Help! I Made A Mistake On Pricing For 300 P Cake.

Decorating By aviles2005 Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 10:15pm by aviles2005

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 58

I asked you guys what to charge for a cake for 300 people for red velvet and carrot cake you all said $600-1000 Well I quoted her $600 because I didn't want to be ridiculous and boy was I wrong. ($600 for premium flavors, I'm such a push over.) Now she looking for ways to lower the price. this is the email I got from her.

Hi Raquel,
Ok, what would be the price difference if we changed
the flavors? If we did Everything in White with the
buttercream filling? Or if we did the sheet cakes
white and the wedding cake carrot? Or everything
carrot and red velvet?? I'm just trying to see if it's
worth trying to save some money...
My mom was wondering as to transporting it, She and my
Brother have there own catering bussiness... So they
could do it no problem... and they have put cakes
together also...

So Do I quote her 3 times? Do I say $600 for all Carrot and R Velvet. and a quote for white cake and carrot and another quote for all white and b cake. I dont know what to do really. Its cheaper for me to do white and BC and the carrot cake cost me a fortune to make ( I do make the best carrot cake icon_biggrin.gif ) For now on Im listening to you pros! ( and not I dont know weather to do the serving in the wilton cake sized or colette peters sizes hers are 6" 10s/ 8" 20s/ 10" 30s/ 12" 50s / 14" 70 servings)

57 replies
NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 58

HERES A BUMP!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 58

"Dear Bride: The price I gave you was my white cake with bc pricing. I actually was giving your the premium flavors at no extra charge. THe normal price for the cake you ordered is $1000. So while you are welcome to change the flavors to anything you wish, the price cannot be lowered.

I will deduct $25 delivery fee if you want to pick it up yourself. Whoever picks it up must sign off that the cake was acceptable at the time of pickup and that responsibility for the condition of the cake transfers to the person picking up the cake at the time the cake goes into their vehicle."

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 58

You can certainly offer her two different quotes for the different flavours she is inquiring about. I think that $600 even for your basic cake recipe is low, but then that depends on where you live, etc.

Under no circumstances let someone else transport and put together your cake whether they say they have done it before or not. It's your reputation and livelyhood and you know that if there is a problem, it won't be their name that is brought to everyone's attention.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 58

I'm with Indy. The only difference I would tell her you didn't add the delivery/setup fee so there would be nothing more to take off.

Dawncurby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawncurby Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 58

Hi,
I would only give her 2 quotes..

1. For all red and carrott or all red or all carrot

2. For all white

I would stick to the $600 for #1 and only lower it by like a $100 for #2, you still have to put all the work into either cake it's just the difrence in flavor..Be sure to stick to your guns and don't back down. I use to decorate at a supermarket and for a cake to feed 300 or more with flavored cake and delivery would have been $600 or more, much more.

Dee

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 58

I agree with Indydebi completely! Very well said. thumbs_up.gif

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 58

Instead of trying to change the price, I would tell her that $600 is the price for white/buttercream (not complicated & $2 p/s?), you were giving her a deal. Tell her normally your specialty cakes are $3.50 per serving. I wouldn't go into details about ingredients, how long this takes, and how long that takes. I would just let her know she already has the lowest price at which you can accomodate her.

That's just my opinion. Too much work to go any lower.

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 58

wow, thought I was first to post, well indydebi, see i'm thinking like you now. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes-r-us

wow, thought I was first to post, well indydebi, see i'm thinking like you now. icon_smile.gif

Uh-Oh! That could be a really bad thing, ya know! icon_razz.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Dear Bride: The price I gave you was my white cake with bc pricing. I actually was giving your the premium flavors at no extra charge. THe normal price for the cake you ordered is $1000. So while you are welcome to change the flavors to anything you wish, the price cannot be lowered.

I will deduct $25 delivery fee if you want to pick it up yourself. Whoever picks it up must sign off that the cake was acceptable at the time of pickup and that responsibility for the condition of the cake transfers to the person picking up the cake at the time the cake goes into their vehicle."

PERFECT!

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 58

Debi, as always, you hit the nail on the head!! couldnt have said it any better! thumbs_up.gif

aviles2005 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 58

I should have listened to indydebi from the start shes the one that told me to charge more and did i listen??? You guys are the best. I replied already. I took indydebi advice in that email, gave it my personal touch and hopefully she'll look into seeing how much wedding cakes really are and for her flavors. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #14 of 58

There is a thread specifically about Debi right now saying how great she is and how perfect her advice is and how everything always works out when done her way lmfao....

I agree with Debi (no she's not pulling the puppet strings again lol) but I think that IS what should be said... you have cut yourself so darn short on this one.... you should've told her $1000.~ from the jump... but yes tell her what Debi said icon_smile.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:36am
post #15 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Can I just say I want to hire Debi as my business manager?! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:41am
post #16 of 58

ah shucks! I've just mastered the art of Bullsh** better than most! icon_redface.gif

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:45am
post #17 of 58

I also agree with everything Debi said and how she said it. I don't sell cakes, but if I did.....thats just what I would do. Best of luck!!

