Princess Cake Challenge

Decorating By spongemomsweatpants Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 7:18pm by carterl

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 44

wooohoo it's going to be on in 15mins!! I can't wait, being a self proclaimed princess, as well as giving birth to the ultimate princess her self, we are very excited to see our likeness being made into cakes..LOL
So I brought home a big box of goodies from the shop, pecan dolce de luche truffle tarts, eclairs, a big slab of carrott cake , some choclate mints, and a few hazelnut shortbread cookes dipped in choclate.
My little disney princess and I are ready for a great show with a banquet fit for a ...well you know icon_wink.gif

Have fun!!

43 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 44

Oh thanks, spongemomsweatpants! I thought it was on at 9! Glad I didn't miss it!

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #3 of 44

Just finished watching, won't say who won cuz of time difference across the country and don't want to be a spoiler. Very pleased with the outcome of this challenge. Just amazes me the talent of these cake artists posess.

spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:15am
post #4 of 44

woooweee!!! That was freaking AWESOME!!! I will not post any spoilers but I did want to say this, there is one point at the begining of the show where my self, my daughter and my son were crying like gibbering goobs!! icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
I just loved that challenge and i can't wait until everyone saw it so I can discuss the cakes!!! tapedshut.gif until then mums the word

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #5 of 44

I missed it!!! I am hoping it will be on again......does anyone know the schedule?

heavenlyfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlyfire Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:20am
post #6 of 44

Thanks for the reminder of the show, and for not putting out any spoilers....it isn't on until 10 tonight, so i am anxious to see it!!

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:24am
post #7 of 44

It was a great show! I do think who won did deserve it. All the cakes were great...I don't know how they do so much under all that pressure and limited time frame. I could never do that.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:28am
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

I missed it!!! I am hoping it will be on again......does anyone know the schedule?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,2495,FOOD_20077_51841,00.html icon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:29am
post #9 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by southaustingirl

no worries it will be on again :
AIR TIMES:
July 29, 2007 8:00 PM ET/PT
July 30, 2007 3:00 AM ET/PT
August 01, 2007 9:00 PM ET/PT
August 02, 2007 12:00 AM ET/PT
August 04, 2007 6:00 PM ET/PT
August 05, 2007 3:00 PM ET/PT

thumbs_up.gif

spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:32am
post #10 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueB

It was a great show! I do think who won did deserve it.

I totally agree with you thumbs_up.gif

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:32am
post #11 of 44

I thought it was a great challenge and all the cakes were beautiful!

RaYiTo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaYiTo Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #12 of 44

this challenge was [email protected] TO SE IT.. GREATTTTTT..LOVE ITT! i barely even know how to decore a cake,but i do love the show!!!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:33am
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

Just amazes me the talent of these cake artists posess.

Oh I know it is crazy what these people can do, more so under so much pressure. Truly impressive.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:37am
post #14 of 44

Oh I was so glad I got to see TWO challenges today. Simpsons and Princess. I'm feeling inspired! I do agree with the winner as well. I wanna talk about them so badly, but will wait....

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #15 of 44

Wow!!! Super challenge! Watched it with my daughters who loved it and we were all happy with the winner! Watching these cake decorators is just amazing...incredible talent!

sugadahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugadahl Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #16 of 44

I saw the last 30 minutes of the show. All of the cakes were amazing! The winner really deserved it.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #17 of 44

the winner was the only one who could have won...the cake that was most true to the princess than the others.

i am not giving away the winner either.

i must say though that i am very dissapointed in one of the competitors she always looks unorganised. her cake wasnt too bad in the end though.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:15am
post #18 of 44

I really enjoyed this challenege, although every competitor seemed to have issues tonight. I felt bad for Kate Sullivan because I actually do like her cakes, but she has never done well in a challenge. I think Mary Maher is going places, second win this week. She and her sister work so well together and I thought her Snow White and Dopey were so close to the cartoon characters. I was surprised that Norm Davis didn't add scales to Ariels tail, he is usually so precise on his detail work. My favorite cake and the one I think would have won first place was the Jasmine cake (Elizabeth, I think is her name) it was just a shame she had to make the choice of leaving the toothpick supports in and possibly not placing at all, or removing them and taking the chance of the topper collapsing. It was a wonderful cake. All in all a very entertaining show.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:20am
post #19 of 44

