How To Do A Pink Halloween / Christmas Cake???

Decorating By dlksf Updated 21 Sep 2006 , 10:44pm by dlksf

dlksf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlksf Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 17

I have lurked about these terrific forums for a couple of months now, and have been taking a beginning cake decorating class for the past couple of weeks. So I thought I'd take the plunge and offer to make a cake for my niece's birthday party on October 22 (she's turning four). However, it turns out that she has VERY specific ideas about what she wants for the cake! She wants to have a pink cake, decorated with a witch, a pumpkin and a candy cane. Eclectic tastes, no?

Sooo, I'm a little bit at a loss. I'm thinking that I'll make a round cake (either chocolate or yellow, not sure which yet) with buttercream icing tinted pink. But how to incorporate the witch, pumpkin and candy cane on top without the colors clashing horribly - and whether to design them as flat designs, candy forms or some other way - is a big mystery for me! Perhaps it cannot be done, but given the high level of skill and imagination on these forums, it seemed like this was the place to ask about it.

If anyone has any ideas on how to design this cake, I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance!

16 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 17

The witch and pumpkin are easy, but what about the witch RIDING a candy cane and the INSIDE of the cake to be pink (such as strawberry) or tinted pink? that way she has her pink, and it won't interfere with the theme on top.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 17

I would frost it in pink, color the witch's dress a color that would compliment the pink. I would have the witch riding on the candy cane. I would just put the jack-o-lantern somewhere to the side. There's really now way that all the colors will match, but I'm sure it will be fun and festive and most importantly, a four year old is going to love it.

Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 17

Have you tried FBCT?
http://cakecentral.com/article12-How_To_Create_a_Frozen_Buttercream_Transfer.html
You could make it like a pink sunset (lite pink base and use wilton mist color to create a gradually darker pink... or white base and fade from pink to orange) with a FBCT witch holding a candy cane and a pumpkin at her feet. Maybe make her holding her dress up and see her red and white striped socks like in The Wizard of OZ.

Molds would work as well. Maybe her name and Happy Birthday on top and molds around the sides of the cake.

And there's always the doll cake... you could even make part of the outfit pink. Here's a few links... of examples here on CC.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=witch&cat=0&pos=53&search=witch
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=witch&cat=0&pos=60&search=witch

Sounds like it'll be a fun cake to make. I bet with all the ideas you get you'll be inspired to come up with something great!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 17

I love the sunset idea and the red and white stockings! Make her riding a candy cane with a pumpkin at her feet! Love it!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 17

Who says a pumpkin has to be orange? Have you ever seen a 4 year olds paintings? Your idea sounds good, maybe just make the pumpkin a pale shade of orange. I am sure she will love what ever you do.

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 17

You have to post pictures when you get done with this cake!

I can't wait to see what you come up with and I am sure that your neice will love it!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 17

I love the idea of the witch riding the candy cane! Maybe if it has a little "loop" or the "J" part at the end, the pumpkin could be hanging from that!

I think if the witch is a little girl w/ maybe a pale pink/peach face and perhaps her dress is purple (what little girl doesn't love purple?) and then you have a darker pink - but maybe not red candy cane - and then just the orange pumpkin - and a very very light pink icing for the whole cake - I don't think the colors will clash at all. Pink, purple, and orange are the colors of a sunset anyway - you could off-set it a little w/ a white shell border and little pink, purple, and orange dots alternating around imbetween the shells..... I think it will turn out cute!

What a strange idea - that's four year old's for you! Is a candy cane her favorite type of candy? I'm trying to figure out where that came from..... LOL Make sure you post a pic!!!!

Oh yeah - and if you can create a picture like that, you could do a Frozen Buttercream Transfer or a Chocolate Transfer - search in the Articles for tips on how to do them - they're both basically the same thing - just once is chocolate and one is with buttercream. Good luck!

dlksf Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 17

Wow - I'm very impressed and incredibly grateful for your quick replies! I would not have thought of any of them (a witch riding a candy cane? FBCT? Inspired!) so I have a ton more to work with than I had only an hour ago. Since I have a few weeks, I will explore my capabilities of doing the different techniques suggested, and then will hopefully be able to make a cake that Hannah (my niece) will love. And if I'm not feeling too bashful, I'll post pictures of it as well. icon_smile.gif

Thank you all very much!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 17

Don't be bashful! I have a different picture in my head (man I wish I could draw - great ideas and no talent to draw them!) but I found this really cute clipart!

Here's the link: http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/halloween/trick-or-treaters.shtml

And I'll attach the picture!
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 17

I have found window cling decorations to be a great source for pictures that can be copied as a transfer. There are about 4 on a page, and they're only a dollar in most stores.

Now, I would make the witch's hat and gown black with a pink band around her hat and pink cuffs on the sleeves. Pink shoes peeking out from the front of her robe.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 17

Just a little side note to all the wonderful suggestions. Try using the pink and any complimentary color to pink instead of the 'normal' colors. The cake is for a little girl and little girl cakes mean you get to pretty it up, all glittery, and sparkely. Have fun with it and think outside of the cake box.

Gloria I

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 17

imartsy-

OMG!!! That has to be the cutest little witch ever!

Maybe you could fill up her little trick-or-treat pumkin with candy canes? Or make the broomstick candy cane striped?
And I love the idea of decking her out in pink shoes, hat and sash!

So cute!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 17

I like the idea of a doll cake. Make the doll a witch with a pink dress. She could have candy cane and pumpkin decorations all around the bottom trim of her dress.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 17

how 'bout a pumpkin full of candy canes????

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 17

I like the doll cake idea too. You could make the doll into a witch holding a candy cane broom and a trick or treat pumpkin. good luck and can't wait to see pics!!

dlksf Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 17

Many thanks again for all of the swift responses! I will have to talk with Hannah's mom to see whether her daughter had a "good witch" or a "bad witch" in mind. If she wants a wicked witch, I really like the idea of doing an FBCT of a witch on a candy cane "broom." If she wants a Glinda type of witch or a witch like the really cute one provided by imartsy on page 1 of this thread), maybe I'll do an FBCT or maybe I'll do a doll cake.

Of course, this is presuming that I can actually DO frozen buttercream transfers and/or doll cakes by October 22... that may be a little optimistic! I'll have to get cracking on trying these things out.

And to answer imartsy, I have no idea how Hannah came up with this particular decorating scheme - she's mostly into chocolate (that's my girl!), not candy canes. It may be just her excitement about Thanksgiving and Christmas. She's a pretty precocious little girl... it is pretty cute that she has all of these definite ideas about her birthday cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%