Stupid Newbie Question, But...

Decorating By postcakes Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm by postcakes

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! It's getting close to "bake day" and I just wanted to be sure about something. I am making a 3 tier cake: smallest oval, medium oval, 12 x 18 half sheet for a Christening (first "commissioned" cake, yikes!). I plan to use BC icing, roses, scrolls. Question is, do I dowel and stack the cakes BEFORE I decorate them, or after each tier has been completely decorated? I really don't want to screw this up! Thanks for any help you experienced decorators can provide.

7 replies
deepthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deepthi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 8

I usually decorate the cakes and dowel and stack the just before delivery. I do the borders after stacking though. I think its better this way coz you can use the turn table and decorate the cakes and then stack them.

Hope this helps..

All the best...icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 8

no, no, no --- not stupid ----

LEARNING -- INQUIRING --
COMMITTED TO DOING A GOOD JOB

most decorate except for bottom border on the stacking cakes..

then stack

then add the borders on the bottom border on the two that got stacked to hide any gaps, etc.

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 8

With BC we always put the decorations on after the cakes are stacked. With fondant, we decorate then stack. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 8

Sometimes it depends on the design. I totally decorated each tier, insert the dowels, deliver it unassembled, then assemble it with minor decorating at the site (such as adding a border).

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

It depends on whether you plan to transport the cake stacked, or separated. I like decorating a cake already stacked but you couldn't take it apart to transport if you did it that way. I have done them both ways...so you can't go wrong. By the way....I love hearing you are doing it all with buttercream. My kind of cake.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 8

As Indydebi stated, I think it depends on the design......

postcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postcakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your quick replies. I knew I could count on all of you! I will post a photo on Monday (unless, of course, it is a total embarrassment). I have spent countless hours on CC in preparation for the big day (much to the detriment of my "real" job. If they ever take away internet access I don't think I could actually work for 8 hours.) Hope you are all having a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%