Love, love, loved it! And I don't blame the Jasmine team for making the difficult decision they had to make at the end. I think they did the right thing. It was a nail-biter and a tug-on-the-heartstrings at the same time kind of competition!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:36am
post #20 of 44

the winner won hands down, the jasmine cake was great. The cinderella cake was not what i expected, not awhole lot of princess there, am i wrong on that?
I did not think i would have the guts to do it, so have a great amount of respect for all of them.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:40am
post #21 of 44

I loved the winning cake. I felt so bad for Kate Sullivan. Some people just don't work good under pressure and time constraints. Now she knows I'm sure. It must be hard to turn down a chance to win $10,000 because your slow. I would never be able to do that. I'm slower than slow.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:30am
post #22 of 44

Mary rocks!!
Her sculpting of Snow White's face was amazing!
Her Simpsons cake was awesome, too! I think she is very fortunate to be able to do something she loves with a loved one.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:13am
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

Mary rocks!!
Her sculpting of Snow White's face was amazing!
Her Simpsons cake was awesome, too! I think she is very fortunate to be able to do something she loves with a loved one.

I agree. I loved watching her win both times today!

I really did love the Jasmine and Arien cakes too, and though belle had potential. Jasmine would have been my pick for the win with out supports and a bit more closer resemblance to Jasmine. The design was great, just didn't work out like she planned. Snow White was the definite winner though! And truely deserved it! The faces of Dopey and Snow White where priceless! And I wanted to cry over Ariel's head!

spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:51pm
post #24 of 44

Ok now that the show is over and the ending has already been posted I can now dish on the cakes!! I have been so excited to do so. The winning cake by leaps and bounds deserved it! That cake was truly awesome!! However I will say it was a very close call between Snow White, and Ariel as that was pretty darn amazing as well.

Ok here is my take; all the cakes were obviously just awesome and by far more technical and creative than anything I could have done. That being said, I did not feel that the Cinderella or the Jasmine cakes were true to the sprit of the competition at all. It was a Princess Cake challenge and it seemed that both Jasmine and Cinderella were after thoughts in the design. I was somewhat disappointed in Jasmines likeness, her face wasn't what I had expected it to come out like. Like I said they were both incredible, amazing cakes, and the talents those two ladies have is truly inspiring but I would have liked to see more princess in their cakes. I also would have liked to have seen scales on Ariels tail, but it was still incredible. However could I have done anything nearly as amazing in the amount of time and under the amount of pressure? Oh h*ll no!

As a side note I do have to agree with the Judges and their distaste over how the Cinderella cake was carved or should I say smashed, that was a little icky to me as well.

Ok raise of hands how many people cried when they introduced the Honorary Princess Judge and told her story? Like I said myself, my DD and My DS were crying like goobslol

Truly all of those people as so so talented, and all of the cakes were just insane! Every single one of the should walk away feeling like winners.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:39pm
post #25 of 44

I loved it too!!!!

I do agree with the winning cake. Her Snowhite was just amazing!!! She looked like a porcelain doll. Ariel was a close 2nd... It is too bad that he forgot the scales... but you know, on these competitions, details like these can be forgotten... I would've been a nervous WRECK!!!!

I agree and am happy with the winner. She is very talented. I was also happy that she won the Simpson cake competition. She did a very complicated cake and the head of the clown was just amazing!!!!

thumbs_up.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:10pm
post #26 of 44

I was so happy for the winner also. Nice to see new faces. I love Kate Sullivan and I got worried when I saw she was competing because she just does not compete well. I could feel her pain. I could NOT do that and work under that pressure. Thought her cake turned out great though. I actually e-mailed her to see if she teaches classes. She got right back to me (no, she doesn't teach).

Lulu4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulu4464 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #27 of 44

AMAZING ALL THE CAKES. I LOVE THE ONE THAT WON IT WAS MY FAVORITE.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 44

I am with you spongemom, that little girl has overcome obstacles that a child should not ever have to face, God Bless her and her family. Mary Maher and her sis Brenda are fab. It should be illegal to have such a talent. I think those two ladies are on their way to fame in the cake world. Would buy their book (if they ever do one) on how 2's, thats for sure.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:02pm
post #29 of 44

I heaved a great sigh of relief! They are paying attention to us! The editing actually concentrated on the cakes, and not the drama! I was about ready to give up on the challenges...

(Not to mention that I love it when I agree with the judging). Image

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 1:58am
post #30 of 44

I was pleased with the winner in both competitions as well. I didn't however like Bronwen's attitude about her loss in the Simpson's competition. Can't wait for the next one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%