Alright, Because I'm So Fed Up.............

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 23 Sep 2006 , 3:14am by justme

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:40am
post #1 of 35

of having to frequently defend my prices to customers, I created this page for my website (with help from Briansbaker for which I'm very grateful!). Please take a read and tell me what you think - thanks thumbs_up.gif

http://www.freewebs.com/queeniescakes/pricing.htm

34 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:51am
post #2 of 35

I like all the detail you put into explaining your products. You might consider shrinking the size of the text and the photos, then putting more photos in, as I think the customers would like to see more selections of your work.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:58am
post #3 of 35

Thanks - although slight problem in that all the photos of every cake I've ever made that I have pictures of are already on the website!. When I created the website and asked for CC members opinions, I was recommended to increase the font size as it was too small, so I did! I suppose it depends on the size of your screen, I have only a 15in monitior, so thay always look OK to me, I expect they must look bigger on a bigger monitor?

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 10:59am
post #4 of 35

BRAVO! Well said!!! People do not understand that not all cakes are created equal. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lou54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou54 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 11:22am
post #5 of 35

Like it great job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 35

Great description, informative!! Well done!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 35

Can I quote you?

cakesbyjackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjackie Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 35

Looks great, very informative.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 35

enquiry is spelled inquiry
realise is spelled realize

...but then I see you spell color with a u like colour...your not in the states? So maybe those aren't spelled wrong there.

Sounds like you have made your point!
icon_wink.gif

I really like the little 'fort' cake...the one with the totem pole. What did ya make the forts out of? Sure looks cool!!!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 35

Bravo!

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 35

It's good but quite lengthy...maybe shorten it a bit (exclude unnecessary comments) so that people will finish reading it.

ablksapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ablksapphire Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 35

Your website looks great and is very detailed and informative. thumbs_up.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 35

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OK, I'm British, and I assure you that the way I have spelt the words pointed out are the correct English spellings icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif ! The fort cake was just a 10in square cut up and stacked to make the shape - very simple, but effective! Thanks for all your comments thumbs_up.gif . If I get anymore moaning about my prices, I will make sure that they read that page!

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 35

Bonjovibabe, the font does look quite large (I have a 17" monitor) to me, I would go for size 13/14 font, but well done on your detailed (if a little exasperated) explanation! I like it. Too many people want good quality for cheap and it doesn't work that way.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 35

It's size '4', I don't know what that equates to? On my screen it's quite small, and I do struggle to read it sometimes (even though I wear glasses!). I think 15in monitors are the most used here (things are just too expensive for people to afford bigger screens!).

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:51pm
post #16 of 35

WOW! EXCELLENT! I especially like the motto ("Good cakes aren't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good"). Worthy of putting on a t-shirt, apron, hat...............

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:57pm
post #17 of 35

Size '4' equates to font size 16 - 18, if I remember my CSS properly. Try size 2 and see wot happens.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:58pm
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

"Good cakes aren't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good"). Worthy of putting on a t-shirt, apron, hat...............

That piece of genius comes from Briansbaker, and I couldn't agree more with her thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:15pm
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemia

It's good but quite lengthy...maybe shorten it a bit (exclude unnecessary comments) so that people will finish reading it.

I agree. I quit reading after finishing the first paragraph under "Bakery cakes VS Custom-made Cake Decorators cake".

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:16pm
post #20 of 35

i would probably shorten it.... after awhile i quit reading it and just kind of glanced over it... it seemed almost like you were going on a rampage and if i was a first time customer i would kind of get scared about how your prices are.... maybe it just me, but thats how i felt.. i know that you hate it when people are always bugging you about why your cakes are so high and thats why you have it... but i would probably put the first paragraph and then the motto at the bottom.. i think most people would get the hint- that is you want quality, you will have to pay. jmho

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 35

Bravo on your accomplishments and great reputation!

My personal likes:

Love the pics of the variety of cookies and detail
The kids cakes, very cute...fort is really fun and different!
Guestbook is really fab and a great marketing tool!!!!!
Website background color very nice and the embelishments

Things I'd recommend for consideration

I think less is more and have that stick with client.
I know I read alot at work and when it's really wordy I just say "too many words!".....and I cut till I get to the point. Even with this I had a Doctor look at a guide yesterday and he said "too many words!" and we laughed.
Human nature I think we want to get the concept quick and are too lazy to get into the details I think....
that being said....(and tooooo long!) I'd suggest cutting words to maybe even...

"Simply the Best" or
"Simply the Best Money Can Buy!"

