Need Help With Cakes

Decorating By barbi_boo Updated 27 Sep 2006 , 4:26am by sugarnut

barbi_boo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbi_boo Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

I need help with baking my cakes. The sides of the cake roll and come out hard while the center of the cake rises. Could somebody please help me to correct this problem.

Thank you
barbi_boo

6 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

I bake all my cakes at 325 degrees.

Are you sure your not over baking them?

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 7

Try to bake a cake roll higher up in your oven (not the bottom rack).

Also, do you have a thermometer in your oven? If not, you should get one (available in most supermarkets) because what the temperature says on the knob or outside of the oven is often wrong. Your oven is most likely too hot.

Hope this helps!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 7

you know I had that problem and then I started using the flower nail....if you haven't heard of the trick you grease it as you would your pan and lay it in the bottom of the pan and then fill with batter...the nail acts as a heating core and helps to get the middle of the cake done sooner (as much as 10 minutes sooner for me the other day) so the edges don't get so overdone.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 7

As Monica0271 suggested, I would lower the temp to 325. Maybe move your oven rack which the cake is on up one level.

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

do you open you oven after youve put it to bake? that might be the problem.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

you're just having a heating issue of the middle not heating as fast as the outside, and so the outer edges overcook. If you use the flower nail for larger cakes and reduce the temp like everyone said, it works great. On really large cakes I use a heating core. The Wilton bake-even strips work pretty well, too, and a great recipe helps too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%