Pa/nj/ny Support Group?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 1:29am by Mommaskip

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 95

I have been thinking, I wish I knew more decorators in the PA/NJ/NY area for referrals or even backup! Sometimes I have someone call me from NY or north Jersey, etc who wants a party cake but its not cost effective for them to pay delivery, and they always ask me if I know any other decorators closer to their home. Sometimes I direct them to this forum but I don't know if that's the best choice, I just wish I knew who decorates in those areas and their websites.

Also I was thinking it would be neat to have a local ring of people as backup...for instance I have a huge cake this weekend and I was thinking "Boy if I go into labor, I would wish I had someone to finish this up for me!" Of course my customer knows that's a possibility and is prepared to get a refund just in case... and I usually don't go into labor early anyway so it should be fine... but all the same, stuff comes up, you get sick, etc, and it'd be nice to have a backup or two.

Anyone know if anything like this exists or have any ideas?

94 replies
moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 95

Kitagirl - hi, I live in Central New Jersey and would love to get to know other cake decorators around me - for support, advise and even to serve as back up - like you said in case we each need some help.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 95

I'm also from Central NJ. Would love to know other decorators around.
I can't serve as back up, as i'm not 100% confident of my work to go out there and sell. But i'm here to help otherwise.

CreatedByMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreatedByMe Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 95

I'm in North jersey (on the Rockland Co. NY border)
Nice to "meet" others from the area!
tara

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 95

i'm from reading pennsylvania and would love to get to know others cake decorators around me. i put in the spanish forum looking for people around my areas and some people respong yesterday a found that person live two miles from me at she give me her phone for call her.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:47am
post #6 of 95

I can't do any back-up cakes but I can be here for support. I'm in Phoenixville, not that far from evieg!

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #7 of 95

I'm in Dutchess County New York. Would love to start a support group...

pattycakes1326 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes1326 Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:23am
post #8 of 95

I'm in Rockaland county, not far at all from northern NJ. Would love to be part of the network and help out if I can.

CreatedByMe what town are you in? We're probably pretty close!

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:28am
post #9 of 95

i'm in parlin, nj. that's part of sayreville near old birdge/east brunswick/south river. i am just a home baker but i would love to have some cake decorater buddies around me. we should have a get together some time. i read about the Puerto rican chickies having a big thing down there. we should do something like that here.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:44am
post #10 of 95

I'm down in South Jersey, Cape May County... I'm always wondering if there are more cake decorators down here who visit the boards : )

CoreyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoreyV Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:51am
post #11 of 95

Monmouth county here and I would love a meet up/ support group definitely keep me posted

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:52am
post #12 of 95

Yep, I'm here too! I'm not "legal" or anything, but if I can ever be of assistance you (general you) can always ask. I can't promise that I can jump in and help with my nearly 2 year old who has recently discovered "THE TERRIBLES", but maybe I can lend some support.

I'm sort of on the border of North/Central NJ.

Sandra80 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:54am
post #13 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by valora387

I'm down in South Jersey, Cape May County... I'm always wondering if there are more cake decorators down here who visit the boards : )

oh god i'm in a mom's group on myspace that is filled with people from there that keep asking me for prices on cakes but then don't want to pay for me to drive down to bring it to them or come up to pick it up from me. do tell me, is gas free in south jersey and i just don't know about it? silly mommys! if i ever do get one that is really interested would you like me to send them your way?

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:55am
post #14 of 95

Hi!

I have friends in PA and Central Jersey who I can stay with if I go visit you guys icon_biggrin.gif

I on the other hand am in Brooklyn, NY. and I am not even close to being confident enough to finish up someone else's work. I will be soon though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Networking is a really cool idea

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:12am
post #15 of 95

"oh god i'm in a mom's group on myspace that is filled with people from there that keep asking me for prices on cakes but then don't want to pay for me to drive down to bring it to them or come up to pick it up from me. do tell me, is gas free in south jersey and i just don't know about it? silly mommys! if i ever do get one that is really interested would you like me to send them your way?"

Oh, yeah, we just go up and smile and gas attendants and not only do we get free gas, they have to pump it for us, lol.
People are so silly sometimes, aren't they???
Which mom group are you in?

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:13am
post #16 of 95

I wanna play but I live in Pittsburgh (the smallest big city you've ever seen) icon_sad.gif I was looking for the same thing in this area. Everyone that I know who does cake does it for fun.... they don't take orders. Good luck to you guys!

