Questions From Inexperienced Decorator

Decorating By anneuk Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 2:01am by sweet_as_tisse

anneuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 13

Hi Everyone,
Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions...

I am ging to make a special two tier cake for my daughters 13th birthday lte August. I am confident with applying the sugar paste but have never layered two cakes directly on top of each other.

Does the top cake need to be on a board and supported with dowels or will it be OK to place directly ontop? I am thinking of doing a 6" cake ontop of an 8" cake (do these proportions sound OK?)

I will also be making a bow (multi loop bow) for the top of the cake, can ask will mexican modelling paste work OK for this? I was thinking of making the bow In white and use lustre colours to tint the bow.

Can I ask ally uo experienced decorators how long in advance I should make and cover the cake? I am making the bottom tier chocolate sponge and the top layer an orange sponge, I am crumb coating with a thin layer of buttercream and then adding a thin layer of marzipan (my daughter adores it) before putting a final layer of sugar paste ontop to cover the cake)

The decoration will be simple consisting of strips of coloured fndant, adhered with edible glue to the upper layer as stripes. And thin coloured sugar paste flower shapes adhered with edible glue to the lower tier.

I am also going to try to perfect my edible roses (also made from mexican modelling paste) to place a few on the cake.

I so want this to be a pretty cake as my daughter has Asperger syndrome and is sooo looking forward t o being 13.

If anyone has any other tips that might help, lease do feel free to share them with me.....

12 replies
cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 13

i think if your going to use sponge cake, then yes I would use some sort of support under the 6" tier. a Cardbord round and dowels should be fine.

I've never heard of Mexican modeling paste so I can't answer that question.

I'm sure someone else will jump on this, sorry I couldn't help you much further.

Good luck with your cake!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 13

The proportions are fine. Here's a 6" and 8":
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=57875

Dowell and place your top cake on a board.

anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks CB
The mexican paste I have is this one
http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_SQUMMP200K&url=http://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/8/108/index.htm

Not sure if many will have used it outside of the UK...

I have just seen the post on the the bows just posted those bows are lovely. The only reason I have chosen to go with modelling paste is so it goes really hard as My daughter will want to keep it. I am going to make it onto a board so she can take it off prior to cutting!

Anne

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 13

Ok In honor of your daughter and her big One Three lets make this cake fantastic!
I think your cake sizes sound great. Yes I would most assuredly use dowels and a cake board to stack them.
Ok I wasnt sure what Mexican modeling paste was so I looked it up and from what I can tell it sounds like it would be perfect to use, but mind you I have never worked with it personally so I could be very very wrong.

You could make cover your cake even the day before the event and refrigerate, all though I prefer to cover my cakes the day of. If you do refrigerate, expect there to be condensation when pulling out of the fridge so DONT touch it until it is completely dry.

Other than that sounds to me like you are on the right track.
It is going to be beautiful and your Daughter is going to LOVE itDont forget to post pics!

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 13

Hello,
As you are using marzipan and fondant I would use a board and dowel. As for the mexican paste it should be fine I've only used flower paste for flowers but it dries harder than mexican paste so might not be nice to eat. I'm in the uk and if it's a sponge cake with fondant I usually bake and decorate within a week.

anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you so very much for all your help!!!!

I have just decided to enrol on a night course in sugar paste and sugar flowers as I have always learned as I have gone along and never had any formal help, but looking through your beautiful images in the gallery I am desperate to get going....

And with 4 cake loving kids I always have lots of cakes to bake!!!

Thanks again.....

Anne

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 13

anneuk if you want to keep the topper you can go with the cold porcelain which is very innexpensive and great to work with. It keeps very well, I did the flowers for my daughter's wedding cake with them in 1999 and they still look great. Here is the recipe.

Cold Porcelain Paste

3/4 cup of white glue
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup of water
1 teaspoon of cold cream*
1 teaspoon of glycerin
Mix wet ingredients until smooth over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes and add cornstarch. Stir continually until it forms a ball, remove from pan and mix thoroughly with hands. (I like to cover with a damp cloth until its cool enough to handle) do not refrigerate. Keep in an airtight bag for 24 hours before you start working with it.

* Ponds Cold Cream will do the job .
Use as you would any modeling paste, can be molded and used in many ways... use chalk powder to colour, or paint with any paint when dry.

Use cold cream to moisten mold and/or when you are working with it, if it becomes sticky.. Or ..dust with cornstarch...adjust ingredients for more or less.

anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you,

Just on eother quick question, do I need to allow the white marzipan to dry fully before adding the sugar paste or can I do one straight after the other?

Thanks

anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 13

Just asking again if anyone knows whether I need to leave the marzipan to dry fully before putting n the sugar paste?

Thanks in advance.

Anne

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneuk

Just asking again if anyone knows whether I need to leave the marzipan to dry fully before putting n the sugar paste?

Thanks in advance.

Anne

Hi Anne

when i use almond icing on my fruit cakes i always allow a day for the almond icing to harden a little, it will give you a better surface to apply the fondant onto...

you daughters cake sound like it is going to be fantastic, i look forward to seeing it finished

cheers

kylie

anneuk Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks Kylie,
Tonight I had a play with the modelling paste and made my first ever roses... they were a bit too soft and so went a bit flat as the layers sort of stuck together so tomorrow am going to try again and use a bit of cornflower to stiffen the paste a little...

I am really excited about making tis cake for her,,....

sorry one more question, i have read on this site about chilling cakes... if I am going to ahve sponge cakes filled with jam (jelly?) and buttercream, will I need to refrigerate the cakes? I am thinking it will be warm <hopefully> by end August and do't want the buttercream to go off or melt and get messy.... Does refrigerating also give a better finish with the fondant? I am a real stickler for smoothness and want to get it as smooth as possible.

Anne

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:01am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anneuk

Thanks Kylie,
Tonight I had a play with the modelling paste and made my first ever roses... they were a bit too soft and so went a bit flat as the layers sort of stuck together so tomorrow am going to try again and use a bit of cornflower to stiffen the paste a little...

I am really excited about making tis cake for her,,....

sorry one more question, i have read on this site about chilling cakes... if I am going to ahve sponge cakes filled with jam (jelly?) and buttercream, will I need to refrigerate the cakes? I am thinking it will be warm <hopefully> by end August and do't want the buttercream to go off or melt and get messy.... Does refrigerating also give a better finish with the fondant? I am a real stickler for smoothness and want to get it as smooth as possible.

Anne

i have never used sponge cakes to decorate so i am not much help with this question but if i was going to do what you are I would probably fill and ice the cakes then cover with the almond icing, allow this to site overnite (not in the fridge) then i would cover with fondant and depending on when you were going to serve the cake i would refridgerate it. you fondant will firm up in the fridge and when you take it out it may start to sweat but as long as you let it come back to room temp without touching it it should be fine....

a cold iced cake in my opinion does give you a better surface for applying fondant but if you are covering yours in almond icing then fondant, you can get a really nice surface by smoothing the almond icing and allowing it to firm up overnite. it doesnt matter if you have creases and such because the fondant will hide this...

once again this is what i would, not nessacarily (spelling.....lol) what you should do..

hope this helps

cheers

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%