Would This Be A Good Idea?

Decorating By camouflagegirl Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 4:25am by EvilToxicDuck

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 6

I really want to get my name out there around my town. So, I was thinking that maybe I would bake cupcakes and hand them out to businesses around town (not to the actual businesses, just ask if I can leave them in their break room for their employees), with a flyer of my information. Is this a good idea or not?

Also, does anyone have a template of their flyers? I would like to make my own prices, but I do not know where to begin as far as what information needs to be on one, and what information can be left out.

Thanks.

5 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

I think it's a great idea. As long as you follow the laws in your state as far as being licensed goes.
Not sure about a template or flyer....I'm sure somone can help you out with that though!

Diana

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 6

I just posted a thread about what I thought might be a good idea for those of you trying to advertise your business. I thought perhaps you could put your name and info on a slip of paper and make fortune cookies to give out. You could leave a plate of them wherever you want with a note "compliments of --------- please enjoy one. These would be great at a wedding or any sort of reception or party or at a laundry mat or church social just an idea. In my previous post I also gave the recipe for the cookies.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 2:50am
post #4 of 6

I dont know what the pros out there do for advertising besides their online presence- since i'm not a pro baker and i dont see any around here to ask lol
however among other types of things, I design brochures and I can tell you that sticking out will get you noticed. Even if it's not a full brochure- now I'm not sure what your budget is because when you start going for odd shapes, it costs a lot more at hte printer. But then again you weigh that against how badly you want to stand out and if there is competition in your area, you need to.
So for instance you might find a cupcake or wedding cake template- small one, and make that the shape of your business card and have your business name, contact info, and a small list of the things you bake or your niche, like 'wedding cakes' or ' special dietary needs' or whatever sets you apart from the competition etc- in a nice way that works with the design of the card/brochure

eg the card could be shaped like a cake slice- with the layers of your cake watermark so they dont take away from the text /info on your card. Or a 3-tiered wedding cake template and have different info on each tier. Cake slice would be a cheaper design at the printer, than a 3-tiered wedding cake. Those are just 2 ideas though. I dont know what your niche is so you might have some other images come to mind you could use!

Good luck!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

I had business cards created and I gave them to my neighbors..I also gave them to my husband for some of his employees. I got free business cards made at vistaprint.com...you only pay for shipping and handling.

EvilToxicDuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvilToxicDuck Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:25am
post #6 of 6

I always said that if I was good enough to open my own bakery (which I'm far from right now), I would want to make Business cards out of sugar cookies (with CopyKake?) and pass them out in the local parades. (of cours if it was legall and met health codes)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%