Sandra80 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:32am
post #17 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by valora387

"oh god i'm in a mom's group on myspace that is filled with people from there that keep asking me for prices on cakes but then don't want to pay for me to drive down to bring it to them or come up to pick it up from me. do tell me, is gas free in south jersey and i just don't know about it? silly mommys! if i ever do get one that is really interested would you like me to send them your way?"

Oh, yeah, we just go up and smile and gas attendants and not only do we get free gas, they have to pump it for us, lol.
People are so silly sometimes, aren't they???
Which mom group are you in?

oh i'm in like 10 of them and almost every mom in the groups that is from NJ is from south jersey. oh if you want a laugh, i had one that wanted me to do the nick jr cake i did (see pics) but with all dora characters and only wanted to pay me $30 and wanted me to deliver it for free because of course she was inviting me to the party. first thought was, "gee i get to buy all these cake ingredients and decorating things and only get paid $30 which won't cover supplies and then i have to buy her kid a gift and go to a party for someone i've never met? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!" but there was a woman who wanted a wedding cake for 200 that i had to turn down because it was just too far for me and i was afraid to travel that far with cake, especially that much cake.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamas

Hi!

I have friends in PA and Central Jersey who I can stay with if I go visit you guys icon_biggrin.gif

I on the other hand am in Brooklyn, NY. and I am not even close to being confident enough to finish up someone else's work. I will be soon though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Networking is a really cool idea

You would be very handy, I get several requests from NYC but that's just too far for someone to drive usually or for me to deliver (charge is too high) that far.

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 95

I am in Short Hills, Essex County, NJ

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #20 of 95

I am in Central Pa...right near Lancaster. I love to meet new decorators to share ideas with and have support! I too get a lot of calls and inquiries for NY, MD, DE or even Philly and Quakertown, PA etc...I am not really interested in doing business outside an hour at most from me! We should put together a list of phone numbers, websites, etc so we can all refer out! Thanks for thinking of a great idea!!!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #21 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

I wanna play but I live in Pittsburgh (the smallest big city you've ever seen) icon_sad.gif I was looking for the same thing in this area. Everyone that I know who does cake does it for fun.... they don't take orders. Good luck to you guys!

I am about an hour north of Pittsburgh! Right above Kittanning. I am actually traveling to Pittsburgh tonight (was there yesterday too!) for the Steeler game! GO STEELERS!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

ladefly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladefly Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #22 of 95

I'm not legal or anything,,,but willing to help !!!!
I live in Cinnaminson NJ .....across the bridge from phila. (south jersey)
Mary

Kitagrl Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #23 of 95

I wonder if we should start like a Yahoo group or something? That way we could be like "Hey I got a lady in NYC who wants a cake, anyone that can help?" or something like that...

crumbscakeartistry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 95

Once CakeCentral 3.0 comes out we should have the abbility to create groups and do mass pm's. This sounds like it would be perfect for all of us. Make a group for our area and PM news about cake competitions, help w/ projects, etc. I am excited and cannot wait!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:54pm
post #25 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbscakeartistry

Once CakeCentral 3.0 comes out we should have the abbility to create groups and do mass pm's. This sounds like it would be perfect for all of us. Make a group for our area and PM news about cake competitions, help w/ projects, etc. I am excited and cannot wait!

Oh I didn't know about that...cool!

crumbscakeartistry Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 4:58pm
post #26 of 95

Does anyone know of any upcoming events in the area? Anything else to share with the group? Sometimes on CC they tend to fall through the cracks. I know the Mid-Atlantic Show is in April. Anything else to mark on our calendars?

CoreyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoreyV Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #27 of 95

I could throw up a group on myspace if anyone is on there

CreatedByMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreatedByMe Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #28 of 95

i'm on my space.
let me know if you do it. PM me and I'll send you my username

tara

mmo88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmo88 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #29 of 95

Im from Elizabeth, NJ. About 30 minutes from Sandra, as a matter of fact, my daughter who is also into cake decorating, lives in Sayreville. It would be great if we could have like a group or something.

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:52pm
post #30 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatedByMe

I'm in North jersey (on the Rockland Co. NY border)
Nice to "meet" others from the area!
tara

I live in North East PA now, but originally I'm from Rockland County...Pearl River. You say you're on the border....Mahwah?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%