here a week ago-- everyone is terrific!! and so very helpful! It has been a huge addiction of mine since i found the site!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:58pm
post #195 of 273

Melysa.... you must be baking.

I am really glad that everything has turned out for you.

You did an awesome job of replying to your client and letting her know what she did. You were so eloquent. Like everyone else, I would like you give you a luster dust sprinkling! You are definetely an angel and I sure hope this little girl has finally learned her lesson and has decided to join adulthood for good.

When I read your message to her about your sacrifice and how you neglect your family and more to bake cakes. I just want to say, that I am sure your family understands that you need this time and that when you are not baking they have all your attention (anyway all of your time except ...when you are on CC).

I feel the same way when I bake, and I am sure many of our fellow cc'ers do to. It comes with this drive we have to make the best cakes we can.

I sure hope you have a great time making her cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

You do awesome work and I trust that your family is as proud of you as we are.

I too should get off of here and clean house and bake a couple of cakes for Sunday.... icon_rolleyes.gif
In laws are coming in to town! icon_wink.gif

Cake On --- Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:59pm
post #196 of 273

Melysa - I am so proud of you - I think you have done the right thing and I think everyone will be haooy in the end.

And as for everyone else - thakns for not stoning me when I gave differing opinions. I know it can be tough to do that but I felt it had to be said.

Now, I can't wait to see these cakes!

Miked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miked Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:03pm
post #197 of 273

Thank you! I'm here in Columbus, GA Home of the Infantry and the world's BEST Rangers HOO-AH! Military layover for people from around the world. usaribbon.gif I know Southerners are supposed to be SO sweet, but I always get run over being too nice to folks. Its good to see all the folks on here bolster her courage to do what turned out to be the best thing. I owned a Coffee & Ice Cream Shop for 5+ years and ran across a very few (thankfully) of these aggressive/emotional/then passive when confronted folks--but when you own your own business and the customer is supposed to be always right you feel cornered and have to decide how/when to make a decision & take a stand. Consequences for being right can be brutal in a "wannabe" circle in any town if it offends certain folks. She handled this with class but with a firm hand--sure to be applauded by the bride's circle if the true story ever dared to get out. thumbs_up.gif Can't wait to see her pics of the much anticipated, never to be duplicated cake! icon_wink.gif

BeckySue Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:04pm
post #198 of 273

beckyatkinson1964 and penguinprincess: WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION!!! thumbs_up.gif

BeckySue Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:11pm
post #199 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

And as for everyone else - thakns for not stoning me when I gave differing opinions. I know it can be tough to do that but I felt it had to be said.

Thanks for keeping compassion in the conversation - I think sometimes here on CC we get that "mob" mentality and things can get out of hand...I appreciate what you said. Difference of opinion is part of what makes us unique and I am glad you had the courage to share yours - and I am PROUD that we were all so open to it!! Ok - off the soapbox....lets see some cake!!! icon_smile.gif

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #200 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyatkinson1964

Glad to see you finally joined the crowd!!

I hope everything works out on these cakes and I'm sure they will be wonderful and georgous!!

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:36pm
post #201 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

Cakes of Our Lives!!

This Bridezilla was almost The Young and the Cakeless

I'm so glad I found this site, I've been here almost 3 weeks and already I'm addicted! Great thread...everyone has been so helpful to each other.. love that!

Good on you Melyssa. I think you showed alot of class.

Riki

frostingfairy Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:37pm
post #202 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

Cakes of Our Lives!!

I'm so glad I found this site, I've been here almost 3 weeks and already I'm addicted! Great thread...everyone has been so helpful to each other.. love that!

Riki

frostingfairy Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:38pm
post #203 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

Cakes of Our Lives!!

Riki

BeckySue Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:43pm
post #204 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

LOL Too funny!! icon_biggrin.gif

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:50pm
post #205 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe42

First,
Doug is hilarious and I'm pretty sure can make anybody feel better in any situation thumbs_up.gif

Second,
The bride is off her meds. In our own little cake decorating fantasy-world, we could just laugh in her face and direct her to the nearest psych clinic and get away with it. Drat! We have to be nice icon_biggrin.gif

Third,
WHO CANCELS THEIR WEDDING BECAUSE THE CAKE FLAVOR HAS BEEN TASTED BY ANOTHER HUMAN BEING BEFORE THE WEDDING??? I will quote somebody here from Cake Central (*can't remember whom but) SHE'S A WACK-A-DOODLE!!!

and finally....tell the bride that her wedding will be different from any other person on this planet past and present if she gets married in her hometown....OUTERSPACE!

See ya Bridezilla !!! The poor, poor groom

I prefer the wack-a-doodle point to the "she's off her meds" comment. I think the woman's behaviour is more selfish than indicative of mental illness!

I'm glad you stood up for yourself!

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:20pm
post #206 of 273

I'm glad it worked out and that you both feel better about it now. I love reading about stuff like this. It always keeps me interested. Only suggestion I have for the future is that you should not use the person's real name (if Ashleigh is her real name). It's such a small world - you just never know if someone might know her or if she might stumble across the site. I'm glad you were able to speak your mind and still work things out with her.

rigama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rigama Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:47pm
post #207 of 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Cakes of Our Lives!!

"As frosting squeezed from a piping bag...So are the Cakes of Our Lives!

Man, Mylesa, you are my HERO. You so rock! You handled an insane situation with extreme care and tact, and you were able to come to a peaceful resolution with an open heart.

This is one of those lessons that Ashleigh will remember for the rest of her life.

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #208 of 273

What a ride this thread has been!! Melyssa - I too am proud of how you handled the whole situation. I believe in compassion but in this case she needed a kick in the pants to straighten her out. I hope I'm wront but it may take a few more "attitude adjustment sessions" to get through the wedding with her.

I can't wait to see the cakes!! Your sketch was fab!!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:54pm
post #209 of 273

I didn't think you were bluffing, but I'm glad you were!

Since you were able to be so influential (Strong, like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding, like a nerf ball) You just might wanna suggest that the bride hire someone to cut the cake and pick the trash up off the lawn at the end of the night so there's no more misunderstandings, accusations, and/or wallowing in self pity on her special day.

That would be the bad kind of special.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:10pm
post #210 of 273
Quote:
Quote:

As frosting squeezed from a piping bag...So are the Cakes of Our Lives!

man .... that had me laughing out loud! Melysa I think you are truly amazing to stand up for yourself but still be compassionate to a girl who sounds like she is having serious trouble (in her head, family or wahtever icon_lol.gif )

I think to many of us are pushovers (me included) and should definitely use Melysa as an example!

Thanks CCers for keeping me laughing and making me think

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%