The White Cake That Wasn't....any Ideas?

Decorating By tobycat Updated 28 Jul 2007 , 1:31am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 8

I do not like the consistency of a white cake made with egg whites along, so I use the whole egg, but that causes yellowing of the batter. I've tried adding some violet to the batter, and it helps somewhat. But, the cake definitely isn't a snow white cake either.

Any ideas how to get that snow white cake with the whole-egg consistency?

I also use milk instead of water and a box of pudding.

TIA - S.

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know ... seems to me if you add "color" to white then it's going to look like it has "color" in it. icon_confused.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 8

Did you use the white almond sour cream cake recipe? I am surprised if you did, because I love it!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 8

What kind of pudding did you use? Vanilla pudding will give your cake a yellow tint also. Try using white chocolate pudding for less of a yellow color.

darkchocolate

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate

What kind of pudding did you use? Vanilla pudding will give your cake a yellow tint also. Try using white chocolate pudding for less of a yellow color.

darkchocolate

I was going to say the same thing, the vanilla pudding will definitely give color to the batter. I also don't like the consistency of using the egg whites, so I add half and half to the WASC recipe-so 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites and it doesn't effect the color, and makes the consistency much better. HTH!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 8

You could also try experimenting with the amount of yolk you use. I don't think that you will be able to get "snow white" using yolks but maybe if you decrease the yolks slightly and keep using the violet it will help get you closer.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

My yellow cake recipe comes out fairly pale, I call it a yellow cake because it's not pure white. I use shortening instead of butter and the whole egg.

It's not the best picture but it gives you an idea (I had added some banana flavoring and it made it more yellow):
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=572303

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:31am
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone -- I'll try the white chocolate pudding next time. Haven't seen it, but then haven't looked. I've tried the WASC, but I think the whole eggs will still cause the same problem. Maybe I'll play around with the yolks -- half and half.

Great ideas from great people! Thank you!

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%