Have alot of pictures.... crop the backgrounds out so you don't get distracted with hands or tablecloths in varied colors.
Way more pictures of wedding cakes and different styles in fondant, ganache, stacked, tiered.....add your wedding related small cakes and definitely the wedding cookies....into the wedding section as a repeat from their other sections.

I'd reduced the size of the pictures by quite a bit and the font and have volume in #'s of pic's with maybe the same simple 1 color background in the croped photos. Maybe a starting price ____ per serving and let them contact you for the details and closing of the deal!

I'd remove the little character emoticons and the music that plays in the background.... better for CC site....I'd hold off on the dates available posting until I was 1/2 booked for the year.

You've got the product and many talents!!!!

Just a few ideas for an already great web.

Mary Jane

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:29pm
post #22 of 35

Rampage - yeah, that was kind of how I was feeling when I wrote it (after losing my temper with a repeat customer who questioned for about the third time my prices!). Briansbaker pointed me in the direction of her site where she uses a similar text (although I did change it a bit to fit my location etc!) - it basically explained everything I wanted to say! There are few ladies here who are helping me shorten it whilst still getting the message across. When it's done, I'll add a note to this post! I just never want to be made to feel as upset and defensive about my prices again (which are completely justifiable!), and lose my temper with another customer (so not like me icon_redface.gif !). I have changed the font to size '3', it was far too small on a 15in monitor in size '2'!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:37pm
post #23 of 35

This is such an awesome group..... here to support each other!

Have a great weekend...

Mary Jane
Southern California

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 35

i can definitely relate to the pricing issue, very frustrating when a customer thinks $2 per serving is too much. however, i agree that you need to shorten the wording, actually, i would just eliminate the whole thing. i'm not crazy about all the exclamation points and description of what other bakeries do, doesn't sound professional.

if a customer wants to go elsewhere if they think you're too expensive, then so be it but i don't think giving them a "lecture" is gonna win them over, ya know? let your cakes do that for you. icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 3:53pm
post #25 of 35

OK, that page has been reduced quite considerably now! I know I need to get my pictures to a uniform size, I'm going to work on that this weekend. As for adding wedding pictures - I can't, I've only done 4 weddings!!! Thanks for all your input icon_smile.gif (special thanks to Bohemia thumbs_up.gif ).

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:44pm
post #26 of 35

I love your website, and your explanation of prices, but this line just doesn't seem to fit in:

"We can assure you that the price you're quoted is always the cheapest price we can afford to create your cake for."

I don't like the use of the word "cheapest" in reference to your cake, especially when the next line says that cheap cakes aren't good!

Maybe instead of that, say something like this:

"We can assure you that your cake will be of the finest quality, and custom made just for you. We know you can find a less expensive cake, but remember this simple motto: 'Good cakes aren't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good'."

I don't know if that really says it either, but may give you something to play with . . .

hth!
Laura.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #27 of 35

Hmmm, no, you're right! I'm working on my website now (changing picture sizes etc - I'll change it - thank you!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:51pm
post #28 of 35

Just found the word "cheapest" again on your cookie page. icon_surprised.gif

You might want to rephrase it to say that the least expensive cookie will be free in your explanation of the "6 for the price of 5" offer.

I think the choice of words you use is very important in creating an image in the minds of your clients (and potential clients, in which case your website will be their first exposure to your business and an indication of the quality you offer), and IMO "cheap" is a harsh word, which you don't want associated with your cakes and cookies, or any aspect of your business.

Laura.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #29 of 35

Honestly, I would take out this part....

Bakery cakes Vs Custom-made Cake Decorators cake

Firstly, please don't compare our prices to that of a cheaply made, sub-standard, mass produced, impersonal bakery cake, because that's NOT what you'll be getting from us. One thing you may not realise is that most bakery cakes come in the door frozen ready-made and the icing also comes pre-made in a huge tub. We bake and make everything from scratch with fresh, high quality ingredients. The independant cake decorator will spend hours on each cake order from conception to completion. Bakery decorated cakes are all about quantity production, quality is often unimportant. You are unlikely to ever meet the bakery decorator, and they probably don't care whether you are happy or not with the end result - to us, on the other hand, this is of utmost importance.

I think it sounds harsh, and may scare customers away...especially people who are looking and have never ordered from you. Personally, I would think...This lady has an attitude or a big head, and I'm afraid to even call! If someone asks about your prices, you can tell them you use quality ingredients, and bake only from scratch and have unique designs. If they think you're too expensive, they're going to go elsewhere to get a less expensive cake no matter what your explanantion.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:19pm
post #30 of 35

OK, taking into account all the comments, I think I have the final version done. Fairly short, to the point, but I hope with enough explanation to explain whyI charge what I do and keep most of the unappreciative cheapskates away icon_rolleyes.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%