Wire Spray Decorations

Decorating By UGoCakes Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm by UGoCakes

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:24am
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone, can someone help me with these? I would like to try a cake with the wires sticking out with a decoration on it. I did a search and can not find any info or help on this.

What type of wire do you use and how do you secure it in the cake so it does not fall over and ruin the top of the cake.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.
icon_smile.gif
TIA

4 replies
sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:27am
post #2 of 5

I just finished making mine for the first time a few minutes ago.

I took floral wire from walmart. I found a suggestion on this site that said to wrap it around a can to get the perfect rounded look, it really worked.

Not too sure how to make it stay, but I think i may put a hook in the end of it to make it a little more steady. Don't take my word for it, though!

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

I formed each wire, put gumpaste in a flower spike, added the wires to the gumpaste (quickly) and then shaped accordingly. To keep the decorations on the wire, use the gum arabic as glue.

I actually ordered my wire for the anniversary cake from overseas because I wanted gold wire.

HTH

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

what is gum arabic?

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

pumpkinroses, your Valentine cake is like what I am talking about. Did you get that wire from overseas also? if not where and what is it called? Can you poke it into the cake board to make it more stable or is it too flemsy?

I thought about using candy melts but not sure if the wire will hold that much wieght?

sarahkate80, how strong is your floral wire? what did you attach to it? is it food safe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%