God Bless,
Sharon

Edited to say: icon_lol.gif Debi, I like your art of bull----....I think it's funny icon_lol.gif .

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #18 of 58

Dare I say it??? I agree with Debi 110%.. Tell her you knew she was on a budget so you were giving her the premium cakes for your non-premium price. Exactly what Debi said. Give her a written quote of what the premium cakes would normally cost and show her what your white cakes cost (the $600 price). Tell her delivery is NOT included (unless you told her it was) and then let her decide. Tell her a sheet cake will cost her no less per serving than a tiered cake too.. I hate that people think that.. I mean sheet cakes are the SAME freakin' cake.. especially if she wants the slices to look like wedding cake.

Stick to your guns.. she's fishing for a discount.. don't bite. It's not worth it to you integrity.

enchantedmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedmoments Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:57am
post #19 of 58

indy
said it all.
we all make mistakes at times
we just have to be quick at fixing them and sometimes it takes a little Bulls*** to get it done

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:01am
post #20 of 58

That was a nice save by indydebi
Let us know what she says when she replies to you.

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #21 of 58

now i know who to come to when I'm in a bind
indydebi, you are indeed a master in BS

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:46am
post #22 of 58

First I SOOO agree with Indydebi! You were already giving her a GREAT deal!

Second, for the delivery Definitely make her (or whoever picks up) that you are NOT responsible for the cake once it has left your posession. And make sure you get pictures BEFORE it leaves your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Tell her a sheet cake ill cost her no less per serving than a tiered cake too.. I hate that people think that.. I mean sheet cakes are the SAME freakin' cake.. especially if she wants the slices to look like wedding cake.

I SOO agree. I have my pricing set up so it doesn't matter what shape (square, rectangle, petal, or rectangle for sheets) the cake is in it is very clear that the price is the same.

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:06am
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Tell her a sheet cake ill cost her no less per serving than a tiered cake too.. I hate that people think that.. I mean sheet cakes are the SAME freakin' cake.. especially if she wants the slices to look like wedding cake.

I SOO agree. I have my pricing set up so it doesn't matter what shape (square, rectangle, petal, or rectangle for sheets) the cake is in it is very clear that the price is the same.

Me too. I tell them "You're getting the same amount of cake, no matter what pan I bake it in."

They are no less work than a 3-tier cake with just ribbon around the base and I dont' discount for a ribbon-based cake because of simplicity.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 5:18am
post #24 of 58

I agree about not changing the price. people think that $600 is expensive for a wedding cake that large which is far from fact. IndyDebi in all her wisdom said it right! Don't waiver on this! She's getting a helluva deal!

elle

aviles2005 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:13am
post #25 of 58

Hey ladies this was her reply! ( unfortunately! I previously used the ingredient excuse) anyway!

Hi Raquel,
Sorry, I was confused! I thought that when you said
the ingredients were more expensive, that there was a
difference in the price. We can do the $600, I was
just trying to figure out where we can save some
money... I'll let mom know about signing off on the
cake, let me know when it should be picked up... I
guess we'll stick with the original flavors, we are
getting alot of Not attending responses, at this rate
maybe less then half might show. we are thinking
150-200...
Thanks very much,
I'm getting excited!!
Karen

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:35am
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviles2005

Hey ladies this was her reply! ( unfortunately! I previously used the ingredient excuse) anyway!

Hi Raquel,
Sorry, I was confused! I thought that when you said
the ingredients were more expensive, that there was a
difference in the price. We can do the $600, I was
just trying to figure out where we can save some
money... I'll let mom know about signing off on the
cake, let me know when it should be picked up... I
guess we'll stick with the original flavors, we are
getting alot of Not attending responses, at this rate
maybe less then half might show. we are thinking
150-200...
Thanks very much,
I'm getting excited!!

Karen

so is she still paying the $600 for 300 servings or does she want to pay $300-$400 for 150-200 servings? or...is she going to pay you $600 for 150-200 servings? now I"M confused! icon_confused.gif

Suzy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzy40 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:11am
post #27 of 58

Oh my goodness I have been watching this unfold and its even confused me, is she now having a cake for 150 to 200 or the original amount
wow and I thought my customers were good at trying to wrangle me

she is a pro

Suzy

tashaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashaluna Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:06pm
post #28 of 58

omg this is a hard thread... I can see that people can hagle on a wedding cake. (I already have a hard time priceing Then to have someone hagle ouch)

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:19pm
post #29 of 58

I agree with Indydebi. I'm slowly learning as well to price properly. Why do it for the cost of ingredients and about $1/hour? icon_surprised.gif

Some people are just like your customer. They get a price and then they HAVE to talk you down. Let them find the cake somewhere else for your price.

aviles2005 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #30 of 58

I'm confused too. I havent written her back...Does she now want me to say well, for 200 servings my price would be.......(I don't even know how much) for her premium flavors...... wasn't this a manipulating response. I don't know what to reply, I don't mind bringing the price down some and excluding a sheet cake. any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%