Please Help, Icing Sliding Off My Cakes- See My Pics

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm by foxymomma521

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 29

I made 3 cakes to be displayed on the Wilton Cakes and more stand. I finished them last nite, and they are for a baptism on Sunday. Well, after working on baking and icing and decorating for 12 hrs I woke up to find my icing sliding off my cake!!!!!!!!!!! I am giving it to the customer this morning, because we are going camping this weekend... PLEASE HELP!! Do I tell her to keep it in the fridge? Will that make it worse? You can actually see moisture (looks like drops of water) along the bottom border of all 3 cakes. I have central air, and keep it at 72. She doesn't. I just don't know how to prevent it from getting worse. TIA
I just uploaded the pics, it is VERY noticable on the 6" round...

28 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 29

Bump... please, anyone??

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 29

come on guys- 23 views and nobody has any advice? Should she put it in the fridge?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 29

I would definitely say to keep it in the fridge unless you want to ice them over again. What type of icing did you use? Were you using the no-transfat shortening?

Debbie

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 29

I'm so sorry no one has helped you! I hate when that happens - when there's a bunch of views and not one reply!!!

I don't know if I'll be much help.....'cause I don't know for sure....but I would think that putting it in the 'fridge wouldn't hurt any. It'll help make the icing "set" so I don't think it would slide off any more. Especially if she doesn't have a/c - it would probably be your best bet.

By the way...I looked at the photos...and they look great to me! I can't even tell that the icing is sliding at all (or did you take the photos before it happened?)

Good luck icon_smile.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 29

Your cakes look very nice except for your problem!! Were they completely cooled before you iced them? That's all I know that would cause the problem and the only way I know to remedy that is to take that icing off and start over. I don't usually refrigerate my cakes either, so I don't know if that causes the problem. Your icing may be too soft alos. Maybe add some powdered sugar to make it a bit more stiff would help. Sorry, I know I'm not much help!

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 29

I wish I could help, but I think I'm one of the few that hasn't really noticed much of a difference in the new crisco. I don't think it would hurt if she put then in the fridge, If they get to warm I think it will make it worse. I've had a few people suggest when using the new crisco to add some corn syryp to your icing and that should help.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 29

thats a tough one (were they completely cooled before you iced them?), do you have time to pull off the decorations and re ice? I think thats what I would do, I know Im not much help icon_sad.gif Hopefully someone else sees this who has better advice.
Beautiful cakes! I lover the colors and deco, you did a great job!!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 29

It sounds like the icing was to thin. I would immediately put it in the fridge. When I use fruit fillings I always put it in the fridge. Were they left out all night?

momthreekiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momthreekiddos Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 29

I vote for keeping them in the fridge, too!

To keep condensation to a minimum, I would make sure that they are all in boxes and advise the lady to take them out of the fridge a bit early and keep them in the boxes until the last minute.

(Oh....and remind her not to stack the HEAVIER box on top of the LIGHTER box! LOL LOL Had a lady do this last week....then call me and PANIC because she "crushed" her little cake! LOL LOL LOL)

Good luck to you and have a WONDERFUL weekend camping!!!!

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 29

I'm not sure what's going on with your cakes (which are very pretty by the way), but I think I would tell the customer to keep them in their boxes in the fridge, especially if she doesn't have AC.

Pretzlchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pretzlchip Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 29

Is it buttercream icing? If so, I would def. put it in the fridge. It usually tastes better after a day in the fridge. At least that's what my grandmother says and she's been doing this a long time and her cakes taste Awesome!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 29

I wish I knew what to say. This has happened to me before at my sister's wedding but I had to reice them. Now when I ice my cakes I trim all around the sides of the cake to give the icing a better grip. Defrosting too quickly can cause this problem. Definately refrigerate!!!!!

KakesandKids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesandKids Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 29

HI,

I looks like your icing might have been to thin. There is a spot where you can see cake too so that was probably the issue (unless the cakes were not fully cooled). If you have the time the best thing to do would be to make a stiffer icing and redo it. It would be a pain but then you would not have to worry about it. If you put the cakes in the fridge you run the risk of them not only being dry, but also of the icing sliding more as the cakes come to room temperature.

