Cookie Expert Where Do You Store Your Icing?

Baking By Rudith Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm by JenWith

Rudith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudith Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 12

I would like to put the cookie icing on the plastic botlte with different color icing on it to make easier when i need to do cookies just grab the bottle and iced the cookies and also how long should i keep in their Rudith

11 replies
yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 12

I keep my icing in tupperware containers. I like the idea of being able to store them in bottles, but if you are using a royal icing, it will separate and need to be remixed and that might be difficult to do with a bottle.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

I keep my icing in tupperware containers. I like the idea of being able to store them in bottles, but if you are using a royal icing, it will separate and need to be remixed and that might be difficult to do with a bottle.

Yep I tried to store them in the bottle for a few days and I ended up having to pour it out and remix it.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 12

I have the squeezit bottles (the type that you can use any tip on) and when i am done for the night (or the time being) I cut a sqaure of saran wrap and place that between the ring and the coupler and screw it on (kind of like a barrier) the icing separates very little..and if it does...i unscrew the cap and stir with a butter knife....works pretty well icon_smile.gif

HTH

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:06am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

Yep I tried to store them in the bottle for a few days and I ended up having to pour it out and remix it.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Same thing happened to me. I was watching Bobby Flay's tv show (I can't remember the name and it's about him competing with a person anywhere in USA) and he was competing with a bartender on best cocktail drink. I saw them using a mini hand mixer and I thought, geez!, that would be a great tool for us to use to mix icing in a bottle! The mixer is very tiny and I wonder if that would work?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergina

I was watching Bobby Flay's tv show... I saw them using a mini hand mixer...

Intrigued, I looked for a mini mixer. Did it look like one of these? I guess if it's flood icing it might work. I'm not sure how powerful it'd be, though. For $10 or less, might be worth a try.

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-5210/2-55586/SC-FROOGLE/bb/Cordless%20Mini%20Mixer.htm

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-5210/2-55544/3-1/bb/froth_master,battery-operated_blender_whips_up_foam_fast.htm?

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 12

I use small glass bowls with air tight lids.SO the icing won't separate

boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 12

How should i store my royal icing? Should I refrigerate it or place in an airtight container on the counter. I have 60 apple cookies to do for a school function and will be making cookies for the next two days.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 12

Royal Icing: Airtight container. NOT fridge.

boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks and how long will it be good for?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bouncin4Bonjovi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bouncin4Bonjovi Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyB

Royal Icing: Airtight container. NOT fridge.

I thought it IS suppose to be kept in the refridgerator. I am so confused. icon_confused.gif

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 12

I just keep mine in an airtight container on my "baking" shelf in the pantry and re-mix if needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%