Ever Feel Like Walking Away?

Decorating By shifty Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 3:53am by VACakelady

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #1 of 14

I used to adore baking and decorating cakes but lately all I think about is how much work it is and the mess it makes, the time it take and the stress of I hope they like it maybe I am just going through a flunk and in a week I will be baking up a storm or maybe I am realizing cake decorating is not for me. I still enjoy coming here and reading as many posts as I can and looking at all the beautiful cakes, but Im just not so sure doing it myself is really for me. I guess this was more of whine than a post wasnt it? Thanks for reading.

13 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #2 of 14

Have felt this many times!! As a matter of fact this last week was the latest. I hate the clean up part and I just don't feel like I am that creative!! But I LOVE looking on CC at all of the wonderful pictures. Like you said, maybe it's just a funk and it will go away again. Good luck and hang in there.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #3 of 14

I'm just now getting out of my cake funk--It seriously lasted for longer than I would have hoped (lasted a few months) Everyone feels this way at times no matter what they do---just take a break until someone comes to you with a challenge you just feel you have to do.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:39am
post #4 of 14

I feel that way sometimes too! But then I think of of all the money I have put into it and realize my hubby would kill me if I stop now!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:08am
post #5 of 14

Oh, I think it's normal to feel that way. I've taken a sabbatical for a few months now. But then someone asked me to do a wedding cake (to serve 80) and I agreed, charged her more than I usually do, and had a great time making the cake--even made some money. I think I have ADD. There are so many things I want to learn. I learned the cake stuff---quite a bit, not all--I have to move on to the next thing, like getting back into photography, and learning to play the cello--- nothing's worse than dreading making a cake you agreed to make for a friend of a friend when you'd rather be doing something else.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:28am
post #6 of 14

As you are finding out, you are not alone. EVERYone goes through this at some time or another. It's hard to get through when you have customers depending on you and you just want to run a mile! It does pass. Things do get better once you realise you need to take some of the load off yourself. Don't agree to do so much. Do what you want to and not what you feel you have to. I hope you feel better soon. thumbs_up.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:28am
post #7 of 14

oh Leta...I am with you on wanting to learn new things. I have taken classes on plumbing, masonry, carpentry, upholstery, cake decorating , woodworking, gardening etc. I just love to learn but I have stuck with cake decorating and just do it for fun. Although one of the girls here at work asked me about possibly doing her wedding cake. Of course I am not sure...only because it scares me to do someone elses wedding cake that is not related to me.

oh well....yeah we all get in funks and just have to do something else til we fall out of the funk...

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #8 of 14

Thanks its nice to know other people go through this.

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #9 of 14

i go thru that from time to time.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #10 of 14

Cake RN and Leta, you guys sound like Geminis! I'm the same way. I do something for a little while and then I have to move on to something else. My friends tell me I have adult ADD all the time. I haven't really gotten busy yet with the cakes so I don't think I'm burned out yet. But there are individual times when I'm making a cake that I have to get up and walk away because things are just not going my way and I get frustrated. I think it happens to all of us. And there's nothing wrong with taking a break to learn and do something else.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #11 of 14

I get "caked" from time to time and luckily it seems to happen when I have a lull in orders. So I just take breaks icon_smile.gif

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:54am
post #12 of 14

Ya know, everyone is right, it will pass. But I know how you feel too, I go through highs and lows all the time. The worse was two months back, I was doing two orders for one weekend, one cake was for a family member. Then I was doing 2 half sheets, a 9x13, and a sculpted graduation cap for this other person. I had all these projects planned out and cordinated then the graduation lady called and told me I would need to keep all her (cream filled) cakes until the party cause she didn't have room to store them overnight! I was so mad all I wanted was to walk away from all of it- every last stinking scrap of cake, fondant and icing- and I did for an hour or two. Then I came back and started my other project. Before I knew it I was enjoying myself again. And it was because I decided to do it for the pleasure it would bring me and not at all for them. Decorate for you, and the pleasure and creative outlet it gives you!
Well, thats my two cents. I hope it helps!

~Truly

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:41am
post #13 of 14

Yes I have loved cake decorating for a long time. My latest is since Crisco changed. It just not fun anymore. I keep trying different recipes and cannot find one that is working well anymore. I had a really good recipe I liked and then now everything is a gamble. The internet really inspired me back to enjoying cakes again, because I am one who needs a visual idea and that is what you get here. But the icing thing has really got me discouraged.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:53am
post #14 of 14

I feel this way pretty much every single day!!! I'm getting to the point where I work so hard (have a FT job too) and I never have a moment to myself. I have recently started changing some things in my life to be happier and the cakes are going to have to slow down. I'm finally going to take some time for me and have some fun for a change.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%