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:13pm
post #15 of 29

The cakes were completely cooled before I iced them, I added extra powdered sugar, cornstarch and meringue powder to the icing, and it STILL looks shiny. It has to be the new crisco. The fillings were just raspberry and strawberry Smuckers Seedless jam, so I am not worried about them sitting out, I'm sure it wasn't too thin, because I actually had a hard time with the blue being too hard. It just seems that no matter what I tried there is nothing I can do to fix it. I don't have time to re-ice, we are leaving for camping today, and I have to get everyone ready... (I have a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old) She isn't really paying me for the cake, just the supplies, and she is a good friend, so I know this won't bother her as much as me. I guess I'll just have her store them in the fridge till she needs them. I also just sprinkled a little cornstarch over the top of the cakes. It seemed to help a little... Thank you to everyone for the replies, I have never had this happen before.

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 29

I'm not sure what to tell you....if the buttercream is on the dry side and it gets too cold you don't want it to fall off the cake. hmmm...here's a bump, Im sure someone will have some words of wisdom for you....

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:17pm
post #17 of 29

Oh, and as for the cake where you can see through the icing, it wasn't like that last nite. I was actually proud because it was the first cake I have iced that looked like some of the beauties here on CC. It was smooth all the way around, and you couldn't see any cake through... but when I woke up this morning I found the icing had slid down the cake, and this was the result. Thanks again to everyone.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #18 of 29

Besides the new Crisco thing, I have had icing fall off the cakes too. My problem has usually been when I iced the sides I did not press the icing into or on the cake (does this make a difference, yes it does.) I have found when doing the icer tip I don't do the angle right. The same goes with the spatula does the same thing. Press the icing more into the sides of the cakes. Add more icing when doing this. If it is too much you can take some off afterwards. hth

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 29

I crumb coated each cake and stuck them in the fridge before icing each one.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #20 of 29

gosh I wish I knew what to say to help you. How frusterating!! Maybe if you tossed them into the freezer??
I too am not a huge fan of that new crisco, it is a pain in the bottom!
I hope it all works out well for you, and please try not to wory about it during your camping trip.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #21 of 29

Once you took them out of the fridge to ice them, did they come back to room temp? If you iced them while they were still cold, it's very possible that when the cakes did come to room temp, the cakes "sweated" under the layer of icing and that may be why it slid off.

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 29

I have had the condensation and moisture at the base when my cakes have been to cold. But I have not had my icing slide off...I don't use the new Crisco though. I use Walmarts shortening. It maybe the Crisco. Hope everything works out.

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #23 of 29

well, each one was only in the fridge for maybe 10 minutes, so I didn't think to let them come to room temp. I find they are easier to ice when they are a bit cold. But I do this with every cake, and this has only happened to this one. This is also the first one I made with the new Crisco so I'm still thinking that had something to do with it, but I can't be sure.

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #24 of 29

It must be the new Crisco. I had that happen to me this past Sunday (and on a few other cakes I've made). The cake looked fine on Saturday - late Sunday morning there was a huge bulge where the frosting separated from the cake. It slid off on my way to deliver it. I Recently found a place not too far away that sells Sweetex - thank heavens! NEVER will I use Crisco again!!

christabelle682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christabelle682 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:08pm
post #25 of 29

Kris- it's because it's been so humid here. You can either re-ice or fix them as best you can and keep in fridge. This has happened to me a lot in the last few weeks. I would recommend adding an extra 1-2 tbsp of meringue into your frosting until the weather get's better. I hope this helps- see you in a couple of weeks...

Did you get your coupon?

foxymomma521 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #26 of 29

Hey!! Yes I did get my coupon, and I'm all signed up. Any tips on what to buy, other than the kit and book? Yes, I did add extra meringue powder, it did not help, so I really think it is the Crisco-

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:00am
post #27 of 29

I have recently had the same problem. I make my BC the same everytime and the last cake I made..the night before it was due the iving looked like it was melting away from the cake.....good thing I have seen ALOT of post on the problem w/ the new crisco and took off the icing and added more powdered sugar ( and I use MP in BC as well) and that did seem to help. I am going to have to find an alternative to the new crisco....I can't be worried everytime I make a cake if it is going to have the "melted look"..

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 4:08am
post #28 of 29

I just wanted to add that with the new crisco, I have to really adjust my water. I had problems at first, but now, I add the water last, and only add it in drops until I get the right consistency. It has worked for me. I have to use about half of the water I used to.

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:11pm
post #29 of 29

Oh, that is a good idea... I will try that if I ever use Crisco again. I might just switch to a generic brand of shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%