How Long To Let Icing Set Up

Baking By birdgirl Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 5:50pm by fthrem

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

How long does it take on average for poured icing to set up well enough to stack the cookies or bag them? I tried it this weekend and I thought it was dry enough only to find that the cookies ended up sticking together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 replies
cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

For me, with Antonia's icing, a couple hours. To speed it up even more, I use a fan.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 6

Not long at all. i used antonias(gosh I love that stuff!) for drop flowers and they dried within an hour. When I did over 100 cookies, the first ones were done by the time I was finished doing the last ones and I was only doing accents with the icing. And I live in hot humid Houston! I also did some only iced with antonia's and they were dried within an hour or so. I still let them sit out to really get dried through and through.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks I let them sit for an hour so maybe the humidity messed with them--stupid rain every weekend when I try to do all of my work!

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 6

Wow I learn something new every time I read on here. I thought they had to dry 18-24 hours. Hmmm I have some due on Saturday and I was going to stay up really late tonight and tomorrow night to finish, now I won't be in such a hurry.

fthrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fthrem Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 6

I used Toba Garrets Glace and it usually only takes an hour, maybe 2 if its really humid. I live in Florida so it tends to be humid, but I have never found it to take more than 2 hours tops. I fing that antonia's dries faster, but I prefer the texture of Tobas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%