Making Cloud Decoration Out Of Buttercream

Decorating By Christy1911 Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 3:36am by DeniseNH

Christy1911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy1911 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 18

I made some MMF clouds and don't like the way they turned out - they have a yellow tint I think and dont really look like clouds. Is there a tip to pipe clouds onto a cake? Thanks for suggestions

17 replies
MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 18

The yellow tint might have come from your vanilla. Did you flavor your MMF?

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 18

You can make buttercream clouds using tip 12 or larger. It's the large round tip and you learn how to make clouds in Wilton Course 1 if you've taken it already. Very easy to do, just pipe a mound and kind of let the icing build up around itself and then pull the tip out. I would recommend the side swipe so that you don't have a peak on the cloud, unless you want a peak on the cloud!

HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 18

I have done buttercream clouds on a white background in blue. But, you could do white clouds on blue. All I did is piped some half circles and used a small paint brush to give them a brushed affect. I have attached the picture.
LL

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 18

Awww.... I love that cake! And the clouds came out really cool. That's going in my favorites right now!

Amber

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 18

I did an airplane cake (see my photos) and it had clouds. I just took a tip 5 and squeezed hard. I let the icing billow up and as I moved the tip along. Very easy to do.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 18

I used tip 10 for the clouds for the Angel baby shower cake in my pics.

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:13am
post #8 of 18

For clouds, I remove the tip from an icing bag containing white bc (just leaving the coupler inside) and squeeze the clouds out with a motion similar to Joanne. I also make balloons this way.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 18

I think I used tip 12 and just squiggled (technical term there icon_lol.gif ) the white bc out in a shape I wanted. You can see it on the cloud cake on the first page of my gallery www.cakegeek.com

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 18

I'll have to try clouds with just the coupler. My clouds have not been noteworthy up to this point. Maybe that will help.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 18

Violet cancels yellow...take a little out and add JUST A TAD of violet to your buttercream. mix it well. It will whiten a lot.
There was a thread on this a little earlier. I tried it, worked great!
Whoops! Sorry I didn't take in it was MMF. Ignore me, I had a bad night...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 18

I used tip 12 on mine. I just sort of "puffed" little mounds. it was easy.
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 18

Merissa, that is the cutest cake, and the clouds are great.

gourmetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetcakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 18

Merissa, that is so adorable. You are very talented. Those look like FBCT! Very nice.....can't wait to do those myself sometime!

I just realized that I have done clouds like that too on my care bear cake....they are so fluffy!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetcakes

Merissa, that is so adorable. You are very talented. Those look like FBCT! Very nice.....can't wait to do those myself sometime!

I just realized that I have done clouds like that too on my care bear cake....they are so fluffy!

Thanks, actually they are chocolate transfers! your cake is great as well!

JeniDS1998 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeniDS1998 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:45am
post #16 of 18

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3251090/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is my cream cheese icing au natural (used Wilton's recipe).

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3251091/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Here is the same icing after I added about 3/4 a dip of toothpick in Wilton Violet gel color. It's pretty much as white as it can get without adding "White" gel color. I'm going to make clouds tomorrow. Wish me luck!!! :)

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 1:06am
post #17 of 18

A

Original message sent by springlakecake

I used tip 12 on mine. I just sort of "puffed" little mounds. it was easy. [URL=http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/d/d9/d94e795f_pooh_cake_008_177.jpeg]LL [/URL]

That's really cute. Nice job!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 3:36am
post #18 of 18

I've done clouds by placing a blob of icing on the end of a butter knife and applying that way.  There's really no way you can mess up a cloud because no two clouds are the same.  So just have fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%