How To Tint Frosting A Cream Color

Decorating By KellyKrocker Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 1:36am by steffy8

KellyKrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKrocker Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hey all ya'll cake divas,
I have a quick question about tinting frosting. I have someone that wants a vanilla buttercream frosted cake but instead of the bright white color, they want a soft cream. How do I achieve this?

Thank you for your help.

9 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 10

soft cream as in yellowish?? just use more butter than crisco in the recipe.. this is how I achieve a yellowish color...

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

I don't use crisco in my bc, just butter. I also use real vanilla extract. The combination gives it a nice natural color. You can also purchase ivory food coloring gel or powder - just use a very small amount until you get the color you're looking for. Good luck!

Bec

KellyKrocker Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 10

I make my frosting with all shortening, no butter. And I am looking for a taupe like cream vs. the yellow cream color.

It is a fall themed cake with fall flowers so they want the white to be toned down, not the stark white you get with shortening frosting.

Am I making sense?

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:30am
post #5 of 10

If you use pure vanilla extract (the brown stuff, not the clear stuff), it will tint your icing a nice soft ivory color. thumbs_up.gif

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 10

I say don't change the icing your used to just color it. I would use yellow and a hint of brown. Start off with less of both colors than you think you'll need then just keep adding, gradually until you get what your looking for.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 10

Try Americolor Ivory. I used it with white BC (I use the all-shortening recipe) on the Bishop cake in my gallery. It came out a nice cream color.

KellyKrocker Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you beachcakes!
That is just the color I am looking for!!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 10

Glad to be of help! icon_smile.gif

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:36am
post #10 of 10

I used 1/2 white crisco and 1/2 butter crisco. I've also used IVORY color paste (wilton)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%