Shaved Chocolate

Decorating By donvi Updated 23 May 2008 , 11:46pm by Cakebelle

donvi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donvi Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:35am
post #1 of 8

What is the easiest way to make chocolate shavings? (technique)

7 replies
Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:06am
post #2 of 8

There's a Chocolate Shaver that you can purchase. It looks similar to a cheese slicer, but it's specifically for shaving chocolate bark. I bought one for about $8 - $9 at a cake supply store, but I haven't tried it out yet. This isn't where I bought mine, but I found a picture of one like mine. HTH.

http://www.cooksite.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0H/product-id/833145.html

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:28am
post #3 of 8

I use a veggie peeler.

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:31am
post #4 of 8

I warm the chocolate slightly (couple seconds in the microwave) and then slowly run a potato peeler down lenghtwise. This gives me nice spirals.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:51am
post #5 of 8

My favorite tool is a cheese slicer. It sort of looks like a metal spatula with a slot in the center. When I want big curls, I spread the chocolate on the back of a cookie sheet. Put in frig. for a few minutes and then pull the slicer across the cold chocolate. It works great for me and when I do this, I make lots of curls and store them in a Tupperware container in the cupboard or frig. for future use.
Happy curling!!!
Lily

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 8

Sounds like I should have saved my money and used my veggie peeler or cheese slicer! icon_redface.gif

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 8

So glad I found your post, Lilybird! You have saved me.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 8

I sue a thick bar of chocolate, warm it with my hands, and use a cheese slicer. Nice big curls every time! icon_wink.gif

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%