Wrong Name On Cake

Decorating By alisoncooks Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 3:46am by tasty_treats

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 9

This is a minor "disaster" but they're always fun to read. I received my new icing tips in the mail and was itching to try them out. My hubby was working a week of camp an hour away so I made a camp cake for the staff to eat. Just trying out all my tips, just a plain sheet cake, wrote the camp name on it. And as I was finishing up, I realized, I'd written the wrong camp name (as a minister, hubby works multiple camps). DANG-IT! Well, the staff all got a kick out of it! AND they ate it all up icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 9

Well at least they enjoyed the cake! : ) That's one of my worst fears, that I will mispell the name or get it wrong. : )

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

I did that once...for a cake being delivered to my own church :doh:. It was a large cake to celebrate the 5th anniversary of a christian indonesian congregation that uses our church on Sunday afternoons.

I put on it "Happy 5th Anniversary Emmanual Indonesian Church"

It looked great...except that the church spells it "Immanual" instead.

No one said anything to me, but I was mortified when I discovered my mistake the following Sunday.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 9

I put the wrong name once on a birthday cake. I had delivered the cake to a neighbor because it was an over-the-hill cake for a surprise 40th party, to much oohing and aahing and oh what a great cake! I had driven down the road about a mile, when the birthday boy's neighbor called back and said, "Oh my gosh, the wrong name is on the cake!" Since I lived about 30 miles away from where I'd delivered the cake, I just ran to Wal-Mart, bought a can of Wilton's orange frosting in a can that you can attach a plastic tip to, went back to the house, scraped the wrong name off with a toothpick and put the right name on--thank goodness I'd used a fairly generic color for the name!! The tip on the can was a little bit bigger than the 3 tip I'd used for the rest of the writing, but it still looked OK--how embarassing though! They have ordered other cakes from me since so maybe it's OK to be human after all! HA!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 9

Waaaaaaay back in the 1st couple of years of my decorating career I made a grad cake and put *the father's name* on it instead of the son who was graduatingicon_smile.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 7:14am
post #6 of 9

I bet the campers liked it even more thinking they were eating the OTHER camp's cake!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 9

Holy smoke...once in a while we would misspell the name on a cake at the bakery. My co-worker (ery experienced) taught me this...place the cake in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes, just long enough to freeze the lettering, then using a thin paring knife, chip the letters off. Works nicely.

Anna

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

Nice to know I'm not alone. I didn't worry about fixing the mistake since it was just a practice cake and nobody there was even expecting it. They were just happy to be getting something sweet to eat icon_smile.gif HOWEVER...I'm sure now, I will be super vigilant when I'm doing my next cake with wording.

tasty_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasty_treats Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:46am
post #9 of 9

I'm just glad everything worked out alright with the wrong name... and that everyone had a good laugh about it. I'm paranoid that I'll put the wrong name on a cake, so I check it over about a hundred times just to make sure I have it right..... then it doesn't help when some wise guy says "oh, you spelled birthday wrong" (when it isn't).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%