Cake Ideas?... Last Thanksgiving With Mom

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 28 Sep 2006 , 5:53am by mom_of_4girls

lhmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhmoore Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #31 of 39

((((((((((((((((Jovigirl))))))))))))))))

I know that I am new to the boards but I wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you as your family comes together. Along with the family album or family tree idea, the actual cake can be made with an open book pan. And on it you could write your mom's favorite sayings that she has said to you kids when you were growing. Or maybe a favorite bible verse of hers.

On another note, I apologize if you are not religous so please don't take this wrong. Keep in mind that if the good Lord leads you to it, he will lead you through it. I will be praying for you and your family.

Lil

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 3:38am
post #32 of 39

One thing you need to remember - your mother is still alive. Don't bury her in your grief while you can still enjoy her company. Live, laugh and cry if you must but make your time together a celebration of her life. I likes the idea of a photo of her children then and now. It goes along with the idea of giving people permission to die. Your mother has done a good job of raising her children and that you all can take it from there.

The Sunday before my mother died, the visiting priest came into everyone laughing, eating and have a good sitting around the table. Mom's hospital bed was set up in the dining room. My mother was a part of it even though she was no longer able to leave her bed and really wasn't eating anymore. The look on the priest's face was priceless. After getting over his shock, he said, "This is great you are celebrating life." She faded into a coma a few days later and died in the same dining room.

We have never regretted that last family party- it was as it should have been. We had all finally accepted her coming death and we were free to enjoy being a family, no tears just the usual silliness and smart alack remarks. It is a very good memory.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 39

Narie,

Thank you for your comment. Yes she is still alive & we are celebrating & laughing as much as we can, As stressed as we are at this time we do not show her, as we do not want to upset her. I guess I'm really feeling it as there has been some talks with want will happen when the time comes...
My, I guess I should say our real fear is when the time comes is that she will be alone as I had mentioned before all her children live here in Canada & she lives in Argentina, when something happens it will be very difficult even to make it there on time as it is custom to bury someone the same day at most the day after & it takes a full 24 hours to get from here to there & that is only if flights are availible....
I fully agree with you on the celebration of life & that is all of our mission this weekend!!!
I want to thank everyone again for you ideas & thoughts God bless you all.
I'm hoping to have this figured out by today sometime so I can get everything needed in order to have it ready by Saturday...
Thank you all icon_lol.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:24pm
post #34 of 39

my heart is breaking for you...i am sorry that your Mom is sick. i do not have any ideas for you i cant think of any. i hope that you have a long time with your mom. let her know you love her and that will help you. i am so sorry. my prayers are with you all.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:06pm
post #35 of 39

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone again for your help, I know I can always count on you!!!

Well I have decided to do a heart cake with 2 edible images (as I found a local grocery store that will print them for me) one pic when we were small kids & another pic with us all grown. And maybe some roses all around the edge & basketweave on the sides & as I know she liked the few cakes I've done with that tecnique. And a small plaque that says simply "Te amamos Mama" (We love you Mom).
I didn't want to do too much as I rather be spending the day relaxing with her & there will be alot of cooking to do as well & as it will be quite a big gathering icon_eek.gif

Thanks again!

I will post it once fininshed if I can get me camera to work.. I still have a few cakes done in the past I can't upload icon_mad.gif

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:28pm
post #36 of 39

jovigirl

I just came across your post today and I love what you have came up with for your cake Im sure everyone will love it and most of all it will be made with love .

You and your family will be in my prayers take care ........

siris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siris Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:52pm
post #37 of 39

OMG, THIS IS SOOOOO SAD, I TOO LOST MY MOTHER 2 YEARS AGO TO CANCER, PLUS I AM A SURVIVOR OF CANCER AS WELL...NOTHING REPLACES A MOTHER...I DON'T HAVE ANY IDEAS BUT WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE, IT WILL BE FILLED WITH LOVE AND YOUR MOTHER WILL LOVE IT TOO...HANG IN THERE

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 9:00pm
post #38 of 39

You thought about a family tree cake? May be too cliche but that's all that comes to mind

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:53am
post #39 of 39

I am so sorry to hear about your mom.I just lost my dad 3 weeks ago to cancer.My prayers are with you and your family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%