Can I Freeze Iced Cookies?

Decorating By Newbie Updated 9 Jul 2005 , 6:21pm by Misska21

Newbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbie Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 10

My first decorated cookies. I'm so pressed for time I couldn't make everything closer to the weekend when I need them. They are a gift I will take with me on the plane to my brother's wedding next Saturday.

The plain cookies have been flat iced with royal. Once it sets I was planning to freeze the cookies, then decorate later in the week.

I know freezing royal can be a problem - think this will work for me? I'm hoping it will be ok because it's only the flat icing, not the decorations that I will freeze.

9 replies
littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 10

every time i read a recipe it always says that you shouldnt ice and freeze ..

Newbie Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 10

I agree! The reason I asked is the Wilton "Ice-A-Cookie" packaging actually says you SHOULD freeze, in order to retain the color and satin texture. Big surprise, because it seems that Ice-A-Cookie is the same as royal icing?

Has anyone tried freezing the flat iced, undecorated cookies?

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 2:08am
post #4 of 10

It's only a week away...I say don't bother freezing. They will be fresh enough!

I wouldn't ever freeze an iced cookie...the biggest enemy is moisture!

Newbie Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks to all for your advice - picture posted in the cookie gallery today!

mama2Ben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2Ben Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 10

Those truned out so great! Did you use the Ice-a-Cookie? I've been curious as to how that would turn out.

I'm sure you're brother will love them.

jenn

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 10

I freeze royal iced cookies all the time. When they thaw, you have to allow for a bit of condesation, but it will dry quickly, once the cookie is room temp.
It think a fresh baked frozen cookie tastes much better than one that has been sitting around. Also, some cookies will draw moisture from the royal and the texture will change-not always bad, but something to consider.

JoAnn

Newbie Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 1:13am
post #8 of 10

Thanks Ladies. I did freeze these, based on the Ice-A-Cookie instructions, and everything was fine. The condensation made me nervous at first but it dried nicely. The cookie is a little softer than I might like but since this was a new recipe ("no fail sugar cookies" from the Kitchen Gifts website) I don't know what the consistency would have been otherwise. (They are DELICIOUS I can tell you that!)

I let the Ice-A-Cookie dry overnight, then decorated with homemade royal icing and lots of little royal icing drop flowers that I had made in 3 shades of lavendar. The Ice-A-Cookie was easy to use, and nice and shiny. The directions say to put the tube in warm water for 6 minutes - I found HOT water for longer worked better, and I kept the tube upright in a glass of hot water whenever I put it down. Otherwise it was too thick and left "lines."

Thanks again to this terrific website and the community of decorators that gave me ideas, inspiration and confidence.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 10

Newbie- those are sooo pretty.... your cookies made me miss a former CC member whose username was cookieman; he was awesome inspiration for cookies- his specialty..I miss him icon_cry.gif
I think he would definetly give you a thumbs up on those cookies!

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 10

They turned out beautiful! Great job!!

Jess

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%