What Tip To Use For Hibiscus Flower??

Decorating By diane Updated 12 Aug 2007 , 7:30pm by nmrunyon

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 10:27am
post #1 of 20

anyone know what tip to use for hibiscus flowers??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

19 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 20

anyone?? icon_confused.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 20

2D

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 20

I use a 104.

Julie

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 20

ooh, i would love to see a pic of one done in BC.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 20

Does anyone have a pic of one? I actually need to do them this weekend and havent got the slightest clue where to begin..

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 20

Me too. I really wanted to know how to do a hibiscus flower for a cake a did a while back and couldn't figure it out.

shivs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivs Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 20

I made hibiscus flowers with royal icing. The picture is in my photos if youd like an idea. I used the large lily nail and tip 104.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 20

Hello, I have found these directions online but can not remember where, sorry. I have not tried them, I anded up doing them out of gumpaste. it is shown in my photo's. I have to do a bunch for a cake in two weeks so I now have lots of practice! I used a petal cutter and the lily nail set, I did not need them wired. If you want more specific directions on how I did them out of gumpaste please let me know. Best of luck!
Tracy
LL

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 20

tbittner, could you post directions on how you did gumpaste hibiscus? I'd love to know! Or pm me with them? Thanks!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 20

First let me apologize for going off topic, I know the original poster requested buttercream options.

Ok, after trial and error this is what has worked for me. I purchased a hibiscus cutter set. I lined my lily nail set with the dull side of tin foil then placed a small bit of gum paste in the bottom. I rolled out my stamens and put a piece of hooked wire up through it to dry. I rolled out my gum paste and cut 5 petals. I took each petal and rolled it onto a large leaf imprinter ( it is the one that comes with the Wilton Gum Paste Flower set) I then thinned out the edges with my ball roller tool. I placed some gum glue on to the small piece of gum paste in the lily nail and then placed my first petal in the nail. I brushed the side of the petal with gum glue and then placed the next petal slightly overlapping the first into the nail. I did this with all 5 petals and then used the bottom of my roller ball tool to squish it all together at the bottom, making it into one piece instead of the bottom and 5 separate petals. I took it out of the nail set and let dry in the foil for 1 day (I used an egg carton to keep them all separate) The next day I dipped the bottom of the stamen wire into gum glue and poked it through the bottom of my flower to dry all together. I will use petal dust to finish them.
I have tried doing the 5 petals separate and wiring them all together but I could not get them to stay together so this is what I can up with. I hope you can understand my directions, if not please feel free to ask my any questions. I know this is not the "correct" way to do the flowers but it will work for my purposes. I have included a picture of an unfinished one for you.
Tracy
LL

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 20

ooh that is beautiful!!! thanks for sharing.
I just bought the cutters from my local cake store. They are from creative cutters.com. i scanned the instructions and have them on my work pc only, i will email them to anyone who might want them. just drop me an email (i think i have that option added here on CC) or leave me a pm with your email.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

anyone know what tip to use for hibiscus flowers??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

The same tip as the petunia would work.

103/ 104 ....

Here's how to make a petunia. To make it a hibiscus add the pistol that has been studded with stamen to the center of the petunia.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/petunia.cfm

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 1:04am
post #14 of 20

Thanks cakeprincess & tbittner! I've got a Hawaii themed cake in a few weeks & haven't decided btw. RI or GP flowers. I may try theme both to see which look better (or based on how much the customer wants to pay).

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #15 of 20

wow that flower is gorgeous

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 3:26am
post #16 of 20

Hi there, you can check my gallery for a cake I did last week. I used tip 104 for fairly large Hibiscus flowers out of buttercream. Tip 4 for the stamen and tip 1 for the dots at the tip of the stamen. I also did greenery you might be interested in, it made the cake very tropical and appropriate for an Okinawan themed cake. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Thanks cakeprincess

You are welcome lecrn.

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 2:07am
post #18 of 20

the petunia its no a hibiscus