"long Living" Fondant Mats?

Decorating By Jazz2U Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 9:40am by cupcake

Jazz2U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazz2U Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:20am
post #1 of 11

I have gone through 3 Wilton fondant mats in a year and I don't make that many cakes. Does anyone have a longer living one that they use? How are the silicone?

10 replies
MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 11

I love my giant silicone mat. I bought a 36x23" RoulPat just for fondant and it's great. I don't need shortening or powdered sugar to roll it out, and I even used cookie cutters to cut fondant shapes and they didn't mar the surface at all. The only downside is the mat is HEAVY, so it's a bit unwieldy to flip the fondant over the cake, but with a bit of exercise, I'll manage.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 11

Plastic fabric from the fabric store is wonderful. cheap and easy to replace. You could if you needed mark on the back side with permanent markers for measures. I just keep a clear plastic ruler on my backsplash.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 11

I have had my Roulpat for 7 years, not a tear or mark on it. I have had my Silpat mat that fits inside my cookie sheet for over 10 years, it is finally beginning to show wear and brown stains from baking with it. Time to replace it. I love both of them and would highly recommend. They are pricey, but if you have gone through 3 Wilton mats in a short amount of time you could have bought an original Roulpat and still be using it.

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:24am
post #5 of 11

I use a Roulpat for the small things and the plastic tablecloth sheeting from Joann's for large layers.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:28am
post #6 of 11

Mine measures 24 1/2"X16 1/2" so I can use it for nearly all cakes, I do wish they made one a bit wider for the larger cake layers.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 11

Is a roulpat the same as a silpat? I have a silpat...Is it bad that I just use my Corian countertop? icon_smile.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:52am
post #8 of 11

I use a piece of vinyl for the large pieces (about $3 a yard at Walmart). I also use a Silpat for smaller work as well as a Creative Memories self-healing cutting mat. I like the CM mat (made for scrapbooking) b/c I can use an xacto knife on it w/o damaging the surface. Plus it is non-stick so I don't need any cornstarch or crisco when I'm working with fondant decorations.

Bec

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:04am
post #9 of 11

Ok I use my silpats for lining my sheet pans when baking only and have never used them to roll out fondant but I don't see why you couldn't.

I just purchased a new roulpat fondant mat (because the one that comes with the sale of the biz is falling apart due to being very very old) that one is 24.5 x 16.5 and I got it at http://www.chefsresource.com/silpat-roulpat-liner.html

I reallized I could have probally gotten it cheaper else where but I just wanted to buy it and be done with it.

I did find a larger mat made by ateco that is 24 x 36 that I may get just to have a larger one on hand. That one can be found here http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21647&substring=ateco

I know from first hand that the roulpats are very long lasting, but do not have much experience with ateco. HTH

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 4:17am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Is a roulpat the same as a silpat? I have a silpat...Is it bad that I just use my Corian countertop? icon_smile.gif

Well not really a silpat can be placed in the oven, used sort of in the same fashion as someone would use parchment paper to line their sheet pans, but can also be used for fondant work. A roulpat is just for fondant, or gumpaste and the like, as far as I know. If the counter works for you then I would have to say no it's not bad thumbs_up.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:40am
post #11 of 11

I have 2 Roul Pats and I love them, they are the full sheet size. I have used them alot and have never had anything stick. They might be a little expensive, but they are worth it. They wash well, and are very sturdy. I never use any powdered sugar or cornstarch on them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%