Customer Newsletters

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 11:58pm by Lenette

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 30

I need some new ideas about what to include in my weekly customer e-newsletters. I have found this to be an amazing way of pulling in last-minute cake and cookie orders and want to add a little more "substance" to it. I currently have a database of 110 customers who I send these to.

I normally start by including a thank you to the past week's customers..including any feedback that I may have received.

I add updates to my referral discount list...letting everyone know of their new discount totals, if any. Thank you's for referrals, etc.

New cake themes...Transformers, Ratatouille, Harry Potter, etc.

New cake photos from the past week that have been added to my website...

Weekly order schedule for pick up's and deliveries....

Weekly/monthly specials with orders, etc.

It never fails that when I send out my e-newsletter, I get an additional 3-6 new orders. What else can I add that I'm not adding at this time? My customers love the idea and I get nothing but great reviews. Again, I want to add a little more. Any suggestions or should I just leave it alone and go with it?

Thanks so much for any and all input!!!

Have a blessed day,
Amy

29 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 30

do you talk about/put photos of the cookies? and all the ways they can be packaged?

little articles about "ingredient of the month" where you can tout what makes your cakes so unique.

little contest of some sort? maybe they design a cake and the winner gets the cake made for free or at cost? (ditto for cookies)

an FAQ column? 1 question a month?

make at home simple recipe?

something that ties in to local charities? -- could be a part of your monthly/weekly specials and then can do follow up article on results.

little column about you? -- meet the decorator!

cakesbyamym Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 30

Great ideas, as always, Doug! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for your unique thoughts... thumbs_up.gif

Keep them coming folks...I'm all ears...

Have a blessed day,
Amy

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:29am
post #4 of 30

I'm all about what Doug suggested, especially taking goods to a charity. Nursing homes, special need homes and charity's will absolutely LOVE you for it. You may also ask about taking in small baked goods to a childrens ward in the hospital. Unfortunatly not all kids are home for the holidays or their own birthdays but celebrate it in the hospital. And not all kids have families that are there to spend time with them. A decorated cookie with coloring book and a pack of crayons would brighten there day. You could take a picture and post which hospital you visited and how many goodies you handed out.

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:36am
post #5 of 30

mkolmar, amazing idea!!! I have regularly donated to Habitat for Humanity and the local Susan G. Komen foundation through our local hospital. I have a big event that I'm doing for them in October, so a definite add on. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the children's ward idea!!! I'll be on the phone calling my local hospitals on Monday. I love the bd idea of a cookies, coloring book and crayons!!! Love it!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Amy

mkolmar Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:07am
post #6 of 30

No problem! I try to donate to different places frequently also, I never even thought about a news e-letter--that's such a great idea!

I hit the local dollar stores and stores where stuff is marked down and pick up all the items I need then. Puzzles, watercolors with paper, construction paper with scissors and glue sticks they would probably like too. Sometimes you can even find princess crowns and stuff like that. Older kids are more touch and go for items. I would think something like a drawing tablet, journal or books would be fine. If your hospital won't let you for some reason you could also do the same thing but with a womens shelter or a homeless shelter--there are kids at both of these places also.

What about a small baking class for some underprivalged kids? A box mix and some frosting would make them happy. They could then decorate their own goods and you could take some pictures of them for the newsletter also. (an extra pic for them too would be nice for them to remember the good time that they had)

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I'm all about what Doug suggested, especially taking goods to a charity. Nursing homes, special need homes and charity's will absolutely LOVE you for it. You may also ask about taking in small baked goods to a childrens ward in the hospital. Unfortunatly not all kids are home for the holidays or their own birthdays but celebrate it in the hospital. And not all kids have families that are there to spend time with them. A decorated cookie with coloring book and a pack of crayons would brighten there day. You could take a picture and post which hospital you visited and how many goodies you handed out.

Donating baked good to hospitals and nursing homes is tricky because most of the patients are under dietary restrictions

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 30

Amy,

I think this is a great idea. I've been playing with this myself but couldn't figure out what to include or how to make it look. Would you mind pming me a copy of one?

Thanks,
Kathi

mkolmar Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 30

eggshells is right, it can be tricky to donate to certain places. I donate to nursing homes and hospitals though without too much of a problem. I just label what's in items and place them on a sticker on the back of the cookie. Certain people can not get the treats, but if I know in advance I try to accomidate that.

