My First Buttercream Disaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By stacyyarger Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 3:33am by stacyyarger

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 20

I love to make Buttercream Icing!!! For some reason it is not working very well I'm not sure if it's the New Crisco or not but it wouldn't crust for me.I kept having to put it in the frezzer to harder and then when I used the paper towel method it would stick and tear the icing off.Wow was it ever a mess.Any suggestions or maybe a recipe that is working for everyone else. I have been using the same BC for over a year now.I've never had any trouble til now.I just don't get what went wrong.

Any Help I would so Thankful!!!!
Stacy

19 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 20

I've heard that the new crisco is causing a lot of problems. Try a different brand of shortening...in some other posts, I have heard that someone used the walmart brand with great results. The new crisco has gone to 0% trans fat or something like that, so I think it is really inventing some buttercream disasters. Hope this helps...

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 20

If you have a Wal-mart nearby try their vegetable shorteniing. I used the new Crisco & my icing was gross. I don't like icing, so I should say grosser than normal. The Wal-mart kind still has transfats in it.

statecollegecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
statecollegecakemom Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 20

I'm glad you made this post. I did not even know there was a new Crisco. I just bought some last week. It is still the original type. I will have to watch out for this in the future.

stacyyarger Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks Everyone.

statecollagecakemom, I knew that the crisco was new so just be careful and I hope that your luck is better then mine.

Thanks Again,
Stacy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #7 of 20

I'm one that has zero problems. In the links/threads posted above, there is info on using milk instead of water with new crisco. Since I've used milk for 25 years, I think this is why I never noticed a difference. Mine still crusts fine, too.

vhannah53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vhannah53 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:12am
post #8 of 20

I also have not had any problems with the new Crisco, then again, I use Milk & not water.... Could the solution be that simple? thumbs_up.gif
For the most part, I would like to know where I could get a hi ratio shortening locally.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:13am
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollegecakemom

I'm glad you made this post. I did not even know there was a new Crisco. I just bought some last week. It is still the original type. I will have to watch out for this in the future.

Even if you don't have the big green ad on it about the 0 trans fat, check the back of the can. It was 0 TF for a while, before they put it on the can. I've been trying all kinds of recipes & I think I've found one that works. As indydebi said, the milk sometimes solves the problem. However, it didn't work all the time for me. I am now using this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4123-High-Humidity-Buttercream.html (I left out the orange/lemon flav. & used white choc/raspberry creamer for 1/2 of the milk called for - OMG!!!!! So good!

OR this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

HTH!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Ladybug21587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug21587 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #10 of 20

Here is the new butter cream recipe from Wilton.
Hope that helps
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:58am
post #11 of 20

vhannah53, since your location isn't posted it's hard to direct you to a local retailer.

But you can order either Alpine or Sweetex from the baker's kitchen with very reasonable shipping:

http://tinyurl.com/3dmvgj

CK brand hi-ratio shortening:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=532&SubCatId=1069

CK brand hi-ratio compares favorably with Sweetex & Alpine:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-311513-.html

HTH

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:12am
post #12 of 20

I used the version that was the same as I normally use, but adding corn starch. Worked great. Veeeeery easy to smooth and didn't pull great gaping holes when I worked with it. I will continue to use this since I really think being able to say "my wedding cakes have no trans fats" is kinda nice.

Ladybug21587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug21587 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 20

Delightsbye
How much corn starch did you add to the buttercream recipe?

Thanks

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 20

The recipe I use is:
2sticks butter
1 cup crisco
2 tsp flavoring of choice
2 lbs 10x
1 T meringue powder
2 T cornstarch (sifted into the 10x)
enough water for desired consistency

works like a dream!

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 20

Yesterday, I purchase a large tub of the walmart brand shortening and for the first time (even considering the old Crisco) - my icing was SO SMOOTH! I made a double batch, which is normal for me and changed nothing else - always use store brand butter, creamer and sugar. Crisco was the only thing I never waivered on b/c of the sticks. Well, that's over! I'll get used to measuring from the tub.

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 20

I had the same problem on a groom's cake last March,
then I switched to Wal-Mart's brand of All Vegetable shortening with 2.5 grams of transfats and WHALAAAA!!! My BC has crusted like the old days with the good Crisco! It has worked great ever since.
so, try Wal-Marts brand.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:37am
post #17 of 20

I am also one who hasn't had any problems with the new crisco. I use milk too. The only thing I have changed is I used to use 5 tablespoons of milk and now I use 4 and it crusts great!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:57am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhannah53

I also have not had any problems with the new Crisco, then again, I use Milk & not water.... Could the solution be that simple? thumbs_up.gif
For the most part, I would like to know where I could get a hi ratio shortening locally.

I also have only used milk in my buttercream, and have noticed only minor differences (not really problems) with the new crisco. I have to add an extra tablespoon of milk, my buttercream seems to mix up with more air bubbles (easily remedied by stirring with my spatula after mixing), but it still crusts perfectly!

ErinOBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinOBrien Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 3:03am
post #19 of 20

I am in NY, I picked up a thing of Wegman's brand shortening... Still has the trans fat. Who knows for how long it will stay that way though

stacyyarger Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:33am
post #20 of 20

Thanks Everyone!!! I wouldn't know what I would do without you guys!!!!

Thanks Again,
Stacy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%