Displaying Pictures

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 5 Jul 2005 , 6:02am by Newbie

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

Hey,

I have seen a lot of cakes in the galleries that have a nice background in them & a picture frame look. I think KayDay is one & Peacock. I know there are others too. How do you do this? Is this from your scanner or from something on your computer? PLEASE teach me how to do this icon_cry.gif I have several backgrounds in my pics that are horrible!! I do not want to show them w/ ugly stuff behind the cakes or people behind the cakes.

THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

~TC~ usaribbon.gif

6 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:11am
post #2 of 7

Hey Tc, for my backgrounds I just use a piece of foam board leaned up against a chair at my bar, then cover it with a sheet. I told my husband that I'm going to have to start bringing a sheet when I go tot set up a cake so I know the bcakground will be pretty. I have also edited out stuff using print shop if I needed to. That's something I've been trying to work on because it can make or break your cake picture!

Hope you had a good 4th!

klsunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klsunny Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:16am
post #3 of 7

I always try to get good pictures of my cakes with as little clutter around it as possible. Then, if I still have too much stuff I just crop it away when I create my collages (see my posted photos). Many people have asked, but I use Microsoft PhotoDraw or Digital Image Pro to create them.

Anyway, the best way to get good pics is to get yourself a sheet or some fabric to place your cake on, make sure its in good light (enough to where you don't have to use a flash) and get pics from all sorts of angles and close-ups of anything special or particularly detailed.

Hope that helps!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:46am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Kristy & klsunny!

That's funny you posted on this post klsunny because I really like the way you display your photos! The green cake you made w/ the roses & ruffles from Wilton class is very pretty! I actually have it on my desk top! I pick a pic that I really like from CC every so often & put it on my desk top. I had one of Kristy's on it last week!

I will try the foam board & sheet Kristy! That's a great idea! What about after you have the cake set up at the wedding? There is always a fire extinguisher, pictures, icebox, plug ins etc in the background. I hate that!!

I guess I need to invest in some plastic white lattice to carry w/ me to all the weddings just incase the church doesn't have it.

Anyone else w/ ideas??

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 5:26am
post #5 of 7

What I use when I take my pictures is I use a plain white sheet. I iron it thoroughly and then fold it in half to make sure the background does not com through the sheet if I have to I will set the sheet up on a box or place a chair real close to the table to drape the sheet over. Another trick I saw a photographer use at a wedding I went to is she took a projection screen one of those old ones that you use with slide projectors or older motion picture projectors and set it up behind the cake it gave a plain white background and blocked out all of the clutter in the background.
For the picture frame look it usually depends on the photo software you are using some have preloaded borders in a file and you can just add them to your picture.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 5:52am
post #6 of 7

I also want to know how to combine two views into one photo, anyone with instructions on how to do that?

My backgrounds haven't been the greatest either, I usually just try to get close enough to the cake that there isn't much background showing. The trophy cake, I just stood a covered cakeboard behind it, and it helped a lot! The foam core would be good, it is nice and smooth. Janice

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 6:02am
post #7 of 7

I think lighting is incredibly important - I see many of you have lots of natural light in your kitchen and your photos look spectacular. You are sooo lucky. I usually have to take my cakes to a shaded outdoor spot. Some outdoor photos need flash to get rid of shadows.

Look closely at your favorities photos and I'll bet lighting and background are very well done in all of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%