If they don't allow you too--you do so many other charitable things already --You shouldn't have an issue with filling your newsletter thumbs_up.gif

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 30

I like all of Doug's ideas, especially the "at home" recipe, just a simple cookie recipe or something. And this might be too cheesy - but I always love reading stuff like this - what about a little "feel good" quote or story. Something inspiring to put a smile on someone's face and lift their spirit, even if for only a few minutes.

What if each month you do a "feature item" and for every one of those that someone orders - you donate 5% or $5 to a local charity. (pick a new charity each month). For example - All next month, for each order of triple chocolate cake, I will donate $5 to the Children's Shelter.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie1686

What if each month you do a "feature item" and for every one of those that someone orders - you donate 5% or $5 to a local charity. (pick a new charity each month). For example - All next month, for each order of triple chocolate cake, I will donate $5 to the Children's Shelter.

And then the next month, report on the total with a ".....thanks to all of you for helping to make this happen! The children appreciate your generousity." This makes it sound like it were your CUSTOMERS who did the charity instead of you (which they really did). Turns it into an "all about them" story, which people love reading!

I think you have an awesome marketing thing going with this!

How about a Helpful HInt of the month? Baking tips are best but dont' limit yourself. I wrote an employee-company cookbook for a few companies I worked at and used these tips for fillers. Things like if you poke holes in your bacon, it won't curl up when frying (I just run a knife thru the whole pack before I pull the slices out). Rinsing your hands in lemon juice will remove onion smell. You can find a lot of these in the backs of cookbooks.

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 30

I love the charity donation per month from that month's sales! I actively donate to the Amercian Cancer Society...free cakes, cookies, etc. It's an organization near and dear to my heart. I'm going to kick off August with a 5% donation from each order going to the Leukemia Society. (I lost my dad only a few weeks after his 40th bd to acute mylogenous leukemia.) August would've been his and mom's 40th anniversary, so that's perfect!!! Other organizations that I'm going to incorporate later on is The Lupus Foundation (I have SLE), and the Governor Morehead School for the Blind (my youngest was born legally blind.) This is fabulous!!!

The at-home recipe will be incorporated as well. I think that I'll call it...From Amy's Kitchen...That's kind of catchy. LOVE it!!!

Okay, I'm planning on sending out August's e-newsletter tomorrow, and if you'd like, I'll happily post it here for others. If for nothing else than an idea that you can run with to work for your business. Again, even in it's infancy, I've had loads of success with it.

Thanks so much everyone!!! Keep the ideas coming!! I think this is a beneficial marketing tool for each of us to expand on...

Have a blessed day,
Amy

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 30

thumbs_up.gif I would love to see your newsletter......and CC'er's....if you have never been in to see Amy's site......You need to visit! Her website and information are great! I have dropped by a couple of times.....and she is talented!

Thanks Amy for sharing with us....... icon_smile.gif

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 30

Amy, I don't have any suggestions for you, but I visited your website and WOW, I love all the information on there! That's great that you put down people's names for credit earned and names and dates of weddings. If I were looking for someone to do a cake for me, I would choose one that is obviously in demand! Good for you and I would love to see your newsletter.

Happy Day,
Steph

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 30

Double Post

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:23pm
post #16 of 30

What about copywrite issues with your Transformers, Ratatouille, and Harry Potter statement?

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Things like if you poke holes in your bacon, it won't curl up when frying (I just run a knife thru the whole pack before I pull the slices out).

I never heard of this one... but I usually bake my bacon and it ends up flat and perfect.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off-topic. Just found that interesting.

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:13pm
post #18 of 30

Oops...let me try again...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 30

another vote for seeing the newsletter (need to do some imitating -- make that flattering!)

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #20 of 30

I'll PM you a copy, Doug...

Amy

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:04pm
post #21 of 30

I too would love to see this Newsletter it seems like it'd be a great thing to have going icon_smile.gif

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:08pm
post #22 of 30

save

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:10pm
post #23 of 30

Here is a copy of one of my more recent newsletters.

Hello everyone...

