Why Don't You Freeze Fondant

Decorating By tcrema Updated 4 Jul 2005 , 6:38am by tcturtleshell

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 7

Ok I'm doing this project for a friend of mine who does Magic Shows for kids. She has ordered miniture cakes from me and wanted to know about me doing the MMF on them. I said that was fine but I can't freeze them and you cant either. So what does she do but ask me the question of WHY? What will happen to her so I go totally blank and told her I don't know you just can't it's the rules. So can you please tell me what will happen if I put a fondant covered mini cake in the freezer and then take them out for a party?

6 replies
LemonLyme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LemonLyme Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there .. for me.. when i put my fondant cut flowers on a cake and stuck it in the fridge the fondant melted.
it got so soft that it practically melted off the cake. I never tried it in the freezer because after what i saw the fridge do i was scared to freeze.
But i'm sure someone else on this site can eplain more about it to you. I have switched to gumpaste for more durability fondant is fun don't get me wrong but in the fridge i did notice it melted and nothing else was in the fridge next to the cake which i let just sit in the fridge for a day.
but that was my experiment.

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

Ok I will try to explain: sugar will absorb the water (I think the word is hydrophil = water freindly???).
That means: sugar molecules will fusion with water molecules, as soon as there are some near. This happens,<for example, when you put sugar in water. When you give heat to the mixture, this process will happen quicker (for example tea or coffee).
So if you put fondant in a fridge or freezer the same happens: the sugar in the fondant will melt through the water molecules in the air. If you put it in the freezer, this will happen, I think so, when it starts to defrost.

I hope you can understand my explaining, but to do this in english is really hard icon_redface.gif

tcrema Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 7

Ok I will try and explain this to her. Thank you so much I realy appreciate your help

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 7

That seemed like a good explanation to me! I didn't even put mine in the refrigerator, I just covered it overnight and it absorbed moisture from the apricot glaze that I had put on to hold the fondant (bad choice), and the mmf got so soft it just sagged all over the place. Janice

tcrema Posted 3 Jul 2005 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 7

Oh my Goodness that is terrible! It just seems so strange how things like that happen. I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. But now I have to post another question so look for it a please help you guys!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 Jul 2005 , 6:38am
post #7 of 7

Lil' Sis... Just tell her I said it can't be done! LOL!!!

I do freeze fondant BUT it's just rolled up in a ball in a freezer bag. I have never frozen roses or a cake w/ fondant deco's on it. I did put a cake w/ fondant roses in the icebox once. It stayed fine until the next day. When I got it out the fondant flowers were soft. It's like when you color a BC rose a darker color. It starts to run onto the cake if the cake is in the icebox. Same thing. Sugar gets too soft & it starts to melt.

So still to freezing big chunks of fondant but not deco.

Where are my pics??????? Love ya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%