Anything Different About Decorating An Angel Food Cake?

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 9 Aug 2007 , 12:11am by chocolateandpeanutbutter

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 11

Can I use a regular cake pan? Can it be frozen? Anything I need to know?

10 replies
justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #2 of 11

Still waiting for some answers icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:03am
post #3 of 11

You can use a regular pan, but you still need to cool it upside down, suspended a bit so the cake doesn't fall.

it will be more difficult to ice, but if you use a thinner icing for a crumb coat it will help.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 11

You can't grease your pans before you bake, as angelfood cake must "grab" on to the sides of the pan in order to rise. Similarly, if you line the bottom with parchment, the cake will fall in the middle when you turn it upside-down to cool. I have successfully made angel food cake in my 9x13 pan and I have made angel food cupcakes in paper liners.

Go easy on the icing - the texture of the cake is sponge-like and delicate - it's easy to crush, and it won't hold up to heavy icing. The best frostings for angel-food cake are the consistency of whipped cream. You could use the Whimsical Bake House buttercream, I think.

It's such a delicious cake. My favourite is to make a lemon tower cake: Slice the cake into three layers, and fill with lemon pie filling (or lemon curd). Then mix more lemon pie filling with Cool Whip or prepared Dream Whip or sweetened whipped cream, and cover the cake with the mixture. You must store it in the fridge, but it is so delicious and light! A perfect summertime dessert!

purpleheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purpleheart Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

I just got a request for a cake this weekend and he wants an angel food cake for his wife. You said that you can't grease the pan before you bake it. What did you mean by that. Do you not grease the pan at all? I have not made an angel food cake before. I was thinking of making it in an 8" pan instead of a bundt pan. Help would be greatly appreciated.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 11

Yep, I meant you don't grease it. Angel food cake is based on egg-white, and it has no fat at all in it. Fat can cause your cake to break down, so you must bake in ungreased pans. Similarly, when you are mixing it, you must make sure all your bowls and utensils are free from any grease or oil (like when you make royal icing). It's best not to use a plastic bowl.

When the cake is baking, the batter grabs on to the side of the pan to help it rise.

Angel food cakes are traditionally made in a tube pan with a removable bottom. When the cake is baked, it is cooled in the pan upside down until it is completely cool. Then you release the sides from the pan using a serrated knife. This is where the removable bottom comes in handy - you can remove the cake and then remove the bottom from it. The pan looks like this:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30BEC0-475A-BAC0-55E8C2F2B5E71F7D&fid=3E3323E9-475A-BAC0-51DA0DCB513FA767

Here is some great info on angel food cakes:

http://www.baking911.com/cakes/angel

Let me know if you have any more questions! Angel food cake is so delicious and light. I hope it turns out for you!

(edited to say - sorry, for some reason my link won't come up linkable. copy and paste the address into your browser)

purpleheart Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you for the help and for the link to baking911 that proved to be helpful. I baked my cake when I got up this morning in an 8" round pan. I just took them out and they came out ok. I am going to try to frost them this afternoon with a whipped butercream frosting. I will let you know how it turned out and post a picture. Again thank you very much for the info.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 11

You are very welcome! And I'm glad it turned out. Doesn't it smell heavenly while it's baking? Mmm...I'm going to have to make some soon!

Can't wait to see the pictures!

purpleheart Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 11

Ok Here is the picture of the angel food cake. I'm sorry that it took me so long to get it up.

purpleheart Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 11

My picture is too big and I can't seem to get it any smaller. I will put it in my photos. It is the cake that is frosted white with purple writing on top it say Happy Birthday Lori. and has purple tulips made out of candy on the top and sides.

Thank you again for all of your help

chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #11 of 11

It looks great! Glad it turned out so well!

Hmm....I think I might have to try an 8" round angelfood now...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%