Just a note to let you know that I have no spaces available for any additional orders for this week, July 23-28. I'm booked solid. However, next week is another story. I still have several openings available if you'd like to place orders for any upcoming special occasions. As always, the spaces come and go quickly, so please do let me know asap if there is anything at all that you need. icon_smile.gif Saturday, August 4th is set aside for the Owens-Hicks wedding, but I'll be happy to fill any needed orders for that day on Friday.

Harry Potter and Spiderman continue to be popular orders, and the princess and beach themes remain the most-requested.

I have a number of sample deliveries that I'll be bringing by this week to BB&T in Maiden and Maiden Florist. If YOUR office would like to try some of my delicious samples, by all means, let me know! I'll be happy to bring samples, business cards and brochures by for you and your co-workers!

Thanks so much for continuing to tell others about Cakes by Amy!!! I appreciate it more than you'll ever know!!!

Have a blessed week!
Amy

www.cakesbyamym.com

Mid-week e=mail...IF I'm ahead of schedule...ONLY IF...
Hi everyone,

I'm a little ahead of schedule with prep work for my week's orders, so I can squeeze in one (1) more order for this week...for Saturday, July 28th. No wiggle room at all for Friday. Please let me know if you need any last-minute cakes, cookies or cupcakes for Saturday only. Again, I have room for only one, so first come will have the opening.

Next weekend is beginning to fill up as well.

Thanks so much for allowing me to prepare cakes, cupcakes and cookies for your special occasions! It's an honor for me.

Have a blessed day,
Amy

www.cakesbyamym.com

PS: If you'd like to be removed from the mailing list, simply send me an e-mail and I'll remove you immediately. Thanks!

Have a blessed day,
Amy

cakemom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom24 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #24 of 30

This is a great idea. Would you mind PM me a copy?? I would love to see one.

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #25 of 30

This one was the week prior to July 4th...

Hello everyone!!!

July 4th is right around the corner!!! If you're planning BBQ's, pool parties, or something else, I have something just for you!!! From patriotic cookies and cookie cakes to red, white and blue mini and jumbo cupcakes to US flag-draped cakes, I have just what you need! I still have Monday, July 2nd and Tuesday, July 3rd open for orders, but as you know, they will fill quickly. I will not be open on Wednesday, July 4th, so do keep that in mind when thinking of what you'll be needing and when.

For those wanting more "specific themed" items...no worries. I have BBQ grill cakes (yes, they look like grills with hamburgers and hot dogs on them...all made from cake and icing, of course.) I have bbq grill cookies, too. How about a swimming pool or flip-flop themed cake or cookies? Also available are watermelon themed cakes and cookies. Last, but certainly not least, flag themed EVERYTHING!!!

Anyone needing birthday, anniversary or other special occasion items during the month of July, please contact me asap to secure your date. Again, dates book VERY quickly now (thanks to you all telling everyone about my cakes!), and without at least a 1-week notice (or more), I can't guarantee that I'll be able to fill your order(s). However, you can always call or e-mail, even if your date has been marked "BOOKED", because there is always the possibility of a cancellation or rescheduled order. I'll do my very best to accommodate you and your needs. Thanks!!!

Thanks again for your continued support and the referrals to your friends and family!!! I appreciate it so very much. Also, referral credits have again been updated and some of you have amassed quite a total to use on future purchases!!! Samantha at the Compounding Pharmacy in Hickory, is up to $40!!! Thanks so much!!!

Have a Happy and Safe 4th of July!!!
Amy

www.cakesbyamym.com

PS: As always, to be removed from this mailing list, just drop me an e-mail. Thanks!!!

cakemom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom24 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:15pm
post #26 of 30

This is a great idea. Would you mind PM me a copy?? I would love to see one.-oops. Never mind-posted before I read all the way through

countrycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:20pm
post #27 of 30

icon_biggrin.gif Amy, this is great! I can see where it can help your business....do you mind if I can 'borrow' a little of it.....I want to try this with what customers I have, and see if I can make the icing bag roll a little faster! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #28 of 30

Absolutely...if you can adapt to your own needs, do it. I've received so much help from everyone here on CC...it's nice to be able to contribute a little of my own ideas for a change. LOL.

Amy

countrycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:33pm
post #29 of 30

icon_smile.gif Thank you for your generous spirit....now to compile my ideas! icon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:58pm
post #30 of 30

Thank you